The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How long are you expecting to keep your Grenadier?

How long are you planning on keeping your Grenadoer

• Total voters

Stevos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
Generally, a couple of years is a long time for me, with a couple of exceptions, 2013 Defender 110 xs, bought new still got it, always will, though it is in the middle of an m57 engine swap. Had all the Discos & a few Rangies over the years with different things in between, New Defender in 2020, nice enough just a bit Meh! 14 months 17k miles, gone.
It's early days, only had it a week but I've got a good feeling the Grenadiers gonna be a keeper. We shall see...love it so far.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Generally, a couple of years is a long time for me, with a couple of exceptions, 2013 Defender 110 xs, bought new still got it, always will, though it is in the middle of an m57 engine swap. Had all the Discos & a few Rangies over the years with different things in between, New Defender in 2020, nice enough just a bit Meh! 14 months 17k miles, gone.
It's early days, only had it a week but I've got a good feeling the Grenadiers gonna be a keeper. We shall see...love it so far.
Can you say who is doing your M57 engine swap?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Me! It's taking a while, spare time etc, but I'm self employed so that's scarce, I I'll get there.
You obviously have some talent. Getting the conversion right will obviously be a challenge although it seems there is lots of support and advice out there. Best of luck with it all.

Stevos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You obviously have some talent. Getting the conversion right will obviously be a challenge although it seems there is lots of support and advice out there. Best of luck with it all.
Thanks, yeah, it's a challenge but I enjoy it, should be good when it's done🤞

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
Right now, I feel like keeping it until one us dies. Truly love the car, the driving experience, the looks.
This car replaced my previous forever car, a 2005 Lotus Elise. The Elise is one of the best, most raw driving experience yet could not compete with what the Grenadier brings to the table at this point.
Realistically, I will prob reevaluate in 15 years.
Thanks Stu for sending an email reminder about this thread!

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
I voted 10+ years.
Owned mine 7 months and 5,000 miles, One oil change (Which was easily done by myself, in the garage, no specialty tools required.(y))
The Grenadier isn't my daily, as I try to use my BMW R1250RT as commuter/errand runner weather permitting.
I absolutely enjoy this truck. As all vehicles, there are a couple dislikes, but overall, I will always enjoy the driving experience of this kind of machine.
I owned a 1997 Defender 90 SW NA Spec and a 1964 88" Series IIa for ten years. And too many great 4WD's to mention. So I'm hoping the Grenadier puts the same spark in my step as did those two trucks.
To date, I like the Gren more than I liked the Defender, However, we're talking almost 30 years of time passing between the two and 60 years between the Series IIa!
But what the Grenadier doesn't have is the Charisma the Series Land Rover possessed! Still missing that truck. And If I lived in a rural setting I may not have ever sold the IIA....

My thoughts are, people who buy or have bought the Grenadier to use mostly as a commuter will likely find themselves unhappy after a short period of time. There are so many better options available.
I saw this happen in the US market with the older Defenders.

Cheers my Fellow Grenny Owners.
Get out and truly enjoy this amazing truck!

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
I have a Donny Grey Fieldmaster, with the addition of Trialmaster extras (Diff locks, tyres), towbar and snorkel. I loved the look and character of the Grenadier from the very beginning. However, after my first on-road test drive, I began to have second thoughts. The steering was terrible. The centre screen was awful. But I took delivery in September 23, in the hope that I could still turn a small profit. That proved to be wishful thinking! I kept my Grenadier "as new" for the next 8 months with only 500 miles listed on Autotrader. However, I was compelled to start driving it in May when, after returning to the UK from a 4-month period in Australia, my "everyday" 10-year-old Merc CLS Shooting Brake developed a fault. I decided to try something - I removed the steering damper. The car's steering improved so much that it was almost normal (still got the play, but far less noticeable). It now almost returns to straight ahead without actively turning the steering wheel (almost - it still needs the last few cms to bring it straight - but it is now very light). I have driven on all sorts of roads, motorways, gravel, farm tracks, fields and found no issues. If I ever decide to drive across a rocky desert, I will put it back. I intend to put a little toe-in and alter the camber slightly (I've seen youtube video how to do that) which I hope will improve its self centering even more. So that left the centre screen. I just can't see it in any sort of sunshine. And that is a disgrace! Ineos MUST sort out that screen. Either aim it so it can be viewed straight on or make it much brighter, and/or coloured. I've made a sunshade for it, but that barely helps. I'm going to see if I can remove the screen and refit it with a tilt so it more nearly faces me, then make up a new consul around it. I'm also looking to fit a GPS speedometer (like these often fitted to speedboats) so I get an analogue speedometer in front of me. Ineos missed a great opportunity to provide simple round analogue speedo and tacho dials instead of that silly warnings screen. The rear load area, being at a different level from the folded rear seats, is poor design. I am going to get a false floor/under-floor storage made and I hope that will overcome the issue. I'm rather short in stature, and found that a bolster cushion improved my vision forward, so I am making a 5 cm lift on the seat frame. So, after all my mods, I am finding the Grenadier tolerable. I am going to buy a new Mercedes estate car to replace the 10-year-old one and I'm going to sell my 09 Defender and keep the Grenadier. Once I've got it all comfortable, (and because I don't think I'll be able to sell it any time soon!) I've decided to keep it after all. A disappointed but resigned owner.
I completely agree about the screen/gauge cluster. What a disappointment. A total miss by Ineos.
One other thing they really neglected was the audio/stereo! Holy mother of God! That system is beyond anemic for a truck with the price point its in.

Lilith

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
Never have kept any vehicle that long, maybe a few years, but probably would only trade the Grenny in to get a newer more updated model, or maybe just keep it.

Reactions: Max

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am still waiting for mine. Not yet in production but has August for delivery. I am beginning to think it won't make it.

My grenadier is replacing my end of line 90. When I got the 90 I thought that would be it for our utility vehicle. It would see me through like so many other defenders. It probably could have been as I have looked after it well. It's been reliable; it's still shiny and well-upgraded with extras. But the rubbers are going to start needing replacing due to age and the problem with the final defenders was everything was so tightly packed that you need to remove so much to get to certain areas. It was a niggle but not one I was taking that seriously as more expensive servicing is still cheaper than a new vehicle. But someone offered to buy it from me at the same price I bought it 9 years ago. And that put me in a heart vs head position. They gave me a chance to think about it, and I looked at the various alternatives and wasn't really interested in any of them until testing the Grenadier and it gave me defender vibes in all the areas I like. So, if I did 9 years with the 90, then I think I can do 9 years with the Grenadier.

Whether I hold onto it for another 9 years will largely depend on how the vehicle changes over the model years. Health allowing, I hope to have another 25 years of needing a utility vehicle. So, it could do it but I suspect I will change in 10 years and then go for my final one then.
If you are following "production" via the weblink, don't believe it. Call IA directly and speak to someone for an update on delivery. :)

Reactions: Max

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am a new Grenadier owner. I bought the vehicle as a do-all commuter, overlander, and off-roader. I love it so far. I will be keeping mine as long as the maintenance and repair costs are reasonable once out of warranty. Though I am aware that I have purchased a vehicle for a start up company, I do have a certain level of expectation regarding reliability and general ease of ownership. Reliability is key for me as I try to spend as much time traveling and camping as possible. Breaking down in the Utah backcountry can mean support is a long way off. However, I expect to have to work though some of those new car bugs. Thankfully we have a good dealer in the SLC metro region. As of today, I am at 3862 miles. Yesterday I experienced my first check engine light and seem to have a front drive shaft seal leak as well. Appointment with the dealer on Monday. Love driving it and want to continue to do so for quite some time.
Hi ErnieB - ah you have joined the "Leaking Transfer Case / Failed Drive Shaft Seal" club :) Replacing the seals in August. Own a 96 Discovery ... the leaking transfer case was an issue with her for a long time. The SLC dealer has a good reputation from some Forum members. All the best and let us know what the Dealer says.

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The rusty rear cross member is a design feature - it's patina shows the world how badass you are (and only hints at the horrors occurring underneath 😲) It's the automotive equivalent of wearing your jeans at half-mast so the people behind you can see your underwear :LOL:

View attachment 7864074
IMG_2099.jpeg
Sans paroles.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I voted 10+ years.
Owned mine 7 months and 5,000 miles, One oil change (Which was easily done by myself, in the garage, no specialty tools required.(y))
The Grenadier isn't my daily, as I try to use my BMW R1250RT as commuter/errand runner weather permitting.
I absolutely enjoy this truck. As all vehicles, there are a couple dislikes, but overall, I will always enjoy the driving experience of this kind of machine.
I owned a 1997 Defender 90 SW NA Spec and a 1964 88" Series IIa for ten years. And too many great 4WD's to mention. So I'm hoping the Grenadier puts the same spark in my step as did those two trucks.
To date, I like the Gren more than I liked the Defender, However, we're talking almost 30 years of time passing between the two and 60 years between the Series IIa!
But what the Grenadier doesn't have is the Charisma the Series Land Rover possessed! Still missing that truck. And If I lived in a rural setting I may not have ever sold the IIA....

My thoughts are, people who buy or have bought the Grenadier to use mostly as a commuter will likely find themselves unhappy after a short period of time. There are so many better options available.
I saw this happen in the US market with the older Defenders.

Cheers my Fellow Grenny Owners.
Get out and truly enjoy this amazing truck!
Speak for yourself on the "daily" drive or better talk to some of us that use it daily - I love mine!!! It's not about what "options" are available ... it's about the daily drive experience!! The "G" is not a garage ornament.
Cheers!

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Unless I've been outmaneuvered, at 83 knocking on 84, I'm still the oldest Grenadier owner - perhaps I'll learn differently from this post - any offers?
How long will I keep it? Well, there can't be that many miles left in this old corpse, so if the bugs, viruses, senility and the "antiques shouldn't drive mob" don't ground me, I reckon my kids will be using it as my hearse.......
If only someone would tell me how for that is ahead.:D
Keep on trucking Hicarus!

Tony H

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My coffin is ready, my roof rack is on. If I put the box with the seats down my feet will still stick out, but off the ground.
My top lights will be on, with the strobe lights flashing. With a slow short ride to the church no one will stop me.
The front winch to lower me into the ground, why INEOS used a that little winch rope.
With a "Toot" my Inky Black will clear over the ditch, then effortlessly over the mound of mud, driving into the end of the rainbow & rain.
& to my epitaph sticking out of the ground, those famous words will say "If he wanted a car to drive to those gates, he should have got a Defender"

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Considering what I have now learned about ADAS being required in the future, unknown how much longer new ICE cars will be sold, and how long I expect this to last, and the unlikelihood of another vehicle like this coming to market…I’m expecting to hold onto this one forever. I’m 39.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
Don’t you have to recapture the depreciation when you sell it?
No.
Provided the market value is equal to or less than the final depreciated value.
So $50K vehicle that has an estimated value of $20K in 5 years can only be depreciated down to $20K
The only issue we have is you can only value the vehicle up to $69K max starting value

Back
Top Bottom