The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Long road trip report

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
Assuming your answer to that question; would you swap out a part as simple as the steering stabilizer (assuming it was free or didn’t otherwise effect you monetarily) if it could bring your steering to a state that felt more normal or traditional. Especially if other people were expecting to drive your truck from time to time.
The problem with swapping steering your factory stabilizer for a less stiff design is that you dramatically increase the likelihood of an uncontrolled front steering system oscillation. You may never experience this problem but people are reporting exactly this issue after swapping stabilizers.
If you’ve never experienced the issue you are fortunate and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
Both nice trucks. Is it a 60 or a 62? My D90 was a ‘94 NAS and I do miss it. If you’re a Defender guy you might have seen Frankenrover. The Maroon 110 pickup thing with Unimog portals. I did all of the fabrication on that truck before its mission changed and it got a remodel.

Anyways, you say the G’s steering doesn’t bother you? I have to assume it’s stock correct. With that assumption, I ask does it feel “normal”. Does it feel like your D90 or FJ? Your comment that it doesn’t bother you simply implies it’s fine how it is, not that it’s ideal or normal in any capacity except that it gets the job done.

Assuming your answer to that question; would you swap out a part as simple as the steering stabilizer (assuming it was free or didn’t otherwise effect you monetarily) if it could bring your steering to a state that felt more normal or traditional. Especially if other people were expecting to drive your truck from time to time.
Ah yes, the Frankenrover, I do remember this one. Mine was a 62 and also a 70's FJ40.
I grew up with Series and FJs back in the '70s in the jungles of Papua New Guinea.
No other car brands back then except LR and Toyotas and of course, all diesel engines.

My wife drives the IG also. She is used to it. We also drive an LR3 which can spoil you with its smooth steering and air suspension.
Would I swap out the steering stabilizer? Free or not, I probably wouldn't for now.

Also, this steering topic has been discussed here for years already in the forum.
I knew what I signed up for, but we all hope that in the next IG iteration, new/improved features would be made.
Again, my wish for now is the turning radius.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
I could write a book about my life's choices and experiences , meal preferences and vehicles that I have bought that were fit for the purpose for which I bought them.
But then I'd be endlessly criticised and need "therapy" and antihypertensives.
What a colossal waste of energy!

Local time
Reaction score
I could write a book about my life's choices and experiences , meal preferences and vehicles that I have bought that were fit for the purpose for which I bought them.
But then I'd be endlessly criticised and need "therapy" and antihypertensives.
What a colossal waste of energy!
I don’t know… I always love hearing about good food! As for vehicles, some of my favorites have been those pressed into service they were never designed for!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t know… I always love hearing about good food! As for vehicles, some of my favorites have been those pressed into service they were never designed for!
Most car guys have been there and done that. And eaten whatever food they could find to fill their belly.
Some people are easily satisfied and merely grateful to be alive and healthy 🫠
Who'd want to be a whingeing old prick?

Dokatd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The problem with swapping steering your factory stabilizer for a less stiff design is that you dramatically increase the likelihood of an uncontrolled front steering system oscillation. You may never experience this problem but people are reporting exactly this issue after swapping stabilizers.
If you’ve never experienced the issue you are fortunate and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
Well I have on the Grenadier. Maybe not 100% what you’re speaking of, but most certainly Death Wobble. The real Death Wobble, not just some concerning shaking.

In stock form I found that removing the steering stabilizer all together made things tolerable for me. Truck drove fine and never really had an issue. My plan was to put on a lighter stabilizer at some point but I hadn’t got there yet. I did have the caster properly set by Grenadier Sewell.

Now, I added the leveling/lift springs from Eibach. Pretty simple right. Truck was OK but it certainly behaved a bit differently as one would expect. Within a day or so I had my Owl Wheels and some 315/70R17’s installed. Generally the truck drove well and I was pleased enough with it. But a day before I set off on a trip from Dallas to Colorado Springs I hit a bump on the highway at about 75mph that put the truck into a 100% uncontrolled death wobble. I barely got the truck stopped before I hit the wall in the up coming turn. I limped home and immediately put the stock stabilizer back on. The increased track width, tires and lift combined certainly caused some issues that needed to be resolved. I went on the trip to Colo Springs and all was ok but the steering wasn’t great and there were some issues associated with emergency braking etc that I wanted to correct.

My hope was that the Fox ATS adjustable stabilizer would solve my issues. And it certainly solved a ton of them. Ultimately adding the Kings made the truck behave close enough to my expectations son I am happy now.

That said, for the most part a stabilizer is a stabilizer a stabilizer. Meaning there is no magic to the Grenadiers stock stabilizer that pretty much every other stabilizer in the world has. The differences could be installer defects, mounting method and level of dampening.

The original method used on the FOX stabilizer was cobbled together and sold prematurely to fix a glaring issue people had. Ultimately it worked ok but was an installation compromise. Both Owl and I think Agile have addressed this with a new less compromised brackets. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still not ideal but it gets the job done much better.

As well, there are two FOX stabilizers at least. One is ashy and the other is not. I cannot speak to the dampening of the non adjustable version as it may be too soft or hard.

So to get back on track, I am very aware some people have had issues with the FOX setup. And I have to assume their experience is just as valid as mine. The only problem is I cannot speak to the diagnostic completed if any by the installer of the units that people took issue with. Most have no skin in the game and are just billing shop hours to swap parts I suspect. But the reality is that the FOX stabilizer is capable of performing as well or better than the stock part and should not have been the root issue. It’s possible these people got a defective stabilizer, a poorly adjusted stabilizer or the part was installed incorrectly. I just don't know, but the problem is not inherent to swapping a stabilizer is all I am saying.

Local time
Reaction score
Most car guys have been there and done that. And eaten whatever food they could find to fill their belly.
Some people are easily satisfied and merely grateful to be alive and healthy 🫠
Who'd want to be a whingeing old prick?
I am afraid that becoming “a whingeing old prick” is a fate all of us must fight! 🤣

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I am afraid that becoming “a whingeing old prick” is a fate all of us must fight! 🤣
Insight is a good thing. The pathway from angry young man to grumpy old man might be well trodden, but who wants to be surrounded by grumpy whingeing old people? Not me. Doesn't sound like much fun.

Dual Grenny Guy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7875086
If you really want good steak, learn to cook it yourself! Perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned.
It is far easier than making successful design changes to any automobile…
Cooking yourself or having a great dinning experience with great food…….🤔
1729975240720.gif

1729975262593.gif

Local time
Reaction score
With all the different opinions and theories about modded or not modded, steering being good or bad, people loving or not loving and so much criticism of people with different views whether perceived, factual or just fanciful I would like to point out we all have different requirements, wants and needs
Many in Australia swear Toyota is the best and only car to tour remote with due to reliability and the amount of service centres
I have driven several Toyotas and find them dull, poor handling, poor interior finishes and the list goes on
I currently use a LR Discovery, I find all the things I dislike about the Toyota are 100% better in my much loved Disco which I have driven throughout Australia including some extreme off road and remote locations
Many think I am nuts because they are considered so unreliable yet I have never been stranded by it, touch wood now
Point is each other own with neither right or wrong because everyone has different preferences and thought processes

I also wonder how many of the people not just here but in general modify their 4wds not because they need the mod but because they are mall crawlers with the look at me mentality and very insecure owners

Dual Grenny Guy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With all the different opinions and theories about modded or not modded, steering being good or bad, people loving or not loving and so much criticism of people with different views whether perceived, factual or just fanciful I would like to point out we all have different requirements, wants and needs
Many in Australia swear Toyota is the best and only car to tour remote with due to reliability and the amount of service centres
I have driven several Toyotas and find them dull, poor handling, poor interior finishes and the list goes on
I currently use a LR Discovery, I find all the things I dislike about the Toyota are 100% better in my much loved Disco which I have driven throughout Australia including some extreme off road and remote locations
Many think I am nuts because they are considered so unreliable yet I have never been stranded by it, touch wood now
Point is each other own with neither right or wrong because everyone has different preferences and thought processes

I also wonder how many of the people not just here but in general modify their 4wds not because they need the mod but because they are mall crawlers with the look at me mentality and very insecure owners
Dang so close. I almost agreed to your entire post except the last paragraph when you kind of went against your own post. 🤷‍♂️

At first you sounded like everyone has their own opinions and likes/dislikes then the last paragraph you call mall crawlers very insecure. I guess that does check the box of us all having our own opinions and yours appear to be anti mall crawlers. I guess I am on the other side. If a vehicle owner loves the Offroad look, whether they will take it off any paved road or not, and want to spend their own money on their own vehicle who am I call to them insecure. I don’t know them personally. I have known some very weak looking men (stature, size, whatever), but when you look closer and see the cauliflower ears, you know he trains and can handle himself. So what about a truck owner who never used the truck bed or tow or any work related activities, should they only own a sedan? What about Porsche owners who never race or take their finely tuned sports car to the track, aren’t Porsche built for the track basically? So the owner who keeps theirs in the garage and only takes it out on the weekends for pleasure cruises down the coasts are Rich insecure people? Could go on and on. I promise I am not trying to start another argument, just don’t agree with the last part. People should be able to do what they want with their vehicles in any (legal 😉) manner & not be called names or looked down on. Not saying you or anyone on here does that, but I have read enough threads/posts to see some feel this way. And yes you have the right to say how you feel, just as I have the same right to say the opposite…….we can just agree to disagree, even if I’m right. 🤪😎

Dokatd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Sadly this is a huge portion of people here in the states, not the insecure part specifically. But as Dual Grenny said, more power to them.

Local time
Reaction score
If people think driving a jacked up , huge tires, fuel guzzling covered in mods mall crawlers is a acceptable thought process in the world we find ourselves in I doubt they have considered a wider view of the environment and society as whole IMO
So from my perspective no, not power to them or each to their own and they can do whatever they want because there are many things to consider not just individual wants

Back
Top Bottom