The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How long are you expecting to keep your Grenadier?

How long are you planning on keeping your Grenadoer

• Total voters

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
I expect a very long ownership - I selected ten+ in the survey, but it could well be lifetime. I expect to own several Grenadiers in that time.

One thing I can say is that in 14k miles, I've had no major issues - and any I've had I believe are software related, generally. I'd say that mechanically, it is incredibly stout.

Given the unique looks and design, I think there's a real argument for long term value of the Grenadier - it may have the right combination to be a classic.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:15 PM
Reaction score
Unless I've been outmaneuvered, at 83 knocking on 84, I'm still the oldest Grenadier owner - perhaps I'll learn differently from this post - any offers?
How long will I keep it? Well, there can't be that many miles left in this old corpse, so if the bugs, viruses, senility and the "antiques shouldn't drive mob" don't ground me, I reckon my kids will be using it as my hearse.......
If only someone would tell me how for that is ahead.:D
The slightly annoying thing is that taking the back seats out, whilst space for a long wooden box, the floor isn't level.
As my father used to say, time is the big enemy. In the meantime live every day assuming it is your last.

koen

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:15 PM
Reaction score
I am planning to give the grenadier to my youngest son (who is 22 now) on the day it's an oldtimer. In Belgium that is 30 years. Since I am 57 now, it's likely that I wont be able to drive it when I am 87 :)

Local time
Reaction score
Several months before my Grenadier was scheduled to be completed and shipped to the US, my 2015 Ram Rebel began experiencing weird issues with the air suspension, such as the car bouncing up and down while driving it. I was not going to pay a lot to have that fixed, only to have something else go wrong so I trade it in. With really no option to wait, I did the counter-intuitive thing and bought a 2023 Defender 90 on coil springs. I really like it, but when the new car warranty runs out in 2028, I will probably try to score a Grenadier on the RDS lot.

Local time
Reaction score
I use the vehicle 85% for work so can claim it on tax.
Typically I can claim depreciation of the vehicle value over a minimum of 5 years but there are a lot of rules on maximum starting value etc that my accountant can work out.
You really need to keep them for 5 years to maximise that I believe.
Don’t you have to recapture the depreciation when you sell it?

richsonntag

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
I have had my Grenadier for just over one year now and it's becoming part of the family. I feel that it drives better now than when it was new.
I originally purchased it hoping that it has been "Built to Last" and I can keep it for many years. I feel that a well built vehicle that can be repaired and that will last for many years must be better for the environment than scrapping cars / electric cars after 6 to 10 years.
Obviously the service manual will be super useful once it's outside of the manufacturers warranty 🤞
I have kept my D-90 alive for 17+ years and hope to do at least the same with my new Trailmaster!

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am 61 and normally I keep vehicles no longer than 5 years.
My intention with the Grenadier is for it to be the last vehicle I buy.
So hopefully 30 years at least
I am the same age as you and the same intention. I do not know how long I am permitted to drive according to regulation on driving licenses. There are intentions in the government to make license holders a regular test. So my intention is to keep and drive the Grenadier as long as I am safely able to and may be pass it on in the family.

Nadir5

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
Lifetime for some of us isn’t as long as for others (in my case likely 20-30 more years, but unlikely I’ll be wheeling in that last decade). I’ve had my Land Rover Defender for 25 years - would like to think I’ll have the Grenadier for a similar period of time.

DoubleDoom

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:15 PM
Reaction score
I am still waiting for mine. Not yet in production but has August for delivery. I am beginning to think it won't make it.

My grenadier is replacing my end of line 90. When I got the 90 I thought that would be it for our utility vehicle. It would see me through like so many other defenders. It probably could have been as I have looked after it well. It's been reliable; it's still shiny and well-upgraded with extras. But the rubbers are going to start needing replacing due to age and the problem with the final defenders was everything was so tightly packed that you need to remove so much to get to certain areas. It was a niggle but not one I was taking that seriously as more expensive servicing is still cheaper than a new vehicle. But someone offered to buy it from me at the same price I bought it 9 years ago. And that put me in a heart vs head position. They gave me a chance to think about it, and I looked at the various alternatives and wasn't really interested in any of them until testing the Grenadier and it gave me defender vibes in all the areas I like. So, if I did 9 years with the 90, then I think I can do 9 years with the Grenadier.

Whether I hold onto it for another 9 years will largely depend on how the vehicle changes over the model years. Health allowing, I hope to have another 25 years of needing a utility vehicle. So, it could do it but I suspect I will change in 10 years and then go for my final one then.

ErnieB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score
I am a new Grenadier owner. I bought the vehicle as a do-all commuter, overlander, and off-roader. I love it so far. I will be keeping mine as long as the maintenance and repair costs are reasonable once out of warranty. Though I am aware that I have purchased a vehicle for a start up company, I do have a certain level of expectation regarding reliability and general ease of ownership. Reliability is key for me as I try to spend as much time traveling and camping as possible. Breaking down in the Utah backcountry can mean support is a long way off. However, I expect to have to work though some of those new car bugs. Thankfully we have a good dealer in the SLC metro region. As of today, I am at 3862 miles. Yesterday I experienced my first check engine light and seem to have a front drive shaft seal leak as well. Appointment with the dealer on Monday. Love driving it and want to continue to do so for quite some time.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I selected 10+ in the survey. This is the last ICE vehicle I will own. The other 2 of our cars are electric.

I am still kicking myself for selling my LR D2 G4 edition. I loved that vehicle but it was unreliable and cracked block put me over the edge. I do believe the grenadier will go the distance. I love it much more than my 2004 D2 :)

I am enjoying taking my time adding little bits of improvements and customizations.

I agree with Anand this is a very well built vehicle and has really been trouble free aside for a rear door lock. I look forward to getting another little camper to tow behind as well.

JohnF

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score
I have had my Grenadier for just over one year now and it's becoming part of the family. I feel that it drives better now than when it was new.
I originally purchased it hoping that it has been "Built to Last" and I can keep it for many years. I feel that a well built vehicle that can be repaired and that will last for many years must be better for the environment than scrapping cars / electric cars after 6 to 10 years.
Obviously the service manual will be super useful once it's outside of the manufacturers warranty 🤞
I plan to keep both, Wagon and Quartermaster on order forever. I guess that means I should upgrade my membership to this forum.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
I purchased mine with the intent of it being my last vehicle as my age is 68. This vehicle is rotated in use with my 2 Land Cruisers and am hoping that annual mileage will be around 10K miles per year. When we drop down to just one vehicle it will be the Grenadier that stays with us.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well and interesting question and poll ( i've said 5-10 years)
As some of you will know I was early adopter -ordered day 1 and took delivery of Diesel Fieldmaster May 23 after 14 month wait - vin 1250 ish.
It leaked from day 1 and eventually had serious battery drain too. I put 2700 miles on whilst IA tried to resolve my rejection.
Dec 23 they conceeded and said mine will be scrapped, They gave me a loan petrol which i put 2500 miles on no issues. About 4 weeks ago I got my brand new Fieldmaster vin 19500 ish . It now has just 1100 miles on and apart from a connectivity issue with android is so much better than number 1.
Acceleration from stop is smoother, no bings or bongs ( apart from adas) and I am back in love it mode.
I am 62 and saw this as my mid life crisis , having no justification for one other than a passion for good design and engineering.
If it behaves it stays ......if it doesnt I would have no idea what to get that could summon so much attention and road presence.
When it goes for service i'll open the garage and start the 1965 Morris Minor ( which will be ever eager) and use that till Woolfy comes back.

Local time
Reaction score
I traded mine after 3 months. Too many issues for such an expensive vehicle. HVAC and electronics are really bad.

Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
I have a Donny Grey Fieldmaster, with the addition of Trialmaster extras (Diff locks, tyres), towbar and snorkel. I loved the look and character of the Grenadier from the very beginning. However, after my first on-road test drive, I began to have second thoughts. The steering was terrible. The centre screen was awful. But I took delivery in September 23, in the hope that I could still turn a small profit. That proved to be wishful thinking! I kept my Grenadier "as new" for the next 8 months with only 500 miles listed on Autotrader. However, I was compelled to start driving it in May when, after returning to the UK from a 4-month period in Australia, my "everyday" 10-year-old Merc CLS Shooting Brake developed a fault. I decided to try something - I removed the steering damper. The car's steering improved so much that it was almost normal (still got the play, but far less noticeable). It now almost returns to straight ahead without actively turning the steering wheel (almost - it still needs the last few cms to bring it straight - but it is now very light). I have driven on all sorts of roads, motorways, gravel, farm tracks, fields and found no issues. If I ever decide to drive across a rocky desert, I will put it back. I intend to put a little toe-in and alter the camber slightly (I've seen youtube video how to do that) which I hope will improve its self centering even more. So that left the centre screen. I just can't see it in any sort of sunshine. And that is a disgrace! Ineos MUST sort out that screen. Either aim it so it can be viewed straight on or make it much brighter, and/or coloured. I've made a sunshade for it, but that barely helps. I'm going to see if I can remove the screen and refit it with a tilt so it more nearly faces me, then make up a new consul around it. I'm also looking to fit a GPS speedometer (like these often fitted to speedboats) so I get an analogue speedometer in front of me. Ineos missed a great opportunity to provide simple round analogue speedo and tacho dials instead of that silly warnings screen. The rear load area, being at a different level from the folded rear seats, is poor design. I am going to get a false floor/under-floor storage made and I hope that will overcome the issue. I'm rather short in stature, and found that a bolster cushion improved my vision forward, so I am making a 5 cm lift on the seat frame. So, after all my mods, I am finding the Grenadier tolerable. I am going to buy a new Mercedes estate car to replace the 10-year-old one and I'm going to sell my 09 Defender and keep the Grenadier. Once I've got it all comfortable, (and because I don't think I'll be able to sell it any time soon!) I've decided to keep it after all. A disappointed but resigned owner.

gkhaldi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine will stay for as long as I breathe (or have money to fix it 🤣). We just drove from the northern part of Belgium to Faro in Portugal. 2.400 km’s. Didn’t break a sweat, arrived fresh. Drives like a train and it purrs at 115kph.

Am I glad I chose this over the G-wagon (even if the Gren still has some minor issues)

Attachments

• 7FC62645-B79A-4F22-BA6F-B613DA55AE46.jpeg
    7FC62645-B79A-4F22-BA6F-B613DA55AE46.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom