The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Getting Rip off by my dealer

Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
Disagree with this line of reasoning. Just because the dealers can charge 3x the going labor rate doesn’t mean they should. Sure we can tell them to stuff it and move on, but we shouldn’t just take it quietly.

It seems stupid for a manufacturer to offer something only for their dealers make that effort a pointless exercise and piss off the customers. I’m going to bitch about that stupidity, not because I’m a whiny millennial (I’m not), not because I expect something for free (I don’t), but because Ineos, the dealers, the “partner” accessory manufacturers and anyone else with some skin in this game that might be on this forum should know how shitty some of this new company’s customers are being treated.
If the labor was free would you be bitching? nope. Did you mention any other examples of being treated shitty other than having to pay for labor? Nope. So I question the veracity of this claim. I suspect the light is gas.

WE? WE can tell them to stuff it?? Who are you, William Wallace? I'm gonna follow you into battle and when I need a favor from my dealer 4.5 hours away, you'll have my back like a leader and help me out? Ooohrah! I have a better idea. How about YOU tell them to stuff it. I'M perfectly fine. I wasn't born yesterday and the US dealer/service network is nothing new to me. I've climbed mountains and seen the other side. I'm confident I can overcome a rivet without a platoon behind me. Even if you have no experience and don't want to pay for labor, mounting this stuff is literately an open book test without a time limit.

Mohs 9

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
Seems here in Germany pricing policy is somewhat clearer, here from the German Ineos Pricelist:
"Die genannten Zubehörpreise verstehen sich als Richtpreise inklusive MwSt.und Montage. "*" gekennzeichnetes Zubehör schließt Motage aus. Die endgültigen Preise werden vom ausgewählten Retail Partner bestätigt."
Rough translation: Accessories price are suggested retail price incl. VAT and installation.... Final pricing will be confirmed by retail partner.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
Hey Coach @Zimm, will you and/or your assistants please review the checker plate installation tutorial here (on a Defender) and let me know your thoughts on any mistakes or omissions made and your thoughts about the rivnuts used versus just pop rivets? I would not ever plan on removing them, so rivnuts may be overkill?

Thanks! Also, for anyone interested, Ineos' installation guide is here, which goes with just the rivets approach versus rivnuts, and does not include a center punch step. Using the center punch should make it easier to start the drill hole, yes? Also, the Ineos instructions do not call for the use of Sikaflex or the like to seal the holes. Thoughts on that?

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not point out that the Ineos instructions say the repair time is half an hour. Keep that in mind when quoted an install price by a dealer. Of course, it would take me all day, but I'm cheap labor and most of that time would be spent fretting over hole placement.

Last edited:

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
yesterday my saleman call to see if I was going to come have my roof rack install, so I ask why is it you’re charging me so much he said it’s because of the labor rate his technician gets, and it’s a Rolls Royce, Bentley
dealership rate and the same rate for ineos also.

Dang! That might bode well for me since my dealership sells Nissan cars. However, it seems that I am getting charged $300/hr labor. :)

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
yesterday my saleman call to see if I was going to come have my roof rack install, so I ask why is it you’re charging me so much he said it’s because of the labor rate his technician gets, and it’s a Rolls Royce, Bentley
dealership rate and the same rate for ineos also.
Tell your dealer to cut the price in half, because you're not paying for training time for the tech to learn how to install a roof rack. When he pushes back, ask him to show you a Rolls or Bentley with a roof rack on it.

j3t3r

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Pick up my Grenadier 02/06/2024, now my dealer is telling me now i have to pay for them to install my accessories, roof rack $1300 plus tax, checker plate $600 plus tax,
is there anyone who is have this same problem ? I am in south florida. please let me know.
Regal in Atlanta charged for installation of accessories. Like other people have said I'm sure I could have told them I just want to install them myself (but I live 3 hours away so not sure how I can transport rock sliders, etc with out them being installed).

I didn't order a roof rack but install prices they charged me were:
$150 Install Rock Sliders
$105 Install Checker Plates
$45 Install Tailgate Table

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Regal in Atlanta charged for installation of accessories. Like other people have said I'm sure I could have told them I just want to install them myself (but I live 3 hours away so not sure how I can transport rock sliders, etc with out them being installed).

I can pay for those prices. My dealer is charging $600 for the checker plates! They charge you lawyer fees for plumbers and gardeners here in Cali!!!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Very fair prices IMO and I would gladly pay them to save myself the potential aggravation.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Regal coming in as an honest dealer yet again...

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Pick up my Grenadier 02/06/2024, now my dealer is telling me now i have to pay for them to install my accessories, roof rack $1300 plus tax, checker plate $600 plus tax,
is there anyone who is have this same problem ? I am in south florida. please let me know.

I was told here in San Diego that they will charge me $600 for the checkers installation. I'll install myself - including the rock slider, roof rack, and table.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A bit crazy that one dealer is charging six times than another for the same thing.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A bit crazy that one dealer is charging six times than another for the same thing.
Rates are dictated by local market labor and overhead costs - those can vary wildly.

I also think some dealerships have labor rates based on their other marques - if an Ineos is getting work done in a Bently shop, you are paying Bentley rates.

It'd be great if there was an actual service network, as promised... I'm beginning to think that they have just walked away from that plan without telling us.

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Rates are dictated by local market labor and overhead costs - those can vary wildly.

I also think some dealerships have labor rates based on their other marques - if an Ineos is getting work done in a Bently shop, you are paying Bentley rates.

It'd be great if there was an actual service network, as promised... I'm beginning to think that they have just walked away from that plan without telling us.
That’s a nice way of saying they’re ripping their customers off and they know it.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s a nice way of saying they’re ripping their customers off and they know it.
If a tech has the option of making the Bentley rate or the Ineos rate, they are going to choose the Bentley rate. I don't mean to imply that techs are banking the $300/hr, but they are probably getting paid more than the local Honda tech.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ripped off! that's a little harsh isn't it? Do you have you any idea how much a good mechanic makes these days? Six figures and the modern big dealerships have huge overheads. Bet you can find a local shop that can do this install for you and less expensively or, DIY

Local time
Reaction score
here's all i know. when i built my defender 110 a few years ago, i added all sorts of accessories, including roof rack, ladder, undershield, etc. the configurator and order sheet definitely had the appropriate asterisks saying "excludes installation charges." but when my truck arrived, i went to pick it up, and all the accessories were already installed at either the port or the dealership, and they never tried to collect a single dollar for installation. i've had the same experience with other cars and trucks i've purchased from many different brands. never once, have i been charged to install something that was part of an original build sheet. ineos and their dealers certainly have every right to do this, but in my opinion it's just bad form and comes off as a "low rent." no issue paying to have accessories installed (or doing it myself) if they were ordered after the fact. have done that plenty of times.

the smarter move is to just factor those costs into the overall price and let the manufacturer and dealer sort it out behind the scenes. i'd rather have my customers leaving feeling like they got more, not less, than they were expecting. each and every interaction like this is an opportunity to build long-term brand loyalty. and IMHO that's definitely worth a lot more than a small cash grab by the dealer.

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ripped off! that's a little harsh isn't it? Do you have you any idea how much a good mechanic makes these days? Six figures and the modern big dealerships have huge overheads. Bet you can find a local shop that can do this install for you and less expensively or, DIY

$300/hr to install checker plates? So we could also be looking at the same rate to rotate tires? Maybe just a little bit more complicated but not much? I say it is a rip off... :)

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
here's all i know. when i built my defender 110 a few years ago, i added all sorts of accessories, including roof rack, ladder, undershield, etc. the configurator and order sheet definitely had the appropriate asterisks saying "excludes installation charges." but when my truck arrived, i went to pick it up, and all the accessories were already installed at either the port or the dealership, and they never tried to collect a single dollar for installation. i've had the same experience with other cars and trucks i've purchased from many different brands. never once, have i been charged to install something that was part of an original build sheet. ineos and their dealers certainly have every right to do this, but in my opinion it's just bad form and comes off as a "low rent." no issue paying to have accessories installed (or doing it myself) if they were ordered after the fact. have done that plenty of times.

the smarter move is to just factor those costs into the overall price and let the manufacturer and dealer sort it out behind the scenes. i'd rather have my customers leaving feeling like they got more, not less, than they were expecting. each and every interaction like this is an opportunity to build long-term brand loyalty. and IMHO that's definitely worth a lot more than a small cash grab by the dealer.

Similar experience. We bought a RR Sport last year and we added Side Runners, Cross Bars and other options - no cost.

Local time
Reaction score
RDS is in a leftover building. I'm guessing a Rolls dealer has a high lot cost to meet Rolls franchise specifications and as a result, one pays.

I maybe the lesson here is ahhhh... don't buy your truck from a California Rolls dealer .🍱

Local time
Reaction score
Hey Coach @Zimm, will you and/or your assistants please review the checker plate installation tutorial here (on a Defender) and let me know your thoughts on any mistakes or omissions made and your thoughts about the rivnuts used versus just pop rivets? I would not ever plan on removing them, so rivnuts may be overkill?

Thanks! Also, for anyone interested, Ineos' installation guide is here, which goes with just the rivets approach versus rivnuts, and does not include a center punch step. Using the center punch should make it easier to start the drill hole, yes? Also, the Ineos instructions do not call for the use of Sikaflex or the like to seal the holes. Thoughts on that?

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not point out that the Ineos instructions say the repair time is half an hour. Keep that in mind when quoted an install price by a dealer. Of course, it would take me all day, but I'm cheap labor and most of that time would be spent fretting over hole placement.
Yea. Like I said, I wouldn't use a riv nut for this purpose. I don't see the advantage. Assuming you're gonna walk on it that little ring now takes all the load, where rivet's or screws compress the surfaces together and achieve spreading the load. Depending on ease of access underneath, I personally will be using SS button caps (#6 Range for an industrial look) and large SS fenders and nylocks. A sheen of silicone and a smoothed bead of silicone around the edge.

Or. I may not put them on at all. I may like the look without them.

Back
Top Bottom