The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Getting Rip off by my dealer

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
This is the difference between US/Canada and the RoW.... We buy from dealers who have the ability to set pricing, we don't have a contract from INEOS directly
That's sucks big time

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
I'm 99.9% confident that Ineos will be covering that dealer labor charge (just like the reflash associated with it), just as they paid labor to W&W to pull the hitches off at the ports initially
Parts and labor for recalls are the responsibility of the manufacturer. They will pay the dealer.

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
destination fee $1600. Doc fee $1000. Extra accessory labor $1-2,000 depending on market? Before you know it you are talking real money.

I'm not seeing any dealer reps participating in this thread. I was told by my dealer last year that there will be no markups - but that's completely separate from installation fees, service fees, this fee, those fees, etc. It also seems that Ineos has completely disconnected themselves since they barely respond to emails. As LordRipon stated, we can see a markup of $5K - easily!!!

Local time
Reaction score
I'm not seeing any dealer reps participating in this thread. I was told by my dealer last year that there will be no markups - but that's completely separate from installation fees, service fees, this fee, those fees, etc. It also seems that Ineos has completely disconnected themselves since they barely respond to emails. As LordRipon stated, we can see a markup of $5K - easily!!!
Kinda, sorta.
Anything IA said prior to the opening of the NA order portal went away when the portal opened.
So, whereas previously destination charges were said to be part of the price, they popped back up when orders started. The amount is appropriate.
But if you were expecting it to be a part of the order price, that went away.
In the US destination charges have been litigated into their current reporting format.
Dealer prep, doc fees, paint protection, whatever, about the best a person can do is do whatever makes them happy.
The only leverage a person has is to line up a low fee dealer and talk to them about a cancellation, or about possibly writing a new order. Might be able to save more than a grand moving the deal to a different dealer.

But then, what about the down stream? Some people will need the dealer network more than others.

The install costs on accessories is fully negotiable, and should be.
I would expect common accessories to be pre installed on vehicles sitting on the lot.
So, a cancellation might eat the accessory labor just to avoid 25 sets of carpet floor mats sitting on the shelves.

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Kinda, sorta.
Anything IA said prior to the opening of the NA order portal went away when the portal opened.
So, whereas previously destination charges were said to be part of the price, they popped back up when orders started. The amount is appropriate.
But if you were expecting it to be a part of the order price, that went away.
In the US destination charges have been litigated into their current reporting format.
Dealer prep, doc fees, paint protection, whatever, about the best a person can do is do whatever makes them happy.
The only leverage a person has is to line up a low fee dealer and talk to them about a cancellation, or about possibly writing a new order. Might be able to save more than a grand moving the deal to a different dealer.

But then, what about the down stream? Some people will need the dealer network more than others.

The install costs on accessories is fully negotiable, and should be.
I would expect common accessories to be pre installed on vehicles sitting on the lot.
So, a cancellation might eat the accessory labor just to avoid 25 sets of carpet floor mats sitting on the shelves.

Right. Since USA is the largest market, I suspect that the dealerships will have significant leverage to make some money from those added fees and costs. As you said, the costs and fees will most likely be negotiated. Thanks much!

Local time
Reaction score
Right. Since USA is the largest market, I suspect that the dealerships will have significant leverage to make some money from those added fees and costs. As you said, the costs and fees will most likely be negotiated. Thanks much!
You have about a 3 mos window to negotiate.
But truthfully, so few people seem to try, that it’s probably a fool’s errand.
normally, you have the ability to walk, and go to a different dealer, but in this case, because your order is already in, normal mechanics of negotiation are harder to apply. If you aren’t ready to walk, there really isn’t a big pool of identical vehicles sitting around for you to just pick one up there.

I see that pick up pricing is falling like a rock, so I’m guessing the new truck market is softening.

Local time
Reaction score
Just so I get this straight. I'm merely telling you and other readers I read the available documentation prior to making an order resulting in being aware I'd be negotiating some extra charges, and I'm a "fanboy"? That's your conclusion of me? I'm now a Sir Radcliff Knobgobbler?

I haven't seen my sticker, I haven't seen any sticker, I never thought to look hard when I was at the dealer. They weren't my trucks, and I didn't care. I suspect you haven't seen one either since your illegality accusation is rather nebulous and unsupported. But, I was told I could pass on any ordered dealer installed extras up to the time I take the truck, which makes me think they may not be on the window sticker. I guess I'll find out at some point.

So, this "fanboys" conclusion is you like to raise a stink for support and moral justification for not wanting pay for something. You like freebee's and making a scene is your MO. Or maybe you just like to bitch at the wind. Some people are like that.
I believe this is just Norb being Norb; we've seen it before.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
That's disappointing 😞

It's a shame they didn't go down the same path as the ROW - what you specify on the configurator is what you pay for - total.
AU configurator includes all fees, taxes, registration, no hidden or unexpected costs.

Local time
Reaction score
This is what I received this morning from ineos about installing accessories, and in the US the dealer can charge you whatever they want and ineos has no control on what they charge.

This is a follow-up on your recent request regarding the possibility of avoiding the installation fee for your missing accessories.
After consulting with our head office, it has been confirmed that adding accessories to the vehicle is not covered in the vehicle sale price.
Therefore, the dealership will determine the price of the installation fee for these accessories.
Even if the accessories had been available before the handover, this policy would still apply.
Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid paying the installation fee.
We understand that this may come as disappointing news, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out.
Best regards,
Daniele

INEOS Grenadier Customer Service

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is what I received this morning from ineos about installing accessories, and in the US the dealer can charge you whatever they want and ineos has no control on what they charge.

This is a follow-up on your recent request regarding the possibility of avoiding the installation fee for your missing accessories.
After consulting with our head office, it has been confirmed that adding accessories to the vehicle is not covered in the vehicle sale price.
Therefore, the dealership will determine the price of the installation fee for these accessories.
Even if the accessories had been available before the handover, this policy would still apply.
Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid paying the installation fee.
We understand that this may come as disappointing news, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out.
Best regards,
Daniele

INEOS Grenadier Customer Service

Also, I was at the dealership today. I was told that any accessory that has an asterisk(*) during the build, they will charge for installation. Just to give you an example, the total price for the checker plates parts and labor is about $950. That is a lot of money - considering the checker plates cost only $330. So they are charging about $300 installation per plate. Wow!

I think we need to start sharing installation process amongst us - checker plates, roof rack, picnic table, rock slider, etc. I feel that I need additional 5k for the installs!!!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think we need to start sharing installation process amongst us - checker plates, roof rack, picnic table, rock slider, etc. I feel that I need additional 5k for the installs!!!
All the install documents are on Ineos' website if you'd want to install the accessories yourself

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
Most car salesmen/dealers are on the same level of the food chain as Roaches (sorry Roaches). They wonder why people don't trust them - as customers often feel like they are being ripped off needlessly. The sad part is that the small items they try on the front end which leave a bad taste in your mouth - they will make ten fold in what they charge the manufacturers for warranty work on the back end. Sadly though the US dealer association has far too much power - I would rather buy MFR direct.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
This whole discussion is complete BS. It's another fine example of "no good deed goes unpunished" and why "we cant have nice things".

People are getting nice options they can roll into financing that you don't get with most other manufacturers but for logistical reasons they are dealer installs, and it was clear they were dealer installs. It's on the website, this discussion was had on social media 8 months ago, you can turn them down and go with aftermarket that didn't exist last June, you can put them on yourself, and the quality/price is more than on par with the aftermarket. Like the pre order process as a whole, there was no dealer network yet but they needed to gauge interest for the OEM suppliers so it was on the order form.

I feel like I'm in a forum full of millenials blaming everyone for their lot but themselves and always wanting something for free.

Local time
Reaction score
That's disappointing 😞

It's a shame they didn't go down the same path as the ROW - what you specify on the configurator is what you pay for - total.
AU configurator includes all fees, taxes, registration, no hidden or unexpected costs.
Dealerships in the US don't work like car sales ROW. The Defender "trophy" edition trucks came with all sorts of options in the base price that were dealer installed, but, if you look at the 93k price vs the options, they clearly built in a ton profit for the dealer to do it. One still paid.

Local time
Reaction score
None of this stuff requires anything more than turning a wrench or using a stencil. We all had art in second grade, right? Put the stencil on the fender, drill the hole, squeeze the pop rivet gun. This isn't one of those dubai videos where thy change tires while doing 50mph on two wheels. You just have to lay on your back and stick a bolt in a hole. If that's too hard, heaven forbid you get stuck in a mudhole with a broken bead.

Back
Top Bottom