The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Getting Rip off by my dealer

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Whether it is at the time of delivery or after the fact, it is up to the dealer to determine what they will charge for the installation of any accessory with the * in the original configurator
Not in Australia
All accessories ordered as part of the original order are fitted at no extra charge either by Ineos, at the port before delivery or at the dealers.
We buy the vehicle directly off Ineos Automotive though, not off a dealer.
However if I was to go back later and buy an accessory then I would be buying it from the dealer and expect to pay for installation if required, or have that built into the price.

Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
Not in Australia
All accessories ordered as part of the original order are fitted at no extra charge either by Ineos, at the port before delivery or at the dealers.
We buy the vehicle directly off Ineos Automotive though, not off a dealer.
However if I was to go back later and buy an accessory then I would be buying it from the dealer and expect to pay for installation if required, or have that built into the price.
Dealers in the US are independent companies.

I hope Ineos realizes there may be an issue with some high end dealers pumping hours, deals with it amicably, and ignores the other "sour grapes" from people that don't read the bold print, and continues to offer new factory farckels for us buyers that like neat shit. But here's the thing. If these parts have a stated "book time" for replacement etc, and the deal with a franchisee is their going hourly rate... and it's a Rolls/Ferrari dealer, there isn't a whole lot Ineos can do. Book time is book time.

I charge the same for electrician whether they are installing a new 1 meg UPS system, or changing a light bulb. He gets paid "X", and I expect to make "X" on his time. Period.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dealers in the US are independent companies.

I hope Ineos realizes there may be an issue with some high end dealers pumping hours, deals with it amicably, and ignores the other "sour grapes" from people that don't read the bold print, and continues to offer new factory farckels for us buyers that like neat shit. But here's the thing. If these parts have a stated "book time" for replacement etc, and the deal with a franchisee is their going hourly rate... and it's a Rolls/Ferrari dealer, there isn't a whole lot Ineos can do. Book time is book time.

I charge the same for electrician whether they are installing a new 1 meg UPS system, or changing a light bulb. He gets paid "X", and I expect to make "X" on his time. Period.
yes, that is the business model that Ineos is forced to work with in the US, so people just have to go with it and realise, as you said, Ineos has no say in it.
Here in Australia Ineos has worked out with the dealer network how much they get for handling the delivery and they also I believe get money from Ineos for fitting the accessories but the buyer (me ) never gets involved in that
1708313051599.png

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
yes, that is the business model that Ineos is forced to work with in the US, so people just have to go with it and realise, as you said, Ineos has no say in it.
Here in Australia Ineos has worked out with the dealer network how much they get for handling the delivery and they also I believe get money from Ineos for fitting the accessories but the buyer (me ) never gets involved in that
View attachment 7844545
This is a transparent way to do business, I think it may have something to do with our consumer rights laws ( I could be wrong) but with all our cooling off periods etc we seem more protected form the "hidden cost" brigade

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
The thing is, most other manufacturers in the US don't work this way, if you order something, it's assumed that it's the installed price. That's what the original poster is complaining about, him an a bunch of others, its people who either work for Ineos/dealer that are defending this practice of charging twice for an ordered option, or they are just big fanboys.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
When I configured my pre-order back in June 2023, this is what I was given:

1708321998259.png

So if a buyer assumed the price was installed then maybe they received different paperwork or else maybe they didn't read the details of their order.

I don't *like* not knowing the actual installation cost at time of order, but I have to admit the dealer is doing exactly what INEOS told us they would do by charging for installation of accessories.

Peripheral rant: I do not think a dealer is being reasonable if they ask a customer to sign a Right Of First Refusal agreement since that was never a term of the order or even mentioned by INEOS in the years leading up to delivery. See also: [this thread].

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The thing is, most other manufacturers in the US don't work this way, if you order something, it's assumed that it's the installed price. That's what the original poster is complaining about, him an a bunch of others, its people who either work for Ineos/dealer that are defending this practice of charging twice for an ordered option, or they are just big fanboys.
Imagine how much easier it would be if you guys just did the same way the rest of the world are doing it.
Go online , configure it, see the prices, convert to an order, that's the price you pay.
Nothing extra, no hidden costs, no dealer extras'.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
here's all i know. when i built my defender 110 a few years ago, i added all sorts of accessories, including roof rack, ladder, undershield, etc. the configurator and order sheet definitely had the appropriate asterisks saying "excludes installation charges." but when my truck arrived, i went to pick it up, and all the accessories were already installed at either the port or the dealership, and they never tried to collect a single dollar for installation. i've had the same experience with other cars and trucks i've purchased from many different brands. never once, have i been charged to install something that was part of an original build sheet. ineos and their dealers certainly have every right to do this, but in my opinion it's just bad form and comes off as a "low rent." no issue paying to have accessories installed (or doing it myself) if they were ordered after the fact. have done that plenty of times.

the smarter move is to just factor those costs into the overall price and let the manufacturer and dealer sort it out behind the scenes. i'd rather have my customers leaving feeling like they got more, not less, than they were expecting. each and every interaction like this is an opportunity to build long-term brand loyalty. and IMHO that's definitely worth a lot more than a small cash grab by the dealer.
the comparison is not wrong but I ask one question about it. What did your dealer earned when selling the Defender to you and what does an agent of Ineos earn when selling a Grenadier in the USA?
Here in Germany I have been told that the agents margin is between 4.5 an 6.5 %.
That’s really not a lot for a new brand with all the invests you need before earning a cent.

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
the comparison is not wrong but I ask one question about it. What did your dealer earned when selling the Defender to you and what does an agent of Ineos earn when selling a Grenadier in the USA?
Here in Germany I have been told that the agents margin is between 4.5 an 6.5 %.
That’s really not a lot for a new brand with all the invests you need before earning a cent.

Not sure if the 4.5 to 6.5 percentage margin rule is what we need to look at. The fact that it takes less than an hour to install the checkers and costs $600 is ridiculous! So does this mean that they have to make between 4.5 to 6.5% profit based on the checkers installation? I think the bigger factor in charging the installation cost is the hourly rate based on the geographical location. I'm not sure a guy that can install checkers should make more money than a seasoned attorney or surgeon. If that is the case, the doctors and lawyers spent lots of money when they can just be checkers installers :)

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dealer in CA sent a price list for accessory installation. If you scroll down to line 85 that gives you the hours/cost to install. Hope this helps -

Hello YellowLab, which CA dealership is this?

I might take a drive to their location for a day instead and reward them for having more reasonable prices. Thanks for sharing!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
so I guess when my first service comes up and I take it to my dealer I should look forward to pay somewhere around $1495.
Is that what they've quoted you already?

Local time
Reaction score
That's because it would have already been built into the price.
Same as it is for the Ineos Accessories around the rest of the world.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA I just went to the LR website, where they install the steps for "free".... lol....

The price on his steps for that LR, in the US is 2000 dollars on the website. The price for the Ineos sliders is 1050 with the california rolls dealer charging 250....

Basically people are crying about not being charged enough.

Local time
Reaction score
Hm. Web surfing while eating a sandwich at my desk, I noticed the Ineos ladder is 475 installed. The defender ladder is 1200 plus dealer labor.
Was it a $6.99 sandwich from Subway, a $16.99 sandwich from the local gourmet shop, or perhaps a sandwich made from parts sourced at a local dealer then assembled at home? ;)

Back
Top Bottom