The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Getting Rip off by my dealer

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
Since the dealers are charging $600 for checkers installation, I would assume that oil change would be about the same? Heck, I'll take my car to my autoshop here in San Diego for much less price. They actually do most of the work for the European dealerships here...

Local time
9:47 PM
Reaction score
Was it a $6.99 sandwich from Subway, a $16.99 sandwich from the local gourmet shop, or perhaps a sandwich made from parts sourced at a local dealer then assembled at home? ;)
Funny you should ask....

I can walk to the italian deli from my house, and instead of buying an assembled sandwich, I merely took delivery of the bread, meat and cheese, and skillfully using my breadknife, I made my own. saving a couple bucks and I can make one tomorrow without the jaunt.

Actual true gen X story.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:47 AM
Reaction score
Not sure if the 4.5 to 6.5 percentage margin rule is what we need to look at. The fact that it takes less than an hour to install the checkers and costs $600 is ridiculous! So does this mean that they have to make between 4.5 to 6.5% profit based on the checkers installation? I think the bigger factor in charging the installation cost is the hourly rate based on the geographical location. I'm not sure a guy that can install checkers should make more money than a seasoned attorney or surgeon. If that is the case, the doctors and lawyers spent lots of money when they can just be checkers installers :)
The dealer might not earn the money they are used to with other brands. So some of them seem to gather as much money from the costumers as possible.
Those rates are not discussable in my opinion. I just asked why the dealers become that greedy.

Local time
Reaction score
The dealer might not earn the money they are used to with other brands. So some of them seem to gather as much money from the costumers as possible.
Those rates are not discussable in my opinion. I just asked why the dealers become that greedy.
Options in the US are like restaurant food. The dealer profit is 60% of the cost. Then they want a tip. (just joking about the tip)

Local time
Reaction score
FYI.

RDS in Filthy... errr... Philly ;) quoted 225/hr labor rate. 675 for the roof rack (3hrs), 450 for the five bar (2hrs), and 225 for the sliders. 1.5% the cost of the truck I ordered. I'm not questioning the time if one includes staging, waste disposal and being meticulous, so, time theft isn't an issue. They have to bill rate, but that's almost my engineer rate for essentially building IKEA furniture and not skilled work requiring a trained experienced mechanic. Consider, Laborer union rate is 17.90 plus bennies in PA.

As planned I'll be doing it myself.

Notice that the 5 bar price/time would coincide with the price/time the California dealer quoted if the rate were adjusted to 300, which may indicate they have factory book for the time permitted and the elevated cost has to do with the type of luxury dealer and cost of living in the area. RDS sells Lambos and McLarens.

Last edited:

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
FYI.

RDS in Filthy... errr... Philly ;) quoted 225/hr labor rate. 675 for the roof rack (3hrs), 450 for the five bar (2hrs), and 225 for the sliders. 1.5% the cost of the truck I ordered. I'm not questioning the time if one includes staging, waste disposal and being meticulous, so, time theft isn't an issue. They have to bill rate, but that's almost my engineer rate for essentially building IKEA furniture and not skilled work requiring a trained experienced mechanic. Consider, Laborer union rate is 17.90 plus bennies in PA.

Notice that the 5 bar price/time would coincide with the price/time the California dealer quoted if the rate were adjusted to 300, which may indicate they have factory book for the time permitted and the elevated cost has to do with the type of luxury dealer and cost of living in the area. RDS sells Lambos and McLarens.

Rip Off! :) I like the labor rates in Florida! It's like 3x cheaper! Still not cheap, but... :)

Local time
Reaction score
Just finished installing side step from URBAN. Install time 10 minutes

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score
Just finished installing side step from URBAN. Install time 10 minutes
I think that is a record! Most of us on the forum like our Urban side runners, but seems we have all struggled a bit with installation. While only about 1/16-1/8 inch off, what should have been a simple installation turned into a wrestling match. Sounds like they fixed the tolerance issue on the latest production.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
FYI.

The hourly rate has very little to do with what the guy doing the work is getting paid.
Not 100% sure in US but here in Australia No adult would work for that low a wage unless doing a child's job or they are being exploited.

The hourly rate includes a share of the cost of tools, electricity, building costs, coffee, water, administration, payroll tax, insurance, superannuation, toilet paper, furniture, hoists etc etc.

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The hourly rate has very little to do with what the guy doing the work is getting paid.
Not 100% sure in US but here in Australia No adult would work for that low a wage unless doing a child's job or they are being exploited.

The hourly rate includes a share of the cost of tools, electricity, building costs, coffee, water, administration, payroll tax, insurance, superannuation, toilet paper, furniture, hoists etc etc.

I don't know about the rest of us but I don't have a lot of money to spare. But $600 US Dollars for an hour job is very steep - and this is any country including Australia to include your share of all the utilities, overhead, etc. Just my take...

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hear toilet paper at a Bentley / Ineos dealer is super expensive and the toilet seats are lined with baby seal fur 🤡🫣😂

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of us but I don't have a lot of money to spare. But $600 US Dollars for an hour job is very steep - and this is any country including Australia to include your share of all the utilities, overhead, etc. Just my take...
Normally here it would be around AUD $250/hour even at mercedes.
That is about USD $165

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Normally here it would be around AUD $250/hour even at mercedes.
That is about USD $165

Yeah... I'm okay with 165-200 / hr. But I'll probably install myself since they look pretty easy to. I've installed cross bars, roof racks, and running boards before with no problem. I just thought that I can give them a little bit of business but the charges are a bit high...

Back
Top Bottom