The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Harry’s Farm and Garage. Why does Harry Metcalfe hate the Grenadier?

Local time
8:46 PM
Reaction score
Definitely a different scale - most US farmers and ranchers would say “that ain’t a trailer and that ain’t a truck.” Even the combine is a baby combine. But I don’t see trying to navigate a Chevy 3500HD dually around in the UK. My wife was even scared to drive a BMW 5-series in Ireland.
My dually is a pain in the dick here, and frankly a waste. Sub in a smaller japanese 1t hilux for f150, and if youre if worried about size, that's your solution.... There are options in europe. Although, tooling around Wales, I can say that while the back roads are tiny to us, it certainly doesn't seem to deter the amount of full size straight delivery trucks running around (or cows and sheep). One just backs up to the wide section like all the other traffic. Making way is normal. Its Like NYC, but polite. I don't think a SRW f350 standard cab farm truck would be an issue. The footprint isn't much different than the Collins's extended E series wagon I use, and the height would help to see over some of the hedges.

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Harry's Farm ran a D90 because Land Rover gave him one to test and review for free.
l agree a D90 isn't the best farm vehicle, as it's too small, although it will tow anything and is obviously good off road.
l am sure if he was actually buying one himself, he would have gone for at least the 110 for the extra room.

Last edited:

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
That’s about as close to an official retraction as you could get. Still agree w @Zimm - no way this goes as a farm/ranch truck in the US.
Have you seen the width of the lanes and country roads in the UK.
You would never get a full size American Pickup to work there.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Word has it the Mini's have become so "wide" that 2 of them can no long pass side by side down a country rode in the UK anymore.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Word has it the Mini's have become so "wide" that 2 of them can no long pass side by side down a country rode in the UK anymore.
I just walked outside and took this picture of my wife's 2018 Mini Cooper Clubman parked next to my Grenadier.
Not much difference in width or length.

1726176807869.png

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just walked outside and took this picture of my wife's 2018 Mini Cooper Clubman parked next to my Grenadier.
Not much difference in width or length.

View attachment 7870011
These 2 passing beside each other ... Images of the unfortunate Titanic come to mind. Somethings going to get lost. Unless of course there is reasonable ability for the "G" to climb the adjacent hedge!! 😂

From Quora ...
They were mainly used in horse and carrige days, so they were made for that reason alone, after all any horse does not need much room, the fact you find them mostly around Farms, is another factor, remember when these lanes were made they were for pulling ploughs, or other farming equipment, all of them were pulled by horses, tractors were to expensive to buy in the old days, once again when they were made they were narrow, so they could use the same width, as the horses and their equipment, when tractors were made, they still were made to pull the same things as the horses, when they originally came out, I know how large tractors are today, also they make much larger equipment than these lanes were ever designed to be used for.

Okay enough "drift" ☺️
Cheers!

Local time
Reaction score
An f150 standard cab with the 8' bed, the truck you would use, is 4" wider and had a tighter turning circle. I driven Wales quite a bit. Compared to the Range rovers and delivery trucks that use the same lanes every day, it wouldn't be any more of an issue. Plus... you can actually carry a load!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
An f150 standard cab with the 8' bed, the truck you would use, is 4" wider and had a tighter turning circle. I driven Wales quite a bit. Compared to the Range rovers and delivery trucks that use the same lanes every day, it wouldn't be any more of an issue. Plus... you can actually carry a load!
These are typical country roads near my place.
One vehicle wide in most places but we don't put hedges along the sides.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX_zsj4u62A&list=PL9P0owh5Er8IlUqXruK8wUcN7cAMwL8ug&index=3

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XymxunxltoY&list=PL9P0owh5Er8IlUqXruK8wUcN7cAMwL8ug&index=2&t=29s

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep - I have. I wasn’t saying it (the QM) wasn’t a viable option in the UK - I was saying it would not be accepted as a serious option for farming and ranching in the US. It just doesn’t have the bed space, towing capacity or readily available parts and service. It will be more of a (very expensive) open bed off-road utility vehicle in the US - not a work truck. And the chicken tax certainly doesn’t help.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
“The Katy Freeway in Houston, Texas is a section of Interstate 10 that has up to 26 lanes, including six lanes of access road. The access road is not technically part of the freeway, but is adjacent to it. The basic configuration of the Katy Freeway between the West Beltway and the West Loop is 14 lanes, with seven lanes in each direction.”

Texas!!! That’s how it’s done, world.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep - I have. I wasn’t saying it (the QM) wasn’t a viable option in the UK - I was saying it would not be accepted as a serious option for farming and ranching in the US. It just doesn’t have the bed space, towing capacity or readily available parts and service. It will be more of a (very expensive) open bed off-road utility vehicle in the US - not a work truck. And the chicken tax certainly doesn’t help.
One thing I have never understood about the load bed on US pickups is what the hell gets carried in them that is so big.
The rest of the world manages with Quartermaster size or smaller.

I completely understand if you just want a big vehicle, no problems with that.

We have farms and "ranches" in Australia that are significantly larger than the US but still manage.
We do strap a lot of stuff to roof racks, however that is also for safety reasons.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One thing I have never understood about the load bed on US pickups is what the hell gets carried in them that is so big.
The rest of the world manages with Quartermaster size or smaller.

I completely understand if you just want a big vehicle, no problems with that.

We have farms and "ranches" in Australia that are significantly larger than the US but still manage.
We do strap a lot of stuff to roof racks, however that is also for safety reasons.
We carry the weight of American greatness, Dave. Duh. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH FAILED RELATIONSHIPS AND MALE INSECURITY. Let’s just be perfectly clear about that.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We carry the weight of American greatness, Dave. Duh. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH FAILED RELATIONSHIPS AND MALE INSECURITY. Let’s just be perfectly clear about that.
I had a wonderful woman comment to a couple of women with her as she was walking past in a car park, loud enough for me to hear.
She said she didn't understand why anyone needed such a large, caveman type vehicle.
I replied that I was over compensating for an average size appendage.
Her friends laughed.

Michael_in_Baja

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
I had a wonderful woman comment to a couple of women with her as she was walking past in a car park, loud enough for me to hear.
She said she didn't understand why anyone needed such a large, caveman type vehicle.
I replied that I was over compensating for an average size appendage.
Her friends laughed.
I simply tell people that I want my vehicle to match my appendage.

Back
Top Bottom