The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
Just buy one mate. Get the safari windows, you won't regret it.
From my userbname you'll have worked out I'm not English. Well , I do have dual citizenship - and was born there - but after 54 years in this prison...
Tassie how you going? Have you managed to get it to point North yet? Just came back from a quick drive up from Cooktown to Lakefield.. was going to fish a certain lagoon at the time but the crocodile presence was too great so I backed out. They have been misbehaving since Cyclone Jasper flooded the north. Popping up everywhere.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
Tassie how you going? Have you managed to get it to point North yet? Just came back from a quick drive up from Cooktown to Lakefield.. was going to fish a certain lagoon at the time but the crocodile presence was too great so I backed out. They have been misbehaving since Cyclone Jasper flooded the north. Popping up everywhere.
Going well, but confined to Tassy barracks as we enjoy the delights of winter.
I've read the NT are looking into croc culling again. The numbers are making life nervous for everyone, even the fish.
How's the Ineos coping? You FNQ guys have had a lot of rain since Christmas, meanwhile SE Tas has been in a drought. Mind you, today the rain god is working a bit.
Cheers!1000024113.jpg

BigJock2024

Production/Transit
Forum Donor
Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
HI BigJock2024, I am picking up my New Grenadier today at Rusnak Ineos Pasadena. I plan on keeping my New Defender for approximately 1 month as I need time to get a few items done to the Grenadier and time to get the New Defender detailed for sale. Being able to have both vehicles in my driveway for a month, will allow me to jump from one to the other, which will give me an even better perspective of the differences, which I hope to post eventually.
I already know the New Defender is an incredible vehicle. I also know the New Grenadier is an incredible vehicle too. DaBull

HI BigJock2024, I am picking up my New Grenadier today at Rusnak Ineos Pasadena. I plan on keeping my New Defender for approximately 1 month as I need time to get a few items done to the Grenadier and time to get the New Defender detailed for sale. Being able to have both vehicles in my driveway for a month, will allow me to jump from one to the other, which will give me an even better perspective of the differences, which I hope to post eventually.
I already know the New Defender is an incredible vehicle. I also know the New Grenadier is an incredible vehicle too. DaBull
Hey DaBull - have you sold the Defender or decided to stick with the two vehicles? I looked but didn't see a post comparing the two. Be interested to hear your views. I'm going to be in a similar boat - I am due to collect my Grenny on Thursday this week, but will still have the L405 Range Rover until I sell her (demand in the UK for second hand Range Rovers has just tanked since all the insurance and theft problems). Two different vehicles of course, so no real comparison to be made.

BigJock2024

Production/Transit
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Going well, but confined to Tassy barracks as we enjoy the delights of winter.
I've read the NT are looking into croc culling again. The numbers are making life nervous for everyone, even the fish.
How's the Ineos coping? You FNQ guys have had a lot of rain since Christmas, meanwhile SE Tas has been in a drought. Mind you, today the rain god is working a bit.
Cheers!
"The delights of winter"...
I was over in Sydney for a business trip earlier this month and had a couple of days to spare, so I ferry-hopped around the Sydney Bay Area. Absolutely wonderful. I was sitting on the top deck of the ferry in my shorts and t-shirt looking at all the people around me in puffer jackets with their hoods up!!
A mid-winter's day in Sydney is like a decent mid-summer day in Scotland!!!

DoubleDoom

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I missed your thread when you initially posted, but I just wanted to say you are not alone.

My Defender 90 is coming up to 10 years old. I have never held onto a car that long. I love it. Its bumpy and noisy but as a farm working vehicle and tower it does exactly what I need it to do and it puts a smile on my face. Its also reliable. We were also the typical Landrover family. Defender for the heavy work. Discovery for the daily use and Range Rover for the days out. We never went with the Disco 5 as it ugly and it shifted its position in the marketplace and it seemed daft to have a disco and a RR. I found that I was driving the defender more as the others were great for motorway use but I don't do that sort of driving.

I find the current (and recent) models from LR/RR to be bland. Bland is probably the wrong word. But when it snows or its raining hard, I prefer to be in the Defender. The ambience is better. You can hear the elements without feeling them. You can hear the windscreen wipers, and you are out of the environment and conditions without actually suffering from them. The current and recent LR/RR range isolates you from the elements. You don't hear them. You don't hear the car working around them. They are quiet, smooth and serene. If I was driving up and down a motorway or dual carriageway frequently, I would want that. But I am not.

I have looked at various pickups or other 4x4s and nothing was doing it for me. I decided to keep the Defender even though I knew that it was going to start getting expensive (the Puma versions are so cramped in the engine bay that replacing things often involves having to dismantle so much more to get access to it).

Then I saw the Grenadier. I knew of it being a defender owner, but I had never thought of it as a serious option. We drove to one dealer and sat in it in their joke of a showroom (a single garage on the edge of their main dealerships). I like the car and the idea of it but the dealership didn't give my any confidence. Then I happened to be going in the opposite direction a month later and went into a different dealership, and it was like chalk and cheese in terms of quality of service. They gave me a grenadier for the weekend so I could test it on the farm and tow with it etc. It was good timing, too, as we are on clay, and it was still like slop out there. I loved it. On the clay and driving through the ploughed fields, the grenadier wasn't on the K02s, but it handled the slop and ruts just as well as the defender on its mud wranglers. It towed better. So, it was up to the jobs I needed it for.

I like the fact you could still hear the elements and that the road driving hadn't been sanitised to the point of boredom. The driving position and cockpit area are just what I wanted. It honestly felt, and I know this is clichéd, that it was a modern old-style defender. Most of the negatives of the Defender had gone, but the best parts were retained.

I pulled the trigger and ordered one, and I am awaiting my build date.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
A mid-winter's day in Sydney is like a decent mid-summer day in Scotland!!!
That matches my experience - we spent 3 weeks in Australia in 1996, Sydney, Melbourne, the red centre and Sydney again. We were hot, the people around us complaining of the bad winter weather.

Friends who visited us from Sydney about 10 years later complained of cold during one of the warmest Bank Holiday Mondays in Melton Mowbray on record!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
There is no bad weather. It is just weather. Dress appropriately if you are delicate , or at risk of expiry, hot or cold 😉

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Didn’t the Big Yin coin that?
There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes

And I’m sure he poached that from someone before him.
Probably the British Army; like me, Billy Connelly was in the Territorial Army and he wrote the song Weekend Soldier,
View: https://youtu.be/gmioXLfTl6w

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And to finish Billy’s wuote off….
So get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little.

I must admit to generally loving hiking in the rain, but only when I’ve got my trusty Mont jacket on.
But then I don’t often hike is freezing weather, that might dampen one’s spirit somewhat. 🥶🥶🥶

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
Hey DaBull - have you sold the Defender or decided to stick with the two vehicles? I looked but didn't see a post comparing the two. Be interested to hear your views. I'm going to be in a similar boat - I am due to collect my Grenny on Thursday this week, but will still have the L405 Range Rover until I sell her (demand in the UK for second hand Range Rovers has just tanked since all the insurance and theft problems). Two different vehicles of course, so no real comparison to be made.
Hi BigJock2024,
I still have my 2020 Defender and getting ready to sell it. I have been driving the Grenadier 98% of the time. I always gravitate to wanting to drive the Grenadier vs the Defender. The most remarkable take away from jumping into the Defender is how low you sit compared to a Grenadier. I feel like I am getting into and driving a sedan and my wife has made the same comment too. Also the rack and pinion steering is so effortless in the Defender, I almost don't feel safe as the wheel turns so easily.

I guess you can say I have 100% adapted to the Grenadier and enjoy how planted it is and actually enjoy the steering. I feel like I am in command of the vehicle and present in the driving of it. Just finished a road trip up the coast and it was great on the road. Been off road a couple times and it has exceeded all my expectations.

The 2 vehicles are so different and both deserve their place. The 2020 Defender for its smooth on road high performance and seamless tech integration.
The Grenadier for it's on road and off road presence and knowing it can take me anywhere I want to go.
DaBull

Local time
Reaction score
Go for it !!

I was one of the early order vehicles but cancelled when it was time to finalise spec, it was the lack of positive delivery date that made me change my mind.
Followed everything on you tube, poor fuel consumption, bad steering, uncomfortable driving position / foot rest , doors not closing properly, Clearly made the right decision.
So ordered a new VW Amarok Panamericana V6 , just needed a couple of mods and it would be ready to go. After collecting from the dealer took it straight around to have my pre ordered BFGs fitted, only to find out they would not fit, wheel spacers and arch extensions required, not impressed.
Still I convinced myself it was the best vehicle out there for me after fitting my smart cap top. Was really happy until a mate of mine took me for a run out in his new Raptor.
We had a run out ended up getting fuel in Dorchester 100yds from an Ineos dealer.
First time I had really taken time to look at the Grenadier that was it, I instantly new I had bought the wrong vehicle.
Amarok only three months old straight on Auto trader, fortunately it sold straight away.
Rang around Ineos dealers to see if I could find a suitable vehicle, ended up speaking to a dealer in Gloucester who was excellent.
Found me a new pre built unit with a far greater spec than I probably would have gone for.
That was it purchased, Oh by the way I still had not driven a Grenadier.
First drive was collecting from the dealer in Gloucester drove back to Poole with a massive grin!
I absolutely love the vehicle it has far exceeded all my expectations. it also is the first vehicle I have ever purchased that meets all my requirements and comes with the right tyres.
Strange thing its also the first vehicle of my choice that my wife loves to drive.

BigJock2024

Production/Transit
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Hi BigJock2024,
I still have my 2020 Defender and getting ready to sell it. I have been driving the Grenadier 98% of the time. I always gravitate to wanting to drive the Grenadier vs the Defender. The most remarkable take away from jumping into the Defender is how low you sit compared to a Grenadier. I feel like I am getting into and driving a sedan and my wife has made the same comment too. Also the rack and pinion steering is so effortless in the Defender, I almost don't feel safe as the wheel turns so easily.

I guess you can say I have 100% adapted to the Grenadier and enjoy how planted it is and actually enjoy the steering. I feel like I am in command of the vehicle and present in the driving of it. Just finished a road trip up the coast and it was great on the road. Been off road a couple times and it has exceeded all my expectations.

The 2 vehicles are so different and both deserve their place. The 2020 Defender for its smooth on road high performance and seamless tech integration.
The Grenadier for it's on road and off road presence and knowing it can take me anywhere I want to go.
DaBull
Thanks a lot for the update DaBull, that's great to hear. In fact it's great to hear people's feedback on this forum, apart from the (relatively) few lemons that seem to have landed - it's clear owners are really taken with these vehicles.

It's really funny, but afer committing to the Grenadier I started noticing loads of new 110s on the road, and started wondering if I should have looked at it more closely. But the fact is it's probably closer to my L405 by a mile, and while I love that car, it is just pure luxury and I miss the old Defender too much - everything I enjoyed about that is as you say: the road presence, the fact you actually had to drive it, master it almost. That's what I remember about the test drive in the Grenny, just enjoying the dopamine from having to properly drive it.

I collect on Thursday afternoon, the ceramic coat should be finished tomorrow. I am more excited than a 9yo before Christmas. I will be boring everyone to death with it immediately.

Cheers
Jock

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the update DaBull, that's great to hear. In fact it's great to hear people's feedback on this forum, apart from the (relatively) few lemons that seem to have landed - it's clear owners are really taken with these vehicles.

It's really funny, but afer committing to the Grenadier I started noticing loads of new 110s on the road, and started wondering if I should have looked at it more closely. But the fact is it's probably closer to my L405 by a mile, and while I love that car, it is just pure luxury and I miss the old Defender too much - everything I enjoyed about that is as you say: the road presence, the fact you actually had to drive it, master it almost. That's what I remember about the test drive in the Grenny, just enjoying the dopamine from having to properly drive it.

I collect on Thursday afternoon, the ceramic coat should be finished tomorrow. I am more excited than a 9yo before Christmas. I will be boring everyone to death with it immediately.

Cheers
Jock
Your excitement says it all. 14 months later I still feel the same. My old Td5 Defender provided much the same pleasure but has now been superseded by the Grenadier. I need to get round to selling my Defender.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Your excitement says it all. 14 months later I still feel the same. My old Td5 Defender provided much the same pleasure but has now been superseded by the Grenadier. I need to get round to selling my Defender.
I know what it is like...my old Series is still in the shed and not getting the attention it should...hard to justify and even harder to think of selling it...Cheers ;)

Back
Top Bottom