The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
In the garage building my dog ramp tonight... if she will get in the back of this machine then it is 100% job done on all fronts.

Just to let you all know I finished the dog ramp.
Because my Isla Bear weighs 50kg I ended up with a timber folding construction that looks like it came from the deck timbers of the Marie Rose.
Ridiculously heavy, an absolute pain to pick up and carry, and a hazard to the leather and rubber in the back as I try to wield it in and out the back seat.
She did get up it after about 10 minutes cajoling with treats, but she hates it and instead of coming back down it she buggered about and then jumped out of the back, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
In other words, it's total bollocks.
Back to the drawing board and internet trying to find a wide aluminium 4-step unit that is approximately 30" to the top step. I have an old aluminium bike ramp in the garage (way too narrow for her, she needs at least 18" width because of her Hadrian's Wall sized chest, but I might be able to cut it into steps and work out some way of fixing them and I'm thinking of a mounting which sits on the towball.

Bl**dy dog.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
Because my Isla Bear weighs 50kg I ended up with a timber folding construction that looks like it came from the deck timbers of the Marie Rose.
Ridiculously heavy, an absolute pain to pick up and carry, and a hazard to the leather and rubber in the back as I try to wield it in and out the back seat.
She did get up it after about 10 minutes cajoling with treats, but she hates it and instead of coming back down it she buggered about and then jumped out of the back, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Back to the drawing board and internet trying to find a wide aluminium 4-step unit that is approximately 30" to the top step. I have an old aluminium bike ramp in the garage (way too narrow for her, she needs at least 18" width because of her Hadrian's Wall sized chest, but I might be able to cut it into steps and work out some way of fixing them and I'm thinking of a mounting which sits on the towball.

Bl**dy dog.
Could you get another bike ramp and then place a sheet of something solid (ie plywood) on them to make a ramp?

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Could you get another bike ramp and then place a sheet of something solid (ie plywood) on them to make a ramp?
Yes... I thought about that, or rather am still thinking about it. This is the unit I have, and it's properly sturdy as well as having rubber boots to prevent scratching:

It would be another 90 quid to double-up.

I suspect the combined weight might make it impractical, but the spec says 6.9kg in weight which would bring the double in around 14-15kg including some bolts and stuff. I'll need to gauge the weight of the one I have and decide.

But they would be quite easy to bolt together with a spacer, then it would just be some light carpet matting cable-tied onto the flats - for some reason dogs love carpet. They also like steps more than ramps!

P.S. On thinking, I could also just attach some light gauge plywood across that ramp. So long as it was secured broadly enough on the back of the Grenny the main load would be in the middle but she would have the width - the problem is the lack of width, she's not confident stepping onto narrow spaces because of her size.

Last edited:

simonpa

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score

Bl**dy dog.
Have you considered a Solvit XL telescopic dog ramp. I have one for my 60kg Leonberger which clips onto brackets inside the rear luggage
area when not in use. If you search my previous postings you'll see some piccies. Happy times ahead !

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Have you considered a Solvit XL telescopic dog ramp. I have one for my 60kg Leonberger which clips onto brackets inside the rear luggage
area when not in use. If you search my previous postings you'll see some piccies. Happy times ahead !
Thanks a lot for replying and recommending that ramp.
Your Leon is obviously quite a bit bigger than Isla, so if he (she?) can get up there then Isla should be able to! And obviously the 40cm width is enough for your Leon.
I like the fact you can clearly mount this in the back of the truck so avoid having to put it in the back seat.
She's been so hesitant with ramps, which is why I thought about trying steps. I met another owner with folding steps who said the same of his giant Labrador.
Free returns, so I suspect it's worth a try.

Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
I built a simple step that slid into the receiver. About to add a second step but she passed :(. Worked for years but the IG is 4” higher so might need two

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpeg
    IMG_2266.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I built a simple step that slid into the receiver. About to add a second step but she passed :(. Worked for years but the IG is 4” higher so might need two
That's very neat indeed. I have looked at the towball as an option. As you say, the Grenadier is 36" to the loadspace floor, slightly less to the bumper, so no way I can make it in one step. Stand by, I will solve this!

Back
Top Bottom