The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff locks.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
Sorry to see the damage Jean, would you mind letting us know how long it takes to replace the tail light from ordering? Be interesting if Ineos can walk the walk... cheers
I am not sure if I will order one. I'll first see if I can make some decent repair, and of course if I order one I will give feedback on the forum

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tried the diff locks again today. On a grass/sand ground it again took a while and some ten meters till the rear and front locks engaged. Then I tried on a 40 degree hill with an earth surface. Without locks the wheels did spin. I engaged all three locks and within fractions of a second all locks had been engaged after the wheels started spinning just a little bit. After ten or twenty cm the drive stopped again with now four spinning wheels. But that has been clear as it would not be possible to drive up this hill of loose material without a strong momentum.
Conclusion: the diff locks work fast if you really need them but still need their time to disengage afterwards!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
I tried the diff locks again today. On a grass/sand ground it again took a while and some ten meters till the rear and front locks engaged. Then I tried on a 40 degree hill with an earth surface. Without locks the wheels did spin. I engaged all three locks and within fractions of a second all locks had been engaged after the wheels started spinning just a little bit. After ten or twenty cm the drive stopped again with now four spinning wheels. But that has been clear as it would not be possible to drive up this hill of loose material without a strong momentum.
Conclusion: the diff locks work fast if you really need them but still need their time to disengage afterwards!
Thanks for the feedback bemax, very useful to read this update. Can you disengage them rolling backwards in reverse or neutral, down the slope? Incase you tried.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I tried the diff locks again today. On a grass/sand ground it again took a while and some ten meters till the rear and front locks engaged.
Given what you have said in the 2nd part, then would it be strictly correct to say the locks may have engaged straight away but the telltale lights took a while to indicate so?

Then I tried on a 40 degree hill with an earth surface. Without locks the wheels did spin. I engaged all three locks and within fractions of a second all locks had been engaged after the wheels started spinning just a little bit. After ten or twenty cm the drive stopped again with now four spinning wheels. But that has been clear as it would not be possible to drive up this hill of loose material without a strong momentum.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think there may be a way to distinguish between mechanical lock and telltale lock using the info in the Eaton user manual; but it would require jacking up the rear axle and placing the gearbox in neutral. The latter is suggested in the Eaton manual, but who knows whether Ineos software engineers have decided that the gearbox has to be in drive as a prerequisite to the locks being energised.

The 1st test would be jacking a single wheel as suggested here (obviously ignoring step two) :

Screenshot_20230531_194110.jpg
The 2nd test would be doing it with both rear wheels off the ground and seeing if the telltale light came on after a number of revolutions.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:50 PM
Reaction score
Hopefully, someone accepts this YouTube video challenge, DCPU. Would be very interesting to watch.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback bemax, very useful to read this update. Can you disengage them rolling backwards in reverse or neutral, down the slope? Incase you tried.
I tried but they didn’t unlock on the very short way back. I had to turn and drive twenty meters forward.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Given what you have said in the 2nd part, then would it be strictly correct to say the locks may have engaged straight away but the telltale lights took a while to indicate so?
No, the lights went yellow instantly as soon as I pushed the pedal and provoked a minimum of spinn.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking of the first bit "On a grass/sand ground it again took a while and some ten meters till the rear and front locks engaged."

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When you guys are saying it took a while to engage / disengage, are you talking about the diffs actually engaging / disengaging or just the light coming on and off again?

I only ask because they are not the same thing. Its a daft system to be honest as I think its causing confusion. Looking at the way the lockers function they should lock and unlock pretty much instantly. The only time they might not want to lock is if one wheel is spinning very fast. And it might not want to disengage if there is a lot of torque in the diff, like turning on a high grip surface.
Otherwise it should be instantaneous.
The light however only comes on or off according to disproportionate wheel movement. So if you’re turning or on very uneven ground it will go on or off quicker than if you’re on flat ground in a straight line.

You will know if it’s still engaged by the feel of the car. Ignore the light and use the diff as if it’s a simple on or off thing.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When you guys are saying it took a while to engage / disengage, are you talking about the diffs actually engaging / disengaging or just the light coming on and off again?

I only ask because they are not the same thing. Its a daft system to be honest as I think its causing confusion. Looking at the way the lockers function they should lock and unlock pretty much instantly. The only time they might not want to lock is if one wheel is spinning very fast. And it might not want to disengage if there is a lot of torque in the diff, like turning on a high grip surface.
Otherwise it should be instantaneous.
The light however only comes on or off according to disproportionate wheel movement. So if you’re turning or on very uneven ground it will go on or off quicker than if you’re on flat ground in a straight line.

You will know if it’s still engaged by the feel of the car. Ignore the light and use the diff as if it’s a simple on or off thing.
I think they really need some time. I will try out again and tell here wether it is just the light or indeed the diff which takes some time. But especially the front diff is hard to ignore. Anyway I will take a closer second look.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Good information but his pronunciation of “differential” is a bit frustrating to listen to.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
Good information but his pronunciation of “differential” is a bit frustrating to listen to.
He is from the UK so English isn't his first language.
Then he lived in New Zealand so that really screwed him up.
Now that he lives in Australia he is gradually learning to speak the language.

Back
Top Bottom