The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff locks.

Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
Watched the TFL video this morning (link below starting at 9:30 when they use a locker).
Lockers seem to be easy enough to operate, I think the button sequence has confused a few people. Haven't got my car yet, but the instructional video from ineos demonstrates the process really well.
There is another vid by Inqemar from "Grenadier_Exploring" where he shows the same. One press to town system on, then second press to lock. This is also visible in the TFL video.
I'm interested to hear if you guys are having issues with a faulty system on your car, or if your activation sequence is incorrect.

View: https://youtu.be/8sB-rZQzpz0?t=570

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
If it worked how you describe, then you are saying the rear will never lock if you drive in a straight line?

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe not never because that could only occur with any regularity in the lab. Driving straight with good traction and even tire diameters could take a while to engage though. I'd be happy to be wrong.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
I tried the diff locks again today. On a grass/sand ground it again took a while and some ten meters till the rear and front locks engaged. Then I tried on a 40 degree hill with an earth surface. Without locks the wheels did spin. I engaged all three locks and within fractions of a second all locks had been engaged after the wheels started spinning just a little bit. After ten or twenty cm the drive stopped again with now four spinning wheels. But that has been clear as it would not be possible to drive up this hill of loose material without a strong momentum.
Conclusion: the diff locks work fast if you really need them but still need their time to disengage afterwards!
And there it is.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
There is another vid by Inqemar from "Grenadier_Exploring" where he shows the same. One press to town system on, then second press to lock.
That's not correct, according to the Owner's Manual. It's a single press and hold for 1 second to activate.

I think you are thinking of Off Road & Wading modes, where each require a second press of the button to confirm you are happy to be turning off statutory requirement systems.

Local time
Reaction score
Did the front and rear not disengage when you unlocked the center diff?
Despite the Grenadier concept to move away from technology they have made it unnecessarily complicated, particularly with the diff locks, rather than rely on the experience and decisions of the driver.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
In that TFL video, the Ineos rep was so nonchalant about locking the Dif and getting out of the situation. Like, this is nothing for the Gren. Love it.

Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
Despite the Grenadier concept to move away from technology they have made it unnecessarily complicated, particularly with the diff locks, rather than rely on the experience and decisions of the driver.
Complicated how? I mean, if you need a diff lock you push a 2cm x 2cm button with any one of your 10 fingers and then drive in your chosen direction. I cant imagine any simpler way of doing this.

AWo

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
The concept of the IG was that it would be simple and unbreakable. Why then have they chosen complex electronic controls for the axle diff locks rather than levers as in the early G-Wagen?. These were simple and bomb proof. Axels frequently covered in mud, dust, water, snow etc. are not friendly places for electrics.
The axle diff locks of the G were engaged with levers? Mechanically? I would assume only the middle differential lock, as this is right under the lever itself. I don't think that the axle diff locks are engaged with a mechanical system.

The point is not if the diff lock is engaged via electric power or aif pressure, the point is, that it is a mechanical lock in the differential. However, at least with ARB locks there were problems in the past with oil entering the air comporessor and leaking seals where the air pipe has entered the housing. I would prefer an electrical engaged diff lock over an air pressure engaged one (which also depends on electric power to run the compressor). The wires are much smaller and can be sealed better and it saves space in the car.
Newer G-Wagons also use multi-disc-clutches instead of mechanical locks, whci are far more modern technical stuff that waht the IG is using. I think the IG solution is the best what they could do, if it proves to be rugged enough.

Cheers
AWo

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In 1982, Falkland Islands. Once we had liberated the Falkland Islanders to make their own choice; I found myself is Port Stanley. A couple of us grabbed a ride from a couple of SAS Colleagues of ours. The vehicle was an Argentine military G-Wagon. Since then, I always had a deep respect for the vehicle itself. Never actually owned one but very proud of the fact my Grenadier is a mixture of both that and the Defender.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Complicated how? I mean, if you need a diff lock you push a 2cm x 2cm button with any one of your 10 fingers and then drive in your chosen direction. I cant imagine any simpler way of doing this.
Only if you just press either button on it's own nothing will happen...🤔

Why does it need to flash when they are engaging but not engaged, Eaton's own don't?

Why a latching switch not a simple rocker like Eaton use?

Why can't you lock the front without the rear? Not an Eaton requirement.

Why can't you lock the front and rear without the centre? Again Eaton don't require this.

Why can't you lock the front and rear in high range? Eaton...you get the message.

Del

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
In 1982, Falkland Islands. Once we had liberated the Falkland Islanders to make their own choice; I found myself is Port Stanley. A couple of us grabbed a ride from a couple of SAS Colleagues of ours. The vehicle was an Argentine military G-Wagon. Since then, I always had a deep respect for the vehicle itself. Never actually owned one but very proud of the fact my Grenadier is a mixture of both that and the Defender.
Small world. The afternoon of 14th June 1982 I was driving a G wagon through Stanley

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
Why ... Why ... Eaton...you get the message.
The G-Fender...the thinking chap's choice
If you can navigate a smartphone the G will be child's play.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I don't want to have a political discussion here, the war was clearly a way of the Argentinian military dictatorship to deviate the attention of their people from the internal problems, but ...

I was in Argentina in 1984, let me post a picture, and then two small anecdotes ...
19840508 237 07a09 frontière San Sebastian Chile - Argentina.jpg
The guy on the picture, with whom I hitch hiked during 3 days (more or less), had a double nationality: Canadian and British, guess what the passport was he was using in Argentina? (hand before his mouth because he was smoking).

The only Argentinian whom I met and didn't agree with that war told me "I don't know why we fought for these small rocks". But he was one of the Argentinian soldiers on the Island and had been wounded by a bullet in his leg.

I understand the British reaction: almost no Argentinian citizens on the islands, and petrol in the underground!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't want to have a political discussion here, the war was clearly a way of the Argentinian military dictatorship to deviate the attention of their people from the internal problems, but ...

I was in Argentina in 1984, let me post a picture, and then two small anecdotes ...
View attachment 7814802
The guy on the picture, with whom I hitch hiked during 3 days (more or less), had a double nationality: Canadian and British, guess what the passport was he was using in Argentina? (hand before his mouth because he was smoking).

The only Argentinian whom I met and didn't agree with that war told me "I don't know why we fought for these small rocks". But he was one of the Argentinian soldiers on the Island and had been wounded by a bullet in his leg.

I understand the British reaction: almost no Argentinian citizens on the islands, and petrol in the underground!
Sadly, nothing seems to have come from the oil finds. On the people front I found them to be a great bunch when I last paid a visit by way of a pilgrimage 12 years ago. Hope to visit again next year.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The axle diff locks of the G were engaged with levers? Mechanically? I would assume only the middle differential lock, as this is right under the lever itself. I don't think that the axle diff locks are engaged with a mechanical system.
W460: Definitely mechanic. With pull rods which operated the linkage (or bowdens?) But definitely pull rods in the middle console. It took a man's arm to operate them.

punctuation

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
W460: Definitely mechanic. With pull rods which operated the linkage (or bowdens?) But definitely pull rods in the middle console. It took a mans arm to operate them.
On my 1983 230GE the front & rear diff locks were engaged by manually pulling up a finger lever. This triggered an actuator to engage the lock.

Back
Top Bottom