The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The big May 17 Announcement / Pricing / Discussion thread.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
So the pre-order that they’ve been holding under 500 bucks for two years is just to move us to the front of the line? I was expecting some kind of first mover price break. I really think that they should’ve done reservation holder pricing at a half step to the full pricing for new orders. I think a lot of people would be more apt to buy in if they are new there was a $5000 or so buffer built in.
I frankly don’t want to take delivery of my IG in the middle of winter, that is the hardest part of the year on cars here. IG has given us no reason to complete our reservations when we can wait to see if they actually work out here and get either a 2024 or 2025.

Now, maybe, being a reservation holder, will protect us from dealer markup, but Ineos can’t guarantee that.

Local time
Reaction score
OK…. pretty disappointed by the price point but not surprised.
If I go ahead and purchase a Grenadier it will be for my business as a “shop truck” and be primarily for towing (in comfort other than my many old school Defenders) and as such will be minimally equipped.

Eldoret Blue (tired of safe boring colours)
Tow pack.
Heated seats.
Side runners. (For the missus)

and that’s it….. comes out to $74,600 plus taxes etc

IMHO most of us on here want to load them up with ridiculous amounts of gear they will NEVER use just in order to “swing” at their local bar/beach/main st.

I had a long chat yesterday with my instructor from the NY event who was a very experienced off-road trainer and we agreed just having a centre diff lock was amazing and probably all that you would ever use. Unless you were crossing the Arctic/Sahara etc… of those of us in the USA I would guess that’s about 10 people in total.
He also said he knew personally a guy who had literally just ordered 3 for his personal use in different locations (obviously loaded).

So yes I’m disappointed with the price and particularly the stated MPG… bloody horrendous.
I’ve recently bought a brand new F150 3.5 eco boost (400hp/500ftlb torque) which quite frankly is bloody amazing getting 20-22mpg highway averaging 19mpg and 15 mpg towing a 6,000lb trailer through NYC & highway. Also $5,000 off list and 0% finance.👍🏻

Anyway like most of us on here I’m seriously having to justify purchasing a Grenadier so I’m gutted.

Local time
Reaction score
OK…. pretty disappointed by the price point but not surprised.
If I go ahead and purchase a Grenadier it will be for my business as a “shop truck” and be primarily for towing (in comfort other than my many old school Defenders) and as such will be minimally equipped.

Eldoret Blue (tired of safe boring colours)
Tow pack.
Heated seats.
Side runners. (For the missus)

and that’s it….. comes out to $74,600 plus taxes etc

IMHO most of us on here want to load them up with ridiculous amounts of gear they will NEVER use just in order to “swing” at their local bar/beach/main st.

I had a long chat yesterday with my instructor from the NY event who was a very experienced off-road trainer and we agreed just having a centre diff lock was amazing and probably all that you would ever use. Unless you were crossing the Arctic/Sahara etc… of those of us in the USA I would guess that’s about 10 people in total.
He also said he knew personally a guy who had literally just ordered 3 for his personal use in different locations (obviously loaded).

So yes I’m disappointed with the price and particularly the stated MPG… bloody horrendous.
I’ve recently bought a brand new F150 3.5 eco boost (400hp/500ftlb torque) which quite frankly is bloody amazing getting 20-22mpg highway averaging 19mpg and 15 mpg towing a 6,000lb trailer through NYC & highway. Also $5,000 off list and 0% finance.👍🏻

Anyway like most of us on here I’m seriously having to justify purchasing a Grenadier so I’m gutted.

look on the bright side. at least the air conditioning and the puddle lights are free.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I get it. People still had prices from 2019 in their heads when they started this journey, and they wanted to believe a bespoke import 4WD could be had for the same price as a Jeep. However, Covid and runaway inflation have blown that scenario all to hell.

My Trailmaster build came in at $91.880. I was actually expecting it to be worse...
Good thing those domestic Land Rovers are cheaper

Local time
Reaction score
I want to be at around 75 before the tax man cometh. I'm around 77.

I just took off the aux switch panel. that's almost 2k saving. don't want the almost 2k safari windows either. not worth the price for me as an expensive low tech option that seems easily compromised and potentially hazardous.. although they do look cool in pics

ez to save money on getting white. plus I think it looks the best.

pretty sure my musts are upgraded tires and 18 alloy..coupled with leather. (is there one person even getting the Bridgestone tires? IG could have really stuck it to us there for the upgrade if they wanted to, and they didn't) I can't chance getting those synthetic institutional like seats because of my back.

bump strips, runners, ladder and privacy glass would be good....I don't think I'm missing anything else

Last edited:

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They will easily sell 25,000 worldwide when it’s up and running, Australia and Africa ( mostly South Africa) will buy plenty, they are price competitive with real competitors here. If they only sell say 3000 pa in each thats 6000, UK will sell their 6000 thats 12 rest of EU another 6000 thats 18 say another 3000 in the Middle East 21000 they only need to sell another 4000 in the US to make up the 25,000 and that doesn’t include the rest of Asia and they are going there. Of course I just made all those numbers up but they are totally reasonable. Than add the pickup version
They had 7k reservations in the United States and before pricing was even known said they expected to lose half. That number has probably dramatically dropped since then. Farts in the tires are going to cost us.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I just took off the aux switch panel. that's almost 2k saving. don't want the almost 2k safari windows either. not worth the price for me as an expensive low tech option that seems easily compromised and potentially hazardous.. although they do look cool in pics

pretty sure my musts are upgraded tires and 18 alloy..coupled with leather. I can't chance getting those synthetic institutional like seats because of my back.

bump strips, runners, ladder and privacy glass would be good....I don't think I'm missing anything else
Stripping it down to get to a price point doesn’t make it any different you’re still paying more for what you’re getting

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not trying to wind anyone up and I wouldn’t say this things are anywhere close to a bargain but I am not sure why some are so shocked by the price.

My Trialmaster on the road comes in at $83k and that’s the old original price with a few extras.

The new base price in the UK for the Trialmaster works out at around $86k

Surely people looked at prices already out there to give some sort of a heads up.

If I am honest if I was in the North American market, I would be looking at some of your already available models anyway. I love the look of the Tacoma TRD.

At the IA prices I would sit and wait for a while anyway and see how the market and the vehicle itself fair in real life ownership.
Your prices include VAT. Taxes, tile/registration, epa, dealership fees are not included. That $80k base Trialmaster will be $90k before you touch it.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of imports! Vehicles and related componentry manufactured and assembled in the US for (mainly) US consumption are somewhat sheltered from price vagaries through economies of scale and operating within the "continental" USA.
The imported Grenadier is subject to current European inflationary pressures, huge increases in energy costs (there's a war going on there remember which has hiked energy cost world wide) and, most important, to the relative movement of the US$ to the Euro and GBP on foreign exchange markets. The US Fed's interest rate decisions have significant impact on Rest of the world economies. The US pricing has to take account of all of these factors. I read here of large increases in MSRP of US vehicles generally over the past couple of years...

I have great sympathy for your disappointment. However, I've not read anywhere that Ineos promised a particular price point for the US market... there was speculation on this forum based on FOREX back -of-an-envelope calculations comparing UK/European and Australian prices. ..which may have influenced expectations...but the reality is far more complex.

How does the Ineos compare pricewise to JLR offerings? That, to my mind would be the yardstick...not to the mass production output from Ford/Toyota/GM and Stellantis (Jeep)
I can get a new modded defender that’s tricked out for off-road, with warranty, for less.

Local time
Reaction score
No, I don’t need to spend time and effort convincing myself. There are endless options out there, especially as an on-road driver. I saw the new EV 7-series about 6 months before it came out. For $120k, it’s a steal, especially when compared to a Model S. It’s a mini Rolls Royce. I’d say that car it worth the $, and I have loved all the BMWs I’ve owned (including current 530e). At $85k+ the Grenadier has too many unknowns for me. Somewhere in the 70s, I would have taken the risk.

Plus, living in LA, in three years, I can pick up a lease return that’s never seen dirt.
good luck with your ev purchase. nothing wrong with buying an ev sedan, but you're in the wrong forum... you need to get back on the internet highway and exit at a forum called: "small EV car shopper." :ROFLMAO:to put a point on it: if someone game me - for free - a brand new tesla plaid I'd be happy to trade it for an IG or the new defender 110, because I don't want a car that goes 0-60 in two or three seconds, and can probably reach 150 mph. that statistic has zero value to me as an SUV shopper. Some just want a good sized SUV that can take abuse and cart lots of things on a family vacation.

Local time
Reaction score

pretty sure my musts are upgraded tires and 18 alloy..coupled with leather. (is there one person even getting the Bridgestone tires? IG could have really stuck it to us there for the upgrade if they wanted to, and they didn't) I can't chance getting those synthetic institutional like seats because of my back.

Literally the same seats, regardless of covering, so if you want leather just to have leather...go for it. But the bolstering, shape, etc. is 100% the same with the added grip of cloth.

After looking at it more, I'm not 100% out (I DID say only 99.9% ;) ) but I'd go with the Bridgestones only because I'm not a massive fan of K02s (particularly on such a heavy vehicle), and I'd rather get 33s right out of the gate as any dealership I've dealt with has been happy to fit them prior to purchase and typically buy back the OEM tires. Or throw them in the back and I'll sell them myself.

I'll hang onto my reservation until we have a better idea of what limitations/expectations there are with pre-orders. Already a bit miffed that the graphic that's been thrown around with the chevrons showing current/future-planned dealership locales does NOT match the animation they've posted on their LinkedIn page. For example, I'm in NW Virginia. There's supposed to be both an immediate MD dealership (presumably near where the test drive was) and a future Northern VA one. The LinkedIn post, however, has NJ (understandable since that's the port location), and PA. Or all the way down in NC. That "value" is diminishing.

Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
Like most on here, I've been following the journey of this car coming to market. Early reservation holder, watched many YouTubes, etc. Due to a vacation conflict I was not able to attend the local (Dallas area) driving opportunity, but attended the sneak peak last fall.

Disappointed with the pricing. My build is up to $87k, I was hoping for low $70's. While I could stretch for it, I'm now in the camp of maybe wait several years. It seems European customers are having some electric gremlins, missing accessories, driveline vibration, etc. Since it is a brand new car company I'm sure standing up the dealerships in the US will also take longer than forecasted and deliveries will continue to get pushed out. For comparison this May announcement seems like it was originally scheduled for last year.

Anyone else going to take the wait and see approach? I still love the design and the overall ethos, but feel like I should wait. My main worry is that they will increase pricing even more. But then if they do that I think they get into truly premium product without premium options that those customers are accustomed to (ventilated seats, adaptive cruise, more premium interior materials etc.). I have a 2013 4Runner Trail that's been plenty reliable, but I'm ready for an upgrade.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The LinkedIn post, however, has NJ (understandable since that's the port location), and PA. Or all the way down in NC. That "value" is diminishing.
Can you post a link or screen grab of that?

Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
good luck with your ev purchase. nothing wrong with buying an ev sedan, but you're in the wrong forum... you need to get back on the internet highway and exit at a forum called: "small EV car shopper." :ROFLMAO:to put a point on it: if someone game me - for free - a brand new tesla plaid I'd be happy to trade it for an IG or the new defender 110, because I don't want a car that goes 0-60 in two or three seconds, and can probably reach 150 mph. that statistic has zero value to me as an SUV shopper. Some just want a good sized SUV that can take abuse and cart lots of things on a family vacation.
My point wasn’t that I’d rather buy the sedan. My point is that some things are more worth the asking price than others. For me, the Grenadier is not worth the asking price, at least with all the unknowns. There’s no reason other than FOMO that I need to be an early adopter at this price point.

Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
Like most on here, I've been following the journey of this car coming to market. Early reservation holder, watched many YouTubes, etc. Due to a vacation conflict I was not able to attend the local (Dallas area) driving opportunity, but attended the sneak peak last fall.

Disappointed with the pricing. My build is up to $87k, I was hoping for low $70's. While I could stretch for it, I'm now in the camp of maybe wait several years. It seems European customers are having some electric gremlins, missing accessories, driveline vibration, etc. Since it is a brand new car company I'm sure standing up the dealerships in the US will also take longer than forecasted and deliveries will continue to get pushed out. For comparison this May announcement seems like it was originally scheduled for last year.

Anyone else going to take the wait and see approach? I still love the design and the overall ethos, but feel like I should wait. My main worry is that they will increase pricing even more. But then if they do that I think they get into truly premium product without premium options that those customers are accustomed to (ventilated seats, adaptive cruise, more premium interior materials etc.). I have a 2013 4Runner Trail that's been plenty reliable, but I'm ready for an upgrade.
I hedging my bet that given the vehicle and given the price, they will sell to all the “gotta have it” buyers with 2-3 years. Given the price, plenty will lease. Plenty of those who lease will return. There will be cheaper than MSRP vehicles out there in a few years. This isn’t a limited production like the 90s NAS Defender, and while pricy, there’s a used G wagon out there for anyone who wants one.

I just did a search for Defenders within 100 miles of me. 440 new ones and 60 used ones available. As for G-wagons, there are 14 new ones and 40 used ones. Not that I want either, but there are plenty out there.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Switching gears a bit - I just found this and highlighted some things I found interesting. Just sharing for the sake of it, although I have many questions - mainly when I see "standard" I think that is for the base-base trim but perhaps this incorporates "standard features" relevant to specific trim levels.

1684418454465.png

Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom