The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The big May 17 Announcement / Pricing / Discussion thread.

Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of imports! Vehicles and related componentry manufactured and assembled in the US for (mainly) US consumption are somewhat sheltered from price vagaries through economies of scale and operating within the "continental" USA.
The imported Grenadier is subject to current European inflationary pressures, huge increases in energy costs (there's a war going on there remember which has hiked energy cost world wide) and, most important, to the relative movement of the US$ to the Euro and GBP on foreign exchange markets. The US Fed's interest rate decisions have significant impact on Rest of the world economies. The US pricing has to take account of all of these factors. I read here of large increases in MSRP of US vehicles generally over the past couple of years...

I have great sympathy for your disappointment. However, I've not read anywhere that Ineos promised a particular price point for the US market... there was speculation on this forum based on FOREX back -of-an-envelope calculations comparing UK/European and Australian prices. ..which may have influenced expectations...but the reality is far more complex.

How does the Ineos compare pricewise to JLR offerings? That, to my mind would be the yardstick...not to the mass production output from Ford/Toyota/GM and Stellantis (Jeep)
Spot-on, INEOS never made price a selling point. The Americas are not what the vehicle was designed for and not a significant market for Grenadier compared with Africa and increasingly Australasia so there was never going to be a discounted/low-spec US version.

Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
It really comes down to who did the firmware and software for all the bits (and there are a lot of them even on the grenadier). If they outsourced it to a sub par supplier to keep costs low, things could get ugly. If they did it in-house, did they hire the right people with experience to do it right?

Good point. And I have no idea on the answer.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
About $20k more for the sameish spec.
I am not familiar with US Defender prices, but here in Australia, if you look at the advertised base price of a Defender it looks on paper to come in about $20 less than a Grenadier. But in reality when you start to add stuff like:
- off road pack
- towing pack
- leather
- sunroof
You quickly go well past the Grenadier. I specced up the Defender I wanted, diesel with the mid spec engine, off road pack and towing and it went to $160k ($AUD) I am paying $127k for my Grenadier Trialmaster. And for that I get Safari windows, winch, bullbar Side runnners, brush bars. Dual batteries, diff locks etc, all of which are either extra (beyond the $160) or unavailable. To be fair the current Australian price for mine would be closer to $140k but I think the Defender has also had price rises since I ordered.

Local time
Reaction score
I am not familiar with US Defender prices, but here in Australia, if you look at the advertised base price of a Defender it looks on paper to come in about $20 less than a Grenadier. But in reality when you start to add stuff like:
- off road pack
- towing pack
- leather
- sunroof
You quickly go well past the Grenadier. I specced up the Defender I wanted, diesel with the mid spec engine, off road pack and towing and it went to $160k ($AUD) I am paying $127k for my Grenadier Trialmaster. And for that I get Safari windows, winch, bullbar Side runnners, brush bars. Dual batteries, diff locks etc, all of which are either extra (beyond the $160) or unavailable. To be fair the current Australian price for mine would be closer to $140k but I think the Defender has also had price rises since I ordered.

$140kAUS is ~$93k USD, which is about in line with outfitted IG's in the USA. So, Aussie's aren't getting any special discount pricing.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
- off road pack
- towing pack
- leather
- sunroof
And the Defender's ugly
I'm not paying more for an ugly car with too many electronics! That would be silly!

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
- off road pack
- towing pack
- leather
- sunroof

I just priced out a US Defender 110 as close as possible to my Grenadier. $75K for Defender vs $85K for Grenadier. I will go with Grenadier.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We feel for a lot of our USA Brethren regarding the price shock.
I think most of us felt a little similar when the prices were initially released here in OZ, however after the initial phase passed, we still saw the value in the vehicle despite the pricing.
I would be interested to hear @Stu_Barnes take on it all, and how the pricing sits in the USA market, and how it is impacting perceptions.

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
Ineos has told me in several conversations that if you were one of the original reservation holders - I reserved the day the reservation option was available, there would not be a dealer mark up - and the dealers had to honor the sticker pricing. After the first wave of deliveries for the US - its subject to what ever the dealers want to charge.
Heard the same.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Ineos will sell all the Grenadiers it's allocated to the US. But it will be selling them to a different crowd than most people expected.

And I'm not sure that those buyers will be willing to put up with Ineos's, um, quirky customer service.

Personally, I could afford one but I'm not sure I can justify one. With CA sales tax, delivery fees, etc, my saved build is getting towards $100k. Twice the price of a 4Runner.

I think Ineos has decided that the Grenadier will be some kind of "heritage brand" and sold as an expensive status symbol to be paraded in Wegmans parking lots (or Waitrose in the UK). Future EV models might be cheaper.

Local time
Reaction score
Mine came out to a little over $89K. With possible dealer markups, taxes, licenses and other fees, this will easily go over $100K :( I was hoping to get one out the door ~$85K but that doesn't look like it will happen. I'm in the same boat as most of you here that's contemplating on another vehicle. I've had my eye on a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon but I really wanted the IG to have something different to what's already out there. I was willing to take the risk of being one of the first one to own this but for $100K+ with lots of uncertainty of being a new manufacturer and the type of support I would get, this is really making me think and to be honest not looking too good.
Yeah, I felt the same way. Not at all the "pick-up truck segment pricing" (paraphrasing) of the early marketing. I decided not to be a test dummy for the North American market at that price and canceled my reservation. I'm really disappointed. I have been following Grenadier development since before the reveal of the initial design, through all the development stages, etc. I didn't expect it to be cheap, but a $72K starting price is just dumb.

Local time
Reaction score
In case someone wants to see a typical tax and fee breakdown for California (I'm assuming the destination fee isn't part of the calc) ... this is for $85k. California insanity at it's finest.
Screenshot_20230517-185704~2.png

Screenshot_20230517-185743~2.png
Screenshot_20230517-185717~2.png
Screenshot_20230517-185731~2.png

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
Folks also have to consider how much it costs to get a properly redone Defender from Arkonik or ECD Automotive. These are easily double the cost of an IG and in many ways a better comp — at least for me — than a Toyota Taco or some other piece of plastic.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So now going down the road of what I can get for $80kish or less
Nicely equipped 2024 Defender 110 3.0l ($78,600 including destination)
Nicely equipped 2024 Ram Power Wagon ($79,660 including destination)
Loaded Jeep Gladiator Rubicon $65,625 (OUCH)
Loaded 2023 Colorado ZR2 with $30 K Left over
Loaded New Bronco with about $15K Left over (OUCH)
2024 Tacoma with $$$ left over
Next Gen 4 runner $$$ left over

The LR3 on Cars and Bids the other day with only 24K miles on it, $55k Left over
Just putting a lift kit on my F150, $78K Left over

Just a small list of options that I have been looking at, seems like life in the automotive world is pretty good, even if the Grenadier is a little more pricey than I was hoping.

I remember the day we bought our Volvo XC70 back in the mid 2000s, couldn't believe we would spend $38,000 on a car.

Local time
Reaction score
In case someone wants to see a typical tax and fee breakdown for California (I'm assuming the destination fee isn't part of the calc) ... this is for $85k. California insanity at it's finest.

But in return, we get the best maintained roads in the nation!

Actually, maybe I do need a Grenadier to go to the grocery store.

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
So now going down the road of what I can get for $80kish or less
Nicely equipped 2024 Defender 110 3.0l ($78,600 including destination)
Nicely equipped 2024 Ram Power Wagon ($79,660 including destination)
Loaded Jeep Gladiator Rubicon $65,625 (OUCH)
Loaded 2023 Colorado ZR2 with $30 K Left over
Loaded New Bronco with about $15K Left over (OUCH)
2024 Tacoma with $$$ left over
Next Gen 4 runner $$$ left over

The LR3 on Cars and Bids the other day with only 24K miles on it, $55k Left over
Just putting a lift kit on my F150, $78K Left over

Just a small list of options that I have been looking at, seems like life in the automotive world is pretty good, even if the Grenadier is a little more pricey than I was hoping.

I remember the day we bought our Volvo XC70 back in the mid 2000s, couldn't believe we would spend $38,000 on a car.
I saw some nice low miles (~30k) G550s for $80k while looking for alternatives today. Used cars can be negotiated as well, so probably lower than that.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You missed this one!
That one requires a double entendre. I think. I've never seen that meme without one. (That's among my favorites.)78678442_2438424489758831_1547145982792171520_o.jpg

It's a really old one:

Egyptian-cat-meme.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom