The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sticking door handle button?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Any real chemists like to chime in?
I'm not a chemist, but Google reveals that WD-40 in Germany (or EU?) is different from WD-40 USA. Here in Germany it is mostly what we call 'Petrolether', i.e. basically a kind of white spirit.

So here it is definitely not a lubricant but a solvent - which is not suitable for lubrication, obviously.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not a chemist, but Google reveals that WD-40 in Germany (or EU?) is different from WD-40 USA. Here in Germany it is mostly what we call 'Petrolether', i.e. basically a kind of white spirit.

So here it is definitely not a lubricant but a solvent - which is not suitable for lubrication, obviously.
If I understood it wel, WD-40 became a brand, based on the original product, but they have now different kinds of lubricants.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
If I understood it wel, WD-40 became a brand, based on the original product, but they have now different kinds of lubricants.
Yes, but you mean "chemistry". It is (in Germany) a solvent.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, Ballistol is the panacea for problems from camels in the desert to spaceships in the galaxies.

It is btw. basically made of (medical) "weißöl". The stuff with which babies get their butts embalmed. 👶

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
WD stands for “Water Displacement” and this was supposedly the 40th formula. It is more cleaner, de-gunker than anything and may preform like a lubricant because it frees up mechanisms. But it should be followed up by a real lubricant.

ETA: IIRC, it came out of the program to service ICBMs in the US.

EETA: It probably is no where near as good as the original formula considering all the restrictions on solvents.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
About a month ago I had all rear door buttons start to stick, right when family arrived for a visit. After a few days use they never stuck again. No lube was harmed in this process, only new door handles bedding in…

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
About a month ago I had all rear door buttons start to stick, right when family arrived for a visit. After a few days use they never stuck again. No lube was harmed in this process, only new door handles bedding in…
How long had you owned it when that started to happen? For a lot of us, it seems like it’s the rear doors - and I’m wondering if that’s simply b/c they’re used less frequently

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
How long had you owned it when that started to happen? For a lot of us, it seems like it’s the rear doors - and I’m wondering if that’s simply b/c they’re used less frequently
Happened to all my handles within the first month of ownership. It’s been a continual struggle as well. Some days they stick worse than others. I’m wondering if it may be temperature related.
Never did it in warm climate, only seems to happen on 10-15 C days.

The real pain is when a passenger doesn’t realise it and slams the door to close, with the stuck mechanism the door won’t latch. Embarrassing…

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Probably around four months. Occasionally the front would stick, then a weekend of the rear doors sticking every single time. Then perfect ever since. Now 6-months of ownership.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Probably around four months. Occasionally the front would stick, then a weekend of the rear doors sticking every single time. Then perfect ever since. Now 6-months of ownership.
Hmm - ok, there goes my theory. For me, it was also a few months in, but still happening randomly a few months after that - not often, but randomly and infrequently

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Happened to all my handles within the first month of ownership. It’s been a continual struggle as well. Some days they stick worse than others. I’m wondering if it may be temperature related.
Never did it in warm climate, only seems to happen on 10-15 C days.

The real pain is when a passenger doesn’t realise it and slams the door to close, with the stuck mechanism the door won’t latch. Embarrassing…
Yep - I’m with you. Not sure about temp - it’s still happening to me in summer (maybe you guys didn’t get the memo down there - summer is supposed to be the hot season). So far, it’s just been in the back seats, and I’ve only had my kids (adults and surprise little) in back, but I’m literally double checking the door after they get in. I had one rear door swing open on a turn with little in the back in her booster seat. Very scary. I’ve got to get this fixed - can’t keep double checking every time.

KBKLR

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
My car has been in twice to have the doors fixed, and are no better. Has anyone got experience of an improvement after the dealer has serviced or attempted to fix the doors, and not just a brief period of things getting better. Have Ineos approved a revised fix for this other than the early ones discussed.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My car has been in twice to have the doors fixed, and are no better. Has anyone got experience of an improvement after the dealer has serviced or attempted to fix the doors, and not just a brief period of things getting better. Have Ineos approved a revised fix for this other than the early ones discussed.
How long have you owned your Grenadier? A lot of owners are saying “it just stopped sticking” after a break-in period. I’ve had mine since March. I think it’s been about a month since the last time it stuck (it was always the rear right hand door). I took it in yesterday to have it fixed, but am out of town for a few days so we’ll have to see.

KBKLR

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
How long have you owned your Grenadier? A lot of owners are saying “it just stopped sticking” after a break-in period. I’ve had mine since March. I think it’s been about a month since the last time it stuck (it was always the rear right hand door). I took it in yesterday to have it fixed, but am out of town for a few days so we’ll have to see.
I have had my Grenny since May 2023, so 15 months overall. mine is an early Vin

Back
Top Bottom