The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sticking door handle button?

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
Constant storms seem to have exacerbated the problem. Maybe more debris and corrosion inside the door button mechanism. Stuck buttons occurring more often now. Lubrication only delays the next occurrence.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
Well I was too lazy to go to the store and decided to press each door’s button 30 times or so. Must have loosened things up because no issues since. Who lnows.
I agree with you, my driver and passenger door very rarely stick now, through use. Similarly the back door is getting better. All I need to do is carry more rear seat passengers

Top Cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
I am having trouble with the drivers side door (R/H Drive) button not popping back out.
Last week I was at an accident holding the traffic back when I had to move the car to let the ambulance in.
I opened the driver door and closed it but couldn't move the car as it went into stop mode as the door wasnt secured. I got out and fiddled with the locking mechanism and finally got the button to pop back and was able to close the door. A bit embarrassing!
Now the passenger door has started doing it.
Anyone else having this issue?
TC

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
I am having trouble with the drivers side door (R/H Drive) button not popping back out.
Last week I was at an accident holding the traffic back when I had to move the car to let the ambulance in.
I opened the driver door and closed it but couldn't move the car as it went into stop mode as the door wasnt secured. I got out and fiddled with the locking mechanism and finally got the button to pop back and was able to close the door. A bit embarrassing!
TC
That's a recurrent problem with quite some Grenadiers, I had it too. They place some additional rubber rings in the mechanism, but it doesn't always solve the problem

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
Yep, I was told by agent too much grease.... apparently easy fix.... was done at agent a month ago but has returned, only one door - drivers side rear RHD. I did try silicone spray and that worked for a little while. Still sticks now and I've learnt to bump the button area hard with my hand and it pops out. Will ask for a permanent fix next service.

Brandtnm

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
Plain WD40, while moving the button in and out, fixed mine, and because it isn’t really a lubricant but rather a water dispersant (‘WD’) it doesn’t gum up the works with microscopic waterproof silicon residue after a few weeks.

Dok

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
TC

Permanent (till next issue) fix = Buttons replacement (except for the driver one with the key which seems a problem to order).
Have them changed 10 days ago.

Workaround = WD40.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Plain WD40, while moving the button in and out, fixed mine, and because it isn’t really a lubricant but rather a water dispersant (‘WD’) it doesn’t gum up the works with microscopic waterproof silicon residue after a few weeks.
Doesn't WD40 eventually rot rubber? That's why I use silicon or better still ptfe based spray

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought they had a fix for this with some replacement parts as I was asked if mine needed looking at when they had it in for work

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Graphite powder is your friend. Use a small 'tomato sauce' squeezer an shoot it in there!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
There is a Technical Service Bulletin which addresses this issue.

About an hour of work for each door as they have to dismantle the entire mechanic inside the door. 🤷‍♂️

So forget WD40 and other tricks.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
There is a Technical Service Bulletin which addresses this issue.

About an hour of work for each door as they have to dismantle the entire mechanic inside the door. 🤷‍♂️

So forget WD40 and other tricks.
Thanks for sending - actually had the door swing open on a left hand turn, with my little one in the back. Of course the alarm went off, but her scream was definitely louder! Will have this addressed next time I’m in.

Brandtnm

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
Doesn't WD40 eventually rot rubber? That's why I use silicon or better still ptfe based spray
I had not heard that before. So I checked with the hive mind (because everything you read on the Internet is true 🙄). But it sounds like that is true for some plastics. Apparently:
Amorphous polymers like polycarbonate, polystyrenes, and PVC are the kind that are vulnerable to WD-40-based erosion. These are the kinds of plastics you'd find in things like plastic cutlery, baby bottles, optical discs, and LCD screens. If you spray these things with WD-40, they're going to break down.
But , crystalline plastics are more resistant to erosion caused by WD-40. These include things like polypropylene, polyethylene, polyester, and nylon. This stuff is used in the creation of tougher plastic objects like laboratory-grade chairs or dishwasher-safe Tupperware.

So, I see two possibilities; 1 the plastics in our doorhandle are crystalline and it’s not doing anything but slicking stuff, OR 2 that the too tight factory seals are actually getting degraded on a microscopic level, thus making them no longer too tight.

Any real chemists like to chime in?

Full disclaimer: not a chemist!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had not heard that before. So I checked with the hive mind (because everything you read on the Internet is true 🙄). But it sounds like that is true for some plastics. Apparently:
Amorphous polymers like polycarbonate, polystyrenes, and PVC are the kind that are vulnerable to WD-40-based erosion. These are the kinds of plastics you'd find in things like plastic cutlery, baby bottles, optical discs, and LCD screens. If you spray these things with WD-40, they're going to break down.
But , crystalline plastics are more resistant to erosion caused by WD-40. These include things like polypropylene, polyethylene, polyester, and nylon. This stuff is used in the creation of tougher plastic objects like laboratory-grade chairs or dishwasher-safe Tupperware.

So, I see two possibilities; 1 the plastics in our doorhandle are crystalline and it’s not doing anything but slicking stuff, OR 2 that the too tight factory seals are actually getting degraded on a microscopic level, thus making them no longer too tight.

Any real chemists like to chime in?

Full disclaimer: not a chemist!
I'll just stick with silicone, ptfe or graphite spray to be on the safe side.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My boot door lock had this issue - and only after the wife used a drive through clean!! I suspect soap being slapped into the mechanism fouled whatever grease/rings are in there and made it tacky. After about 40x presses and roughly 3 grams of graphite (the ultra-fine version for precision tools) and now working as intended. Will have to be dealt with at dealers later when I have spare time!

Back
Top Bottom