The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Service Reset Procedure - Oil Change (currently only possible with dealer level scan tools)

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:27 PM
Reaction score
In theory it is not too difficult to get into the canbus system and develop a tool/method of resetting the oil service.

The basic method is to connect into the canbus and record the messages while the service reset is being done with the main dealer tool. The tools to record (aka sniffing) the canbus activities are made up of various low cost devices readily available.

Provided you can identify the specific message, the message can be played back. There's a possibility that the message is encrypted, unlikely since you can hack the security system of many cars using this method. Another challenge might be that different software variants might have different messages.

Just waiting for somebody to do it.

Last edited:

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Ok - following up here - ANYONE have a maintenance reset procedure? If I had the time - yes I could probably hack into the binary code of the CAN/BUS IOS on the IG and eventually change the 1’s to 0’s, or vice versa, resulting in a reset of the oil maintenance interval, but that is not a viable option for 99% of the owners. So for the 10-15% that will actually change their own oil, filters, etc - we need a reasonable procedure and solution.

I have called at least 10+ dealers in the US and NONE of them have an answer to this very simple question. I guess we will see what time tells us, but we need an answer.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Best chance imo would be to take to independent service provider that specializes in bmw and see what they can do.

BInder

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is about resetting a service reminder or why a manufacturer would make it difficult. It's a REMINDER. That's all. A convenience.

If a customer wants to reset their reminder, and then *not* get the service performed by a dealer or by themselves (properly documented, with authorized parts) ... well, that's on them. They'll probably find their warranty invalid if they ever try to use it. Your vehicle; your choice.

Car warranties worked for decades without touchscreens and clever reminders. Amazing! The industry ultimately relied upon (as they still do today, thanks to consumer protection laws) ... documentation of the service! Whether or not a manufacturer or dealer accepts independent documentation to keep a warranty valid is another matter and ultimately the purview of legislation and courts.
well, it's yet another "reminder" that pops up annoyingly on the system. It's easy to get "authorized" parts for a common engine and if you're 700 miles from the nearest dealer and don't want to drive there and back or spend $1700 to ship there and back there needs to be a solution while there is a limited dealer network.

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
It's not a BMW and has nothing to do with a BMW.

They can't do squat.
Actually with BMW tech software you can access a lot of the onboard equipment. Unfortunately they have put the CBS service under some protocol we can’t access. I can reset Break service, transmission service, and many other technical relearns via BMW ISTA

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Actually with BMW tech software you can access a lot of the onboard equipment. Unfortunately they have put the CBS service under some protocol we can’t access. I can reset Break service, transmission service, and many other technical relearns via BMW ISTA
Interesting - the Ineos is using a modified Bosch Grade-X software, but it sounds like the BMW ISTA is able to access some of the ancillary ECU's they share, but the Grade-X is the interface that matters & is still the nut to crack.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:27 PM
Reaction score
Interesting - the Ineos is using a modified Bosch Grade-X software, but it sounds like the BMW ISTA is able to access some of the ancillary ECU's they share, but the Grade-X is the interface that matters & is still the nut to crack.
This is the first vehicle I've owned which requires regular S/W updates. Unless and until Ineos engineers finally settle on an optimised software suite for the current generation, then it seems pointless investing in a scanner of any sort...because within a short period due to further "updates" the scanner might be as effective as a brick .... I thought this endless software update routine was the penchant of Microsoft and sundry other annoying s/w companies (and military combat system developers!...but that was a long ago nightmare🤬)

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:27 PM
Reaction score
This is the first vehicle I've owned which requires regular S/W updates. Unless and until Ineos engineers finally settle on an optimised software suite for the current generation, then it seems pointless investing in a scanner of any sort...because within a short period due to further "updates" the scanner might be as effective as a brick .... I thought this endless software update routine was the penchant of Microsoft and sundry other annoying s/w companies (and military combat system developers!...but that was a long ago nightmare🤬)
Even my fridge asked if I wanted to update the software the other day.

Back
Top Bottom