The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Nolden Headlights

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
It was just one journalism review I understand, but poorer quality LED low beam headlights aren't important to you?
I read the extra lights as being the ones in the center (believe those are auxiliary lights, not high beams?), but using these would probably blind oncoming drivers, so you're in the same boat as MotorTrend; supposedly lackluster main/low beam lights.

@AWo , a great point being made about IG's ~8.x" main headlights. A bit strange they didn't go with commonplace 7", which would be easier to find in Ghemakistan than an 8.x" will be.

Also, is Nolden testing their manufacturer's lamps themselves, or is Nolden's manufacturer testing these overseas(ie east of you)?
I just did not get it as an important point from this article. And I will report as soon as I am disappointed by the grenadiers lights. I just need to get my hands on it!

Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
There seems to be a huge variable between projected and actual lifespan numbers for LED lights. One thing I've noticed is that the original household LED light last much longer than the newer models. I have a 120 watt equivalent outside LED spotlight that is probably 10 years old, and a back stairway 60 watt equivalent that is even older. Both still going fine. The lamps I've bought in the past 5 years, especially lower wattage bulbs seem to only last a year or two. Is this Private equity owners demanding a continuing revenue model on yet another product? Or am I paranoid?

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
There seems to be a huge variable between projected and actual lifespan numbers for LED lights. One thing I've noticed is that the original household LED light last much longer than the newer models. I have a 120 watt equivalent outside LED spotlight that is probably 10 years old, and a back stairway 60 watt equivalent that is even older. Both still going fine. The lamps I've bought in the past 5 years, especially lower wattage bulbs seem to only last a year or two. Is this Private equity owners demanding a continuing revenue model on yet another product? Or am I paranoid?

Hrmmmmm, me thinks the latter, sorry to say!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
Nope fully agree. Another comparison is the leather used in car seats. Early 200 Series landcruiser seats are made of good strong leather that mostly is as good today as 10-15 years ago.
I’ve heard of quite a few people with 2015-2018 models where the “leather” in the seats has cracked and torn and worn out already.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I've heard of quite a few people with 2015-2018 models where the “leather” in the seats has cracked and torn and worn out already.
I'm firmly of the belief that the current generation of cows is less thick skinned than it used to be.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
10 years ago LED lights were expensive.
Now we only want to pay $2 for them.
Quality has to drop
Plus no manufacturer wants to sell you a product that lasts 20 years.
They want repeat business

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Quality has to drop
I sure hope Sir Jim and his underlings don’t subscribe to that ethos…….

Particularly since we ain’t just paying $2 and I can get a new dual cab ute for $40k (or more) less than a Grenny.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Some Grenadiers will cop 20 years' worth of abuse in the 1st 2 years. Hopefully with an eye on commercial robustness the componentry such as lighting will reflect this.
Any car with a bunch of original components after 20 years will require as they say in the classic car world "recommissioning". Even and perhaps especially if it's lived a pampered indoor seldom used life.
Hopefully the parts will still be obtainable for 80 year olds like me to install 😁

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I sure hope Sir Jim and his underlings don’t subscribe to that ethos…….

Particularly since we ain’t just paying $2 and I can get a new dual cab ute for $40k (or more) less than a Grenny.
I think we are all hoping that he is good to his word and will supply a 50 year 4WD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
We were discussing Nolden, and they only warrant their products for 3 years. I believe by law, in the EU, they have to offer 2 years as a minimum.

Under what column would you look to apply the warranty term on the LED headlights? Mechanical? Parts?

Screenshot_20230304_072531.jpg
Light bulbs are deemed as consumables and so excluded from the warranty terms. Are LED lamps light bulbs by equivalence?

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Quality has to drop
Doesn't Moore's law cover that one off?

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Quality has to drop
So,
We were discussing Nolden, and they only warrant their products for 3 years. I believe by law, in the EU, they have to offer 2 years as a minimum.

Under what column would you look to apply the warranty term on the LED headlights? Mechanical? Parts?

View attachment 7804985
Light bulbs are deemed as consumables and so excluded from the warranty terms. Are LED lamps light bulbs by equivalence?
LED light bulbs are not OEM, so consumer products and 100% aftermarket.

Two years by law is correct but only to end customers. Between companies it is one year.

In addition you have to distinguish if the light comes in a new car from the OEM or if bought it in the aftermarket.

The warranty you get for the headlights depents on the minimum warranty the Ineos dealer must (2 years) and additional warranty they grant to you. Of course, the dealer backs that up with the manufacturer. Let's say 5 years.
The warranty the car manufacturer gets from Nolden is minimum one year and what they wrote in their contract.

If you have problems with the lights during warranty you must go to Ineos.

If you buy the lights in the aftermarket, the dealer must grant you the warranty which is backed up by Nolden. However, the dealer can grant you more but in most cases won't.

AWo

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Quality has to drop
I'm not sure if the customer wants that in any case, if I look at markets like for Smartphones or even the 2,5 years between facelifts and modell changes in the car industrie. Many people lease their cars. For them only the first three to five years are important. And then they want the latest gimmicks.

My impression is, that in industrial nations people don't want to drive cars for twenty years, lor longer like the one or the other here might do it. In poorer countries that might be the same but the people can't afford it.

My youngest car is 6 years old, the oldes 52. Still running strong....

Cheers
AWo

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the customer wants that in any case, if I look at markets like for Smartphones or even the 2,5 years between facelifts and modell changes in the car industrie. Many people lease their cars. For them only the first three to five years are important. And then they want the latest gimmicks.
Almost all of that was expressly what Projekt Grenadier was set up not to be.

Local time
Reaction score
Yes, but in between all of this positive points it didn’t seem to important to me. Especially as they mentioned that they didn’t use the extra lights. I am not sure whether those extra lights have been a light bar on the roof or just the two extra lights in the middle of the grill.
The "extra lights" they mention are the two in the front grill, but these are for off-road use only. So if (emphasize "if") the main headlights aren't bright enough for on-road use, then one would need to turn to the aftermarket.

EDIT: the Grenadier brochure lists these as "Auxiliary High Beam Lights" for "driving off road or in complete darkness" (i.e. in dark on-road environments). My mistake.

Lights.png

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The "extra lights" they mention are the two in the front grill, but these are for off-road use only. So if (emphasize "if") the main headlights aren't bright enough for on-road use, then one would need to turn to the aftermarket.
It is legal to use these auxiliary lights on road in the UK, (classified as driving lights under Construction and Use regulations) - IF - they extinguish upon dipping the main beam. I'm sure I've seen that comment as well in one of the videos

Local time
Reaction score
In the U.S. - the simple version is that headlights (i.e. on-road driving lights) cannot be brighter than 3000 lumens. Anything brighter must be sold as "for off-road use only". See, for example: https://www.policygenius.com/auto-insurance/are-led-headlights-legal/

But it seems that things are more complicated thanks to our archaic regulations. This was new to me, but here is an interesting read on head light regulations in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom