The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fusilier On Hold???

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
The Chinese are expected to produce 10 Million EV’s in 2024 for both domestic and international markets, and they are heavily subsidized by the state.
How do you compete with that, even if you have better quality? Car manufacturers will make and sell them at a loss.
I also have a view that current EV technology will quickly be replaced by something more sustainable and efficient, and so in 10 years time current EV’s will be worth leas than paperweights.
Not a lot of incentive to buy one inmy opinion, let alone manufacture one.
Expect the US to implement a 100% tariff on import of Chinese EV imports. This would be from either party in control next year. Personally I’m a free market guy. Let consumers decide if they want to buy a $15,000 Chinese EV or $30,000 US EV.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
Expect the US to implement a 100% tariff on import of Chinese EV imports. This would be from either party in control next year. Personally I’m a free market guy. Let consumers decide if they want to buy a $15,000 Chinese EV or $30,000 US EV.
What makes it "Chinese"?
Volvo EVs are made in China.
A bloody good vehicle in all respects!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
What makes it "Chinese"?
Not going to lie, saw one being towed the other day. I have seen a few BYDs on the side of road also - ready for tow. Saw 2 Tesla's in 2 days ready for tow. I also saw a new LR for tow. I have not seen a Grenadier yet ready for tow - fingers crossed I dont see my own soon!!!

Bluesurf

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos needs to concentrate on the Grenadier. They need to get things right. There are many issues that had promises and have not been kept. How can Ineos bring out an electric 4X4 when they have promises to keep, not promises to miss. I follow the Grenadier on youTube and people getting their delivery a week ago have many small issues. The water intrusion can really hurt the brand and the resale.

AWo

Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
Not going to lie, saw one being towed the other day. I have seen a few BYDs on the side of road also - ready for tow. Saw 2 Tesla's in 2 days ready for tow. I also saw a new LR for tow. I have not seen a Grenadier yet ready for tow - fingers crossed I dont see my own soon!!!

For me with my Land Rover it's vice versa. I often see all kinds of cars passing by.

AWo

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score

While I agree somewhat on that when it comes to BYD and other Chinese makes I have production reservations. If we can't import a car less than 25 years old or a pick up truck without the chicken tax into the US why should we be able to buy a foreign car that may or may not be up to the US's "safety" standards. Again I know nothing about BYD and the like it.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
Ineos needs to concentrate on the Grenadier. They need to get things right. There are many issues that had promises and have not been kept. How can Ineos bring out an electric 4X4 when they have promises to keep, not promises to miss. I follow the Grenadier on youTube and people getting their delivery a week ago have many small issues. The water intrusion can really hurt the brand and the resale.

Pretty much this. Get the dang thing right before tackling something else.

Additionally, even the most optimistic among us knows that Grenadier sales have not maxed out the Hambach plant's capabilities. Ineos doesn't need an EV to offset to its ICE vehicles until Grenadier production numbers require it. What they need to make is a shortened two-seat Grenadier along the lines of a '04-'06 Jeep LJ or the old Toyota FJ43. Same parts and same drivetrain as the fullsize model so the engineering is mostly done. Throw in a cheap removable 2nd row bench to avoid the chicken tax. Fuel economy numbers would bump up a bit too.

If I was an urban Metrosexual I'd be demanding self driving electric taxis. Why bother with the whole charging/parking/insurance/maintenance/depreciation clusterf*ck?

pieter1475

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Right now I wouldn't have any Chinese built vehicle and I'm not in the market for any brand of EV. I still love the petrol polluters too much.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What makes it "Chinese"?
The Chinese made Teslas are generally viewed as being better built with a more consistent finish than the USA built Teslas in markets where product from both factories has been supplied, even by the Tesla fanboys.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
While I agree somewhat on that when it comes to BYD and other Chinese makes I have production reservations. If we can't import a car less than 25 years old or a pick up truck without the chicken tax into the US why should we be able to buy a foreign car that may or may not be up to the US's "safety" standards. Again I know nothing about BYD and the like it.
On the safety standards, it appears that the likes of BYD are pretty good.
The main issue seems to be a complete lack of accident repair panels and a very limited supply of parts.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My wife's old mini had that problem.
No point having a can of glue and a pump when the side wall has ripped out.
Had to go on a flatbed to somewhere that stocked a replacement tyre. Hard to find somewhere.
View attachment 7862360
For not very much you can get a tread repair set; far better than the can of goo. let's face it , most people have never removed a tyre valve either.
Not that sidewalls can be easily repaired.
Unless you are a Leyland Brother.
LB.png

View: https://youtu.be/NguKEVAv18M?si=dKhx13_SRpshPE8N

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What makes it "Chinese"?
I dunno - I think there is a valid concern. I mentioned that if I can’t do the Fusilier for my wife, I would probably look at Volvo XC60 or Audi Q5 (I think you said you had an XC40?). Although the Volvo is Swedish, Chinese ownership is a concern for me. There are no more ruthless capitalists than the communists - they are relentless in the drive for profitability. It is NOT “the Scandinavian way.” I’m concerned about their long term commitment to the brand - it’s part of Swedish identity, not China. On the other hand, the German government will absolutely die on the hill defending Audi/Porsche/VW. It’s do or die for them - they won’t let it fail. In any case, regardless of one’s opinion regarding quality or long-term brand commitment under Chinese ownership, there will continue to be saber rattling between US and China on trade policy, and automotive lobbyists will be pushing congress hard for tariffs - both sides of the aisle will probably support that, and I’m sure S Korea will be more than happy with that situation for EV technology. Anyhooooo, RIP Fusilier. Too bad.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On the safety standards, it appears that the likes of BYD are pretty good.
The main issue seems to be a complete lack of accident repair panels and a very limited supply of parts.
BYD have a terrible record in AUS already... just look at how many people have their cars simple 'stop' right at intersections lately. A few have tried to return them... haha to them for buying 1st generation junk in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom