The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
@parb and @ECrider - exactly. The WHOLE geometry, I believe, stays intact - just up a bit. So no additional angle on the drive shaft. You can still pick up an inch of clearance that way without the drive shaft risk. If the extra clearance is really that important, probably the best solution. I think the martinis made you lucid and succinct, @ECrider
Going with modestly larger tires, assuming they don’t rub, would be the most reliable and safest way to gain some lift… all suspension geometry would remain at stock settings and not impacted. Anything up to say 1.5” taller (half this measurement for your actual lift) should not present any issue unless you go excessively wide at the same time. Done right the only penalties you’ll pay will be increased weight at each corner, slight speedometer error, the engine working a bit harder as the rolling circumference is larger which is sort of like having a taller gear ratio and finally a bit less fuel economy. Balanced against what you’ll gain off-road all perfectly acceptable compromises.

Last edited:
Local time
3:22 PM
Reaction score
Yeaaaaahhhhh - I heard him say that but kinda thought the same as @Logsplitter - and Ronny Dahl did have some rubbing that you could hear when he swapped tires.
a "35" is .5 to .75" more radius, but a 10-10.5 may be 2" narrower than a 12.5 (1" per side measured from the center line), and depending on what is being rubbed and when, your nominal 35 pizza cutter may do slightly better than your fattie 33.5. Thats why it's nice to know actual dimensions vs sidewall labeling. Kenda may not be my goto tire brand, but, if I can get a free 1" lift out of it, I bet it's good enough.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
a "35" is .5 to .75" more radius, but a 10-10.5 may be 2" narrower than a 12.5 (1" per side measured from the center line), and depending on what is being rubbed and when, your nominal 35 pizza cutter may do slightly better than your fattie 33.5. Thats why it's nice to know actual dimensions vs sidewall labeling. Kenda may not be my goto tire brand, but, if I can get a free 1" lift out of it, I bet it's good enough.
Oi vey - 12.5”???? A 285/75/17 is only 11.2” - I think that’s what Ronny Dahl was using and he got some rubbing. 12.5 would be “a gentleman of prosperous carriage”

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
From the TeraFlex website:
"The TeraFlex JK: Rzeppa High-Angle Factory Replacement CV Joint Kit replaces a worn or damaged factory Rzeppa CV joint and driveshaft without resorting to an expensive aftermarket U-joint upgrade. Allows angles up to 15 degrees. The high-angle CV housing reduces boot failure associated with 3" or more lift. The included low-friction grease is engineered specifically for the high RPM needs of the JK Rzeppa CV joint and features high-viscosity surface bonding characteristics necessary to properly adhere the grease to all moving surfaces."

This made me curious enough to attempt to measure the angles on my stock drivetrain with nonstock springs (Eibach 2.5 lift). I found it difficult to measure the angles and the numbers were much lower than I would have guessed by just looking at the angles. The numbers I measured below are the most conservative measurements I made (i.e. highest angle I measured) at each joint. For each measurement I attempted to measure both sides of the axle in an attempt to get a flat surface as a guide (i.e. the diff housing).

If my measurements are even close to correct, then we should easily be within the 15 degree allowance of the Teraflex unit. I wonder what the tolerances are for the stock unit?

I'm not sure if someone else who is more agile and perhaps has better tools to measure the angles can double check my measurements?

Here is what I found:

About 7 degrees
IMG_0338-X3.jpg

[Edit note: This is simply a photo so I would know what measurement I took, it is not me actually doing the measuring. When I had the protractor aligned to take the measurements it required both hands and at that point I had the center of the protractor alighted about even with where those screw heads meet the metal housing. I didn't have a third hand to help take a photo at that point.]

Front driveshaft where it connects to the center diff, about 6.5 degrees:
IMG_0343-X3.jpg

(sorry for the crappy photo)
IMG_0340-X3.jpg

Rear driveshaft where it connects to the center diff, about 3.5 degrees:
IMG_0350-X3.jpg

IMG_0351-X3.jpg

Rear driveshaft where it connects to the rear diff, about degrees also about 3.5 degrees:
IMG_0352-X3.jpg

As a side note I saw that the cooling fins on my transmission housing are caked in dried on mud, I guess I need to find a place where I can lift up my Grenadier and power wash the mud off, anyone happen to know such a place in the Phoenix Area? This was a very common service for car washes when I lived in Saudi.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
This made me curious enough to attempt to measure the angles on my stock drivetrain with nonstock springs (Eibach 2.5 lift). I found it difficult to measure the angles and the numbers were much lower than I would have guessed by just looking at the angles. The numbers I measured below are the most conservative measurements I made (i.e. highest angle I measured) at each joint. For each measurement I attempted to measure both sides of the axle in an attempt to get a flat surface as a guide (i.e. the diff housing).

If my measurements are even close to correct, then we should easily be within the 15 degree allowance of the Teraflex unit. I wonder what the tolerances are for the stock unit?

I'm not sure if someone else who is more agile and perhaps has better tools to measure the angles can double check my measurements?

Here is what I found:

About 7 degrees
IMG_0338-X3.jpg

[Edit note: This is simply a photo so I would know what measurement I took, it is not me actually doing the measuring. When I had the protractor aligned to take the measurements it required both hands and at that point I had the center of the protractor alighted about even with where those screw heads meet the metal housing. I didn't have a third hand to help take a photo at that point.]

IMG_0343-X3.jpg

IMG_0340-X3.jpg

IMG_0350-X3.jpg

IMG_0351-X3.jpg

Rear driveshaft where it connects to the rear diff, about degrees also about 3.5 degrees:
IMG_0352-X3.jpg

As a side note I saw that the cooling fins on my transmission housing are caked in dried on mud, I guess I need to find a place where I can lift up my Grenadier and power wash the mud off, anyone happen to know such a place in the Phoenix Area? This was a very common service for car washes when I lived in Saudi.

Here is what I found:

About 7 degrees
IMG_0338-X3.jpg

IMG_0343-X3.jpg

IMG_0340-X3.jpg

IMG_0350-X3.jpg

IMG_0351-X3.jpg

IMG_0352-X3.jpg

I grabbed a cheap mag base angle finder from Harbor Freight and attached it to the bottom side of the front driveshaft, in the middle. It showed right at -10. Of course it's not calibrated and that may not be the right way to check it, but that's what I did. Also have the 2.5 with stock 17" rims/tires. I'll compare next week after the Teraflex is installed.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
As a side note I saw that the cooling fins on my transmission housing are caked in dried on mud, I guess I need to find a place where I can lift up my Grenadier and power wash the mud off, anyone happen to know such a place in the Phoenix Area?
I just received a Ryobi 18v 320psi cordless power washer. Maybe worth a thought if you don't mind crouching down.

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score

Here is what I found:

About 7 degrees
IMG_0338-X3.jpg

IMG_0343-X3.jpg

IMG_0340-X3.jpg

IMG_0350-X3.jpg

IMG_0351-X3.jpg

IMG_0352-X3.jpg

Don’t forget there is a horizontal angle imparted on each joint (not just a vertical angle) as none of the major components are in a perfectly straight line down the length of the vehicle. Horizontal angles also contribute to the overall workload each CV joint has to do when spinning and transferring torque. Not something folks think about when lifting their vehicles as the more obvious concern is the vertical angle.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Don’t forget there is a horizontal angle imparted on each joint (not just a vertical angle) as none of the major components are in a perfectly straight line down the length of the vehicle. Horizontal angles also contribute to the overall workload each CV joint has to do when spinning and transferring torque. Not something folks think about when lifting their vehicles as the more obvious concern is the vertical angle.
It would be interesting to strap a GoPro on and watch what happens when flexed out

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
285/70/17 KM3's here. No rub.
That’s good to know. So just over an inch increased tyre diameter but to go to 35” without a suspension lift as some are suggesting seems a bit too much. IMG_2073.jpeg

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - that’s helpful. I guess that’s the plan for now, then, if people want a little more clearance without the risk of a drive shaft failure and warranty issues. It’s probably also worth noting that if you go to 285/70/17, you’re only picking up 1.1” of total tire diameter - just over 1/2” of additional clearance.

Are you running those on stock rims or did you get something with some offset?

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - that’s helpful. I guess that’s the plan for now, then, if people want a little more clearance without the risk of a drive shaft failure and warranty issues. It’s probably also worth noting that if you go to 285/70/17, you’re only picking up 1.1” of total tire diameter - just over 1/2” of additional clearance.

Are you running those on stock rims or did you get something with some offset?
Stock 17" steels. I bought a spare set off of spjnr on here. Kept my K02's for the alps. I do very much like the look of the bigger tyre and it's necessary for me to have m/t here as an awful lot of clay down here in Sussex and the K02's just slick up.

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've been considering going to this tyre size but on paper at 32.7" diameter the 285/70R17's are only +1.1" compared to the 31.6" diameter of the stock 265/70R17 tyres. As this only equates to a 0.55" lift (because the other half of the tyre is above the axle) I can't justify the ~£1,800 price tag for a set of 5 new tyres in my head. A true 34" tyre would be in the realm of 285/75R17 but numerous searches online have been fruitless - no one seems to offer a quality tyre at any size bigger than 285/70R17 in the UK. If anyone has managed to source a decent 34" tyre option in the UK I'd be keen to hear about it.

In the meantime it seems to me that adjusting the suspension components would be the easier option for increased ride height, if it wasn't for the drive shaft concerns. I think I'm going to sit this one out on the stock set up for a year and see what the after-market providers develop and the early adopters fail to break

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stock 17" steels. I bought a spare set off of spjnr on here. Kept my K02's for the alps. I do very much like the look of the bigger tyre and it's necessary for me to have m/t here as an awful lot of clay down here in Sussex and the K02's just slick up.
Hmm - probably better for the wheels/tires thread instead of driveshaft - but I was less than thrilled by the K02’s in snow/ice (had a couple of blizzards after I picked up the Grenadier this spring), so ordered Blizzak LT’s for when it gets really bad. Won’t put them on until November so don’t know how much it will improve performance.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:22 PM
Reaction score
Hmm - probably better for the wheels/tires thread instead of driveshaft - but I was less than thrilled by the K02’s in snow/ice (had a couple of blizzards after I picked up the Grenadier this spring), so ordered Blizzak LT’s for when it gets really bad. Won’t put them on until November so don’t know how much it will improve performance.
It will be interesting to see when reports come out on KM3 in snow and ice. They seem to have more sipes from the reviews I saw, making hopefully for a more compliant and flexible tread on ice and in snow. We shall see. Certainly they will never match a proper winter tire.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
I've been considering going to this tyre size but on paper at 32.7" diameter the 285/70R17's are only +1.1" compared to the 31.6" diameter of the stock 265/70R17 tyres. As this only equates to a 0.55" lift (because the other half of the tyre is above the axle) I can't justify the ~£1,800 price tag for a set of 5 new tyres in my head. A true 34" tyre would be in the realm of 285/75R17 but numerous searches online have been fruitless - no one seems to offer a quality tyre at any size bigger than 285/70R17 in the UK. If anyone has managed to source a decent 34" tyre option in the UK I'd be keen to hear about it.

In the meantime it seems to me that adjusting the suspension components would be the easier option for increased ride height, if it wasn't for the drive shaft concerns. I think I'm going to sit this one out on the stock set up for a year and see what the after-market providers develop and the early adopters fail to break

I seem to recall that some people were able to run the pizza cutters 255/85/17's without a lift and with no rub. That would be a 34.07" diameter tire.

Back
Top Bottom