The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
Have we confirmed that the teraflex CV’s will fit on to the IG shaft? And the axle flanges?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So question - presuming one DOESN’T do any lift, what size tires will fit without rubbing? And have we seen drive shaft failures when ONLY larger diameter tires were fitted, without a lift (other than the couple of stock failures)?
I'm a few martinis in so my thinking might not be spot on, I don't think by adding larger tyres you effect the drive line as simply raising the whole car as opposed to lift where moving parts away from the axles.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
I'm a few martinis in so my thinking might not be spot on, I don't think by adding larger tyres you effect the drive line as simply raising the whole car as opposed to lift where moving parts away from the axles.
this is exactly my thinking as well. the geometry between the axle and the body stays the same.

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
I agree with you Tazzieman and I respect those that take a conservative approach to their IG. Personally, I've enjoyed modifying my IG but I accept the risk without whining. Plus, I live 20 minutes from a dealer and Amazon can deliver a Teraflex CV to me in two days.
So when I am in Austin, it was 1 day to get it, only in Durango does it take multiple days, I am sure in Moab you could get one in Day via Amazon.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
this is exactly my thinking as well. the geometry between the axle and the body stays the same.
@parb and @ECrider - exactly. The WHOLE geometry, I believe, stays intact - just up a bit. So no additional angle on the drive shaft. You can still pick up an inch of clearance that way without the drive shaft risk. If the extra clearance is really that important, probably the best solution. I think the martinis made you lucid and succinct, @ECrider

Local time
Reaction score
Have we confirmed that the teraflex CV’s will fit on to the IG shaft? And the axle flanges?
yes, the one for the Jeep JL Teraflex 1745000. I've got one coming in and have talked to another owner that has one installed and has ~500 miles on it with no issues.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:04 PM
Reaction score
That’s fair enough if you’re prepared to take the financial risk. But I just don’t get it myself.
My recollection of the Ineos promotional videos and trips and photos before release is that they included many instances where the factory itself was using 35" tires, for example that big Africa trip they did. My understanding is that 35" tires will not fit without a lift. So I assume during those factory tests that Ineos had taller springs installed? Does anyone have any insight on that?

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
yes, the one for the Jeep JL Teraflex 1745000. I've got one coming in and have talked to another owner that has one installed and has ~500 miles on it with no issues.
Are we looking at that as just an easily obtainable road-side repair part? From the looks, it seems that the Teraflex would be subject to the same failures as the stock unit? Or am I missing some reason why its design is better than stock?

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So question - presuming one DOESN’T do any lift, what size tires will fit without rubbing? And have we seen drive shaft failures when ONLY larger diameter tires were fitted, without a lift (other than the couple of stock failures)?
There have been reported failures with the stock springs. I think there was at least one person earlier in this thread. I don't know if they had larger tires or not.

undert0e

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Are we looking at that as just an easily obtainable road-side repair part? From the looks, it seems that the Teraflex would be subject to the same failures as the stock unit? Or am I missing some reason why its design is better than stock?
From the TeraFlex website:
"The TeraFlex JK: Rzeppa High-Angle Factory Replacement CV Joint Kit replaces a worn or damaged factory Rzeppa CV joint and driveshaft without resorting to an expensive aftermarket U-joint upgrade. Allows angles up to 15 degrees. The high-angle CV housing reduces boot failure associated with 3" or more lift. The included low-friction grease is engineered specifically for the high RPM needs of the JK Rzeppa CV joint and features high-viscosity surface bonding characteristics necessary to properly adhere the grease to all moving surfaces."

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
There have been reported failures with the stock springs. I think there was at least one person earlier in this thread. I don't know if they had larger tires or not.
I believe this was a c clip failure, not a boot failure.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe this was a c clip failure, not a boot failure

I think it was @Logsplitter - who was running stock suspension and tires? I can’t remember

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My recollection of the Ineos promotional videos and trips and photos before release is that they included many instances where the factory itself was using 35" tires, for example that big Africa trip they did. My understanding is that 35" tires will not fit without a lift. So I assume during those factory tests that Ineos had taller springs installed? Does anyone have any insight on that?
The Ineos Kavango Safari vehicle is running 34” The Ineos guys were very secretive or just plain didn’t know what has been done to suspension or running gear when I asked at the Game Fair UK.
First two pictures are from the game fair and second two from Ineos dealer in Gabarone ,I think that one is on 35” tyres. My guess is they have spacers on the springs 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_3564.jpeg
    IMG_3564.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3563.jpeg
    IMG_3563.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6651.jpeg
    IMG_6651.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6648.jpeg
    IMG_6648.jpeg