The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
A Warranty claim?:unsure:
No, he was charged a crazy number to tow his vehicle to a Grenadier dealer. He had to pay upfront then they sent out the tow truck. He was talking to tow driver/owner of business and they discussed the price. The tow truck driver said he charged considerably less so in reality the ineos associated tow service made a large chunk of money to tow the vehicle.

Reactions: Max

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:21 PM
Reaction score
At this point, I think it’s important to note, we rank first in mushroom production.
Kennett Square - mushroom gangsters. A valuable contribution to the drive shaft dialogue. Thank you for pointing it out @Zimm. Next time maybe a couple more F bombs or something. It’s illegal in Wisconsin. “Geez Louise” is as far as we can go. Unless we’re talking about Illinois or the Bears. Then the rules are different.

Shroomy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So after I got off of work yesterday I figured I should give the CV boot an inspection on the front drive shaft after reading though this thread. This is what I found now after only driving about 200 miles since I installed the Eibach lift Part # E30-34-001-06-22 and 35"/12.5/R17 Toyo tires. Caster settings were adjusted down to 1.5degrees as recommended from the 2 nominal, but this still wasn't enough apparently to prevent CV boot failure. See pictures belowIMG_7406.jpg
IMG_7408.jpgIMG_7409.jpgIMG_7410.jpg

AWo

Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
Caster settings were adjusted down to 1.5degrees as recommended from the 2 nominal, but this still wasn't enough apparently to prevent CV boot failure.
What is the relation between the caster setting and the prop shaft? Or do you refer to the position of the axle (beeing rotated back after the lift)? if the axle is rotated back only the joint to the axle is affected, not the one to the gearbox.

AWo

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
What is the relation between the caster setting and the prop shaft? Or do you refer to the position of the axle (beeing rotated back after the lift)? if the axle is rotated back only the joint to the axle is affected, not the one to the gearbox.

AWo
A half degree change in caster setting of the front axle yields "stuff all" (technical term) theoretical compensation for significant driveline geometry displacement resulting from a 35- 50mm? spring lift.... it's the way it is;) If it were possible to get sufficient negative caster to fully compensate for the driveline geometry change, the vehicle would be almost impossible to steer due to constant "death wobble". Further, you'd still have cv boot/joint failure at the tf case end of the shaft because the tf case is in a "higher plane" and out of line with the front axle diff....
Back to the drawing board....

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So after I got off of work yesterday I figured I should give the CV boot an inspection on the front drive shaft after reading though this thread. This is what I found now after only driving about 200 miles since I installed the Eibach lift Part # E30-34-001-06-22 and 35"/12.5/R17 Toyo tires. Caster settings were adjusted down to 1.5degrees as recommended from the 2 nominal, but this still wasn't enough apparently to prevent CV boot failure. See pictures belowView attachment 7868360
View attachment 7868361View attachment 7868362View attachment 7868363
Were any of those 200 miles off road, or was that all on-road? What a bummer - sorry it happened, but thanks for the pictures. Textbook.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Kennett Square - mushroom gangsters. A valuable contribution to the drive shaft dialogue. Thank you for pointing it out @Zimm. Next time maybe a couple more F bombs or something. It’s illegal in Wisconsin. “Geez Louise” is as far as we can go. Unless we’re talking about Illinois or the Bears. Then the rules are different.
Let's be honest, Pittsburgh might as well be located in Wisconsin, relative to Kennett Square - I mean, there's at least a 3-hour portion of the drive through (what those of us from South East PA call) Pennsyl-tucky separating the two places (no offense to anyone from the great state of Kentucky). I don't want to speak for @Zimm , but he probably meant to mention that PA is home to the best and oldest US brewery (Yuengling), the world's greatest guitar builders of all-time (C.F. Martin & Company), the nations favorite gas station/hoagiefest (Wawa), and the best university (Penn State University - We are! @Krabby) - note, none of which are considered Western PA nor WI institutions.

Now that I've set that record straight, back to broken front drive shafts!

Allrad-Oli

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
.....that's really shocking to read about the problems. 👉That's exactly why I've so far decided against a simple lift.

In my opinion, the angle of attack of the front cardan shaft is already too large in the standard state, i.e. a design fault!

Strictly speaking, the front shaft output on the transfer case should be lower in order to have an approximate angle of 0° when stationary. It looks like the ‘axle’ and ‘gearbox’ design departments have not worked well together here and the quality control department has either failed or been ordered to keep quiet! I don't know of any other fast-moving vehicle with the corresponding cardan shaft speeds with such extreme angles in series production. Has anyone ever noticed that the rear cardan shaft has a lateral offset, that is also strange (probably not a problem), but it reinforces my impression that something had to be finished here very quickly 🏁, in the sense: (well, whether that's a good thing???):eek:

Local time
Reaction score
Pennsyl-tucky
LOL.. SE Pa... hahahaha .... :ROFLMAO: you sound like a realtor trying hard not to let on it's all just PHILADELPHIA. I'm my tenure at PSU, everyone from 'Jersey avoiding Rutgers was from "Just outside NYC", and Phili people weren't from Phili. It was KoP or West Chester. The following sentence will stand as an unassailable retort/mike drop...

You now live in .... West Virginia.

:p

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
Replying to a YT comment , he replied "around 2k at present".
Convert to Aussies $, add postage and import tax and it's a bit pricey. At present.
Go to Hardy Spicer or Driveline Services they will be in a position to make custom shafts in Australia with the same components without having to import from the US from a middle reseller. Once a made and works ok it will be recorded on a national data base for any branch to make. We have done it for years this way and can also have upgraded slip joints fitted.

Take note of the warranty terms. There may be no warranty from the drive shaft company for certain operating conditions.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
So after I got off of work yesterday I figured I should give the CV boot an inspection on the front drive shaft after reading though this thread. This is what I found now after only driving about 200 miles since I installed the Eibach lift Part # E30-34-001-06-22 and 35"/12.5/R17 Toyo tires. Caster settings were adjusted down to 1.5degrees as recommended from the 2 nominal, but this still wasn't enough apparently to prevent CV boot failure. See pictures below
Zoiks...

Ya know, that's a really short boot too, forcing all the flex into one ring. I wonder if a longer boot with more rings could be fitted.

Local time
Reaction score
Go to Hardy Spicer or Driveline Services they will be in a position to make custom shafts in Australia with the same components without having to import from the US from a middle seller. Once a made and works ok it will be recorded on a national data base for any branch to make. We have done it for years this way for years and can have upgraded slip joints fitted.
And with craptastic exchange rate (well, good for us), you could ship them to the US cheaper than we can make them.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Let's be honest, Pittsburgh might as well be located in Wisconsin, relative to Kennett Square - I mean, there's at least a 3-hour portion of the drive through (what those of us from South East PA call) Pennsyl-tucky separating the two places (no offense to anyone from the great state of Kentucky). I don't want to speak for @Zimm , but he probably meant to mention that PA is home to the best and oldest US brewery (Yuengling), the world's greatest guitar builders of all-time (C.F. Martin & Company), the nations favorite gas station/hoagiefest (Wawa), and the best university (Penn State University - We are! @Krabby) - note, none of which are considered Western PA nor WI institutions.

Now that I've set that record straight, back to broken front drive shafts!
I think there are psychotropic spores growing with all those mushrooms, because you are clearly as high as a kite

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
LOL.. SE Pa... hahahaha .... :ROFLMAO: you sound like a realtor trying hard not to let on it's all just PHILADELPHIA. I'm my tenure at PSU, everyone from 'Jersey avoiding Rutgers was from "Just outside NYC", and Phili people weren't from Phili. It was KoP or West Chester. The following sentence will stand as an unassailable retort/mike drop...

You now live in .... West Virginia.

:p
I think it’s still too soon for Penn State to try any kind of power flex. You guys are still in the Sandusky penalty box.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
.....that's really shocking to read about the problems. 👉That's exactly why I've so far decided against a simple lift.

In my opinion, the angle of attack of the front cardan shaft is already too large in the standard state, i.e. a design fault!

Strictly speaking, the front shaft output on the transfer case should be lower in order to have an approximate angle of 0° when stationary. It looks like the ‘axle’ and ‘gearbox’ design departments have not worked well together here and the quality control department has either failed or been ordered to keep quiet! I don't know of any other fast-moving vehicle with the corresponding cardan shaft speeds with such extreme angles in series production. Has anyone ever noticed that the rear cardan shaft has a lateral offset, that is also strange (probably not a problem), but it reinforces my impression that something had to be finished here very quickly 🏁, in the sense: (well, whether that's a good thing???):eek:
Hello, your concerns come late 😉. It's no use to us to say that a shaft that doesn't rotate and drive axially isn't optimal. The question is why it fails. Whether with or without a lift. Logsplitter didn't have a lift, but drove a lot off-road. When I look at my shaft, and I have a 2" lift, the angle of the joints isn't that much different than in the standard version.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Hello, your concerns come late 😉. It's no use to us to say that a shaft that doesn't rotate and drive axially isn't optimal. The question is why it fails. Whether with or without a lift. Logsplitter didn't have a lift, but drove a lot off-road. When I look at my shaft, and I have a 2" lift, the angle of the joints isn't that much different than in the standard version.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think there are psychotropic spores growing with all those mushrooms, because you are clearly as high as a kite
Can we just pause for a moment to acknowledge the fact that the 2 most German states in the US are getting in a pissing match over who has better beer? I’ll see your Yuengling and raise you a Spotted Cow.

Local time
Reaction score
Can we just pause for a moment to acknowledge the fact that the 2 most German states in the US are getting in a pissing match over who has better beer? I’ll see your Yuengling and raise you a Spotted Cow.
Well, to be frank, the czech pilsner is the best, not a lager. I think Yeungling smells weird. It comes freshly skunked. I drink modello, pacifico, and czechvar.

Back
Top Bottom