The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
..also man sieht als "Blinder mit Krückstock", daß dieser Knickwinkel einfach zu viel ist. Die Kugeln im Inneren müssen mit extrem hoher Geschwindigkeit bei jeder Umdrehung in Ihrer Laufbahn hin und her wandern. Wenn ein gewisser Antriebsdruck seitlich dazukommt ist schon die Reibungswärme enorm und damit der thermische Tod des Gummis vorhersehbar. Ich denke es ist ein Problem bei höheren und konstanten Geschwindigkeiten, eher nicht bei langsamen Fahren im Gelände? Interessant wäre eine Wärmebildaufnahme ?
Thermal imaging would be very interesting.

Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
..also man sieht als "Blinder mit Krückstock", daß dieser Knickwinkel einfach zu viel ist. Die Kugeln im Inneren müssen mit extrem hoher Geschwindigkeit bei jeder Umdrehung in Ihrer Laufbahn hin und her wandern. Wenn ein gewisser Antriebsdruck seitlich dazukommt ist schon die Reibungswärme enorm und damit der thermische Tod des Gummis vorhersehbar. Ich denke es ist ein Problem bei höheren und konstanten Geschwindigkeiten, eher nicht bei langsamen Fahren im Gelände? Interessant wäre eine Wärmebildaufnahme ?
I agree on all counts.

Local time
Reaction score
The angle doesn’t look as sever as the cv structures inability to accommodate it.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
What about the pliability of the boot material? The bellows over the slip joint seem to be the same material and feel like they might split if I squeezed them hard, unlike old school rubber. (Which admittedly is not perfect) .
I'll be regularly keeping an eye on the integrity of these bits.

Local time
4:40 AM
Reaction score
hm. Any particular make of axle? I've done this on swb trucks like a lifted fj 40, and never had an issue. It's a common work around for excessive lifts to put a double cardan at the tcase and "cut and turn" the axle so the pinion points directly at it.
This is a starting range for a universal joint or cv to work in. If a shaft is straight with no angle the uj will tend to brinell the bearing due to the lack of movement in the joint. This is also within the best angle range for durability.
I have had the same success with driveline mods in 4x4s and trucks but also had a couple that had not failed but were not reliable and needed to either increase or decrease engine, transmission angles and use different length radius rods to change pinion angles.

Local time
4:40 AM
Reaction score
Thermal imaging would be very interesting.
We use thermal imaging company for similar issues in equipment. Their camera is around $50k with very clear images taken from long range. We have a cheap Flir unit that is good for most field jobs, images are grainy and only has a short range. After a multimeter, thermal imaging is one of the best generic electronic diagnostic tools available.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We use thermal imaging company for similar issues in equipment. Their camera is around $50k with very clear images taken from long range. We have a cheap Flir unit that is good for most field jobs, images are grainy and only has a short range. After a multimeter, thermal imaging is one of the best generic electronic diagnostic tools available.
We use the FLIR in electronic design to find oscillation in circuitry. Tends to make things hot when they happen, even on integrated digital circuits.

Powers

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
Update on my IG that was towed from Nebraska to Colorado Springs.
Red Nolan Ineos has confirmed that Ineos will warranty all of the parts to replace the pinion seal and driveshaft. They are not admitting that it is strictly and Ineos issue, they stand by the statement that the Eibach springs will leave you vulnerable to this issue. Their engineers have decided they'd like to have all the parts to help them understand more about how this happened.
Eibach has replied to my email about the situation saying, "We have sold hundreds of these kits and we have also done numerous installs on vehicles that have been driven hard on-road and off-road and we haven't seen any failures."
I do plan to get the OEM driveshaft installed by Red Nolan, that way I can drive the IG back home. Once home I'll replace that with either the double cardan that's been posted or a different custom shaft. Then I'll have a spare incase of another emergency situation.

Local time
Reaction score
Red Nolan Ineos has confirmed that Ineos will warranty all of the parts to replace the pinion seal and driveshaft. They are not admitting that it is strictly and Ineos issue, they stand by the statement that the Eibach springs will leave you vulnerable to this issue. Their engineers have decided they'd like to have all the parts to help them understand more about how this happened.
Eibach has replied to my email about the situation saying, "We have sold hundreds of these kits and we have also done numerous installs on vehicles that have been driven hard on-road and off-road and we haven't seen any failures."
I do plan to get the OEM driveshaft installed by Red Nolan, that way I can drive the IG back home. Once home I'll replace that with either the double cardan that's been posted or a different custom shaft. Then I'll have a spare incase of another emergency situation.
Too bad you gave them the shaft. Ive bent enough keep a spare when convenient.

undert0e

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have been struggling with whether or not to have the Eibach 2.5 springs installed due to driveline issues reported here and on FB owners groups. I reached out to RN yesterday ( that’s where I picked up my IG) and was told if there was a driveline failure and the 2.5s were installed it would NOT be covered by warranty.

Fast forward to me seeing your post about them covering it and my head started to spin. So I called and talked to RN again. They informed me that @Powers is being warrantied by Ineos to try and identify what is going on and what caused the failure.

Just an FYI….The rest of us are probably going to be SOL as it pertains to a driveline warranty claim with a lift installed.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just an FYI….The rest of us are probably going to be SOL as it pertains to a driveline warranty claim with a lift installed.
As would be expected with any warranty claim on a failed part due to an aftermarket part being installed on any vehicle

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
What about the pliability of the boot material? The bellows over the slip joint seem to be the same material and feel like they might split if I squeezed them hard, unlike old school rubber. (Which admittedly is not perfect) .
I'll be regularly keeping an eye on the integrity of these bits.

Or maybe the boot should be fitted over the entire CV - not tucked inside? I realize that would leave the boot exposed to abrasion from road debris but it wouldn't be in danger of getting pinched when the CV angles are at their maximum. Just spitballing.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
I have been struggling with whether or not to have the Eibach 2.5 springs installed due to driveline issues reported here and on FB owners groups. I reached out to RN yesterday ( that’s where I picked up my IG) and was told if there was a driveline failure and the 2.5s were installed it would NOT be covered by warranty.

Fast forward to me seeing your post about them covering it and my head started to spin. So I called and talked to RN again. They informed me that @Powers is being warrantied by Ineos to try and identify what is going on and what caused the failure.

Which of the 2,435 meanings for this acronym SOL are you referring to, please?

Migs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
anyone know the price on a new OEM driveshaft?
has there been a timeline on when the double cardan one is going to be available (sorry if i missed it, just haven't seen any mention of timeline for production)?

Back
Top Bottom