The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
As I just mentioned in another propshaft thread, I popped in to a shaft manufacturer today, they measured up and are getting back to me with prices on a custom shaft.
Cost is likely to be £500-800 for a double cardan type. Possibly less for a wide angle CV type.

Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
As I just mentioned in another propshaft thread, I popped in to a shaft manufacturer today, they measured up and are getting back to me with prices on a custom shaft.
Cost is likely to be £500-800 for a double cardan type. Possibly less for a wide angle CV type.
yea, from previous personal debacles I was guessing my local shop was gonna bang me for about a 1G usd to fab it up. I have a few dc's laying here from some toyota trucks, but I think I may as well flip for new stuff after tossing this much money at it already. Why stop the bleeding now?

Shroomy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
Following along as I am now lifted with 35"s and waiting for the aftermarket to find the right solution on these front drive shafts. I know its a time bomb at this point.
IMG_7367.jpg

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
Following along as I am now lifted with 35"s and waiting for the aftermarket to find the right solution on these front drive shafts. I know its a time bomb at this point.
View attachment 7868274
You might not have too much to fear.
Looking at the failures posted on here there appears to be two ways your drive shaft is likely to fail on your grenadier. One is the catastrophic failure caused by the circlip slipping off the splined shaft inside the CV, this appears to be a manufacturing fault and will lead to an immediate catastrophic failure.
Two is that the rubber boot or gaiter fails due to the extreme angle, all the grease comes out and dirt gets in and the joint rapidly wears out.
Number two is highly likely with your rig. Number one is probably unlikely.

You could check for number one (the bad one) by removing the shaft and having a look inside.

Nadir5

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:31 PM
Reaction score
You might not have too much to fear.
Looking at the failures posted on here there appears to be two ways your drive shaft is likely to fail on your grenadier. One is the catastrophic failure caused by the circlip slipping off the splined shaft inside the CV, this appears to be a manufacturing fault and will lead to an immediate catastrophic failure.
Two is that the rubber boot or gaiter fails due to the extreme angle, all the grease comes out and dirt gets in and the joint rapidly wears out.
Number two is highly likely with your rig. Number one is probably unlikely.

You could check for number one (the bad one) by removing the shaft and having a look inside.
...and it seems that regular inspection of the boot will (hopefully) prevent #1 from becoming a major failure.

Local time
Reaction score
.... or maybe we skip the next piece of overpriced stamped tin molly bullshit making your rig look more and more like a well adorned jeep, and get something useful to driving offroad... like a ahhh... driveshaft that doesn't need to be pin straight!

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
.... or maybe we skip the next piece of overpriced stamped tin molly bullshit making your rig look more and more like a well adorned jeep, and get something useful to driving offroad... like a ahhh... driveshaft that doesn't need to be pin straight!
Wisconsin - “Pennsylvania, yeah, that’s the state with all the MEAN Germans and Poles. Can I get you some more cheese curds?”

Pennsylvania- “it’s a COMMONWEALTH you fat f****ng mouth-breathing dairy farmers.”

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
There is only the one prototype that @Bodhi’s Grenadier posted, I don't believe he posted pricing information or when/if it would be produced
Replying to a YT comment , he replied "around 2k at present".
Convert to Aussies $, add postage and import tax and it's a bit pricey. At present.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Convert to Aussies $, add postage and import tax and it's a bit pricey. At present.
Yeah - but probably fair for the build. Watch his YT posts - he’s not convinced this is the final design I think. The soul of a perfectionist - love it

Local time
3:31 PM
Reaction score
There is no perfect off road truck out of the box. Anything you need to lift and put larger tires on really creates a new set of issues that need to be addressed. My Bronco has 35” tires and front and rear lockers from the factory so I didn’t need a lift or a regear but its weak spot is the factory tie rods and rack. $1,500 makes that fairly built proof or $5k for an unbreakable Weld74 rack.

A proper front driveshaft isn’t a difficult swap on the Grenadier. I’m more concerned with needing to regear for 35” tires. If that’s the case then the needed improvements are going to get costly.

Local time
Reaction score
Wisconsin - “Pennsylvania, yeah, that’s the state with all the MEAN Germans and Poles. Can I get you some more cheese curds?”

Pennsylvania- “it’s a COMMONWEALTH you fat f****ng mouth-breathing dairy farmers.”
At this point, I think it’s important to note, we rank first in mushroom production.

Local time
Reaction score
I don’t think I’d worry about it. While the Ozzie’s just aren’t big enough to support being the home of major industries, I notice when it comes to aftermarket innovation and improvement, the place cranks out excellent products, at a value price. Frankly, if I was to go the mail order bride route, I think I’d wait for the better cheaper oz solution to surface.

I bet these shafts are a 100% net markup.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
I don’t think I’d worry about it. While the Ozzie’s just aren’t big enough to support being the home of major industries, I notice when it comes to aftermarket innovation and improvement, the place cranks out excellent innovative products, at a value price. Frankly, if I was to go the mail order bride route, I think I’d wait for the better cheaper oz solution to surface.
It's apparent the Oz lift option is only 40mm, perhaps reducing the risk of trouble compared to thoes in NA. Then again , who knows?

Back
Top Bottom