The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Hi @Outlander ive just had the same problem when the rear Cardan joint in the front prop shaft snapped but unfortunately this caused the prop shaft to smash into the gearbox causing untold damage to the gearbox and loss of transmission oil.
Sheesh that's terribly bad luck.
Another reason I'm glad to have installed the transmission protector shield. I thought I only had to worry about logs and rocks.

pete54

GG-2562
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score
@Logsplitter I hope you’re sorted quickly and looked after properly by your dealer and Ineos. You have probably done more for this vehicle than anyone else on this forum (with a few notable runners up!) - with any luck this is a limited problem and you are swiftly back on the road. Or off the road. Keep us informed (as you will). Keep the faith!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Logsplitter I hope you’re sorted quickly and looked after properly by your dealer and Ineos. You have probably done more for this vehicle than anyone else on this forum (with a few notable runners up!) - with any luck this is a limited problem and you are swiftly back on the road. Or off the road. Keep us informed (as you will). Keep the faith!
I’m hoping a new prop shaft/cardan joint and a new transmission sump pan along with some transmission oil will do the trick. It will be Monday morning before the vehicle is inspected and full damage discovered. The prop shaft has been knocked about a bit so I’m not sure what other damage has been caused. I’ll let you all know when I know. IMG_3738.jpeg

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Another reason I'm glad to have installed the transmission protector shield. I thought I only had to worry about logs and rocks.
You‘re right- that really is a good argument for a transmission protector. Never would have thought about that reason without this bad luck from Logsplitter…..

GavinD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I had a similar/same issue yesterday (Sunday) in the hunter valley NSW, doing around 30-40km/hr on a dirt road, massive bang and turning thudding noise. My Ineos did have the transfer case recall and it was replaced at 15k service. Tow truck to Gosford dealer, waiting to see what they say.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 4.50.57 pm.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 4.50.57 pm.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 127

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I had a similar/same issue yesterday (Sunday) in the hunter valley NSW, doing around 30-40km/hr on a dirt road, massive bang and turning thudding noise. My Ineos did have the transfer case recall and it was replaced at 15k service. Tow truck to Gosford dealer, waiting to see what they say.
Ineos may have a problem here as it’s the fourth one I’ve heard of. Hopefully new prop shafts are in stock in Australia. Hope you get a quick fix and this doesn’t ruin your journey too much.
Hopefully not damaged anything else as with mine getting the gearbox oil is an issue, all parts in and awaiting fitting but gearbox oil not in stock from the supplier.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One Swallow doesn't make a summer, but a few do. Sorry to hear of your woes GavinD and echo Logsplitter's comments re hope get quick fix asap.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos may have a problem here as it’s the fourth one I’ve heard of. Hopefully new prop shafts are in stock in Australia. Hope you get a quick fix and this doesn’t ruin your journey too much.
Hopefully not damaged anything else as with mine getting the gearbox oil is an issue, all parts in and awaiting fitting but gearbox oil not in stock from the supplier.
There has been three cases reported on here as far as I can see. @Outlander, @Logsplitter and @GavinD. You know about another one @Logsplitter?
Are you waiting for transfer case oil, Fuchs Titan Sintopoid 75W-90?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
No doubt there are more failures unreported..
So we are all playing the waiting game. Even for those without the lift.
Make sure you know how to disconnect the front bolts so you can get home if it happens remotely.

Local time
Reaction score
What is common all the failures have been at the transfer case cv joint. Possibly not a direct drive shaft or cv fault but a driveline angle issue that is compounded by normal movements of the engine and transmission mounting and front axle. The other issue is the slip joint is not free enough or binding in one location causing excessive load on the retaining circlip in the CV every time the prop shaft extends.

Last edited:

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What is common all the failures have been at the transfer case cv joint. Possibly not a direct drive shaft or cv fault but a driveline angle issue that is compounded by normal movements of the engine and transmission mounting and front axle. The other issue is the slip joint is not free enough or binding in one location causing excessive load on the retaining circlip in the CV every time the prop shaft extends.
Agreed, my money would be on a stiff slip jointt.

Local time
9:09 PM
Reaction score
I'll be checking the compatibility this weekend. My front driveshaft is already removed(failed Rzeppa) and the girlfriend has the Hi angle Rzeppa installed (by me, couple years back) on her Jeep. So I can at least take measurements with some calipers. fingers crossed!
What did you find?

Local time
8:09 PM
Reaction score
didn't fit, the Jeep one is too small. I just emailed Teraflex and asked if they could come up with one for the Grenadier. I'll post their response.
quick response from Teraflex.
"Unfortunately, we do not have a design for that model of vehicle and will not be manufacturing one."
Disappointing.

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Tazzieman…..I believe you are right that a good shield also could help in such a a
Case. Maybe it even „guids“ the shaft in a way…. See below what I mean. IMG_5261.jpeg

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you notice if it made noise before breaking?

Back
Top Bottom