The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
It's parallel to the road in stock form to maintain enough caster at the steering knuckles to help keep the steering stable. To raise the pinion any higher would push the caster to near zero degrees or worse into the negative range making the Grenadiers already somewhat vague steering even worse. To raise the pinion and maintain enough caster angle the axle would have to be modified and the steering knuckles orientation changed relative to the pinion to keep all the alignment geometry correct. But in theory I agree, it seems like Ineos could have given the pinion a slightly higher angle and orientated the steering knuckles with slightly more negative caster to compensate thus keeping everything in check.
That's with the current design, but if the axle had been designed with the diff exit tilted up, then all the other connections to the axle could have maintained their current geometry. My point being, the current design seems like a lousy design. Of course I'm not an engineer and have no expertise in this field, so my opinion is worthless, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion.

I think others said the clearance isn't there with the oil pan to have implemented my solution, so that may have required the oil pan to also need a design change, which probably would have knock-on design changes to other components.

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
That's with the current design, but if the axle had been designed with the diff exit tilted up, then all the other connections to the axle could have maintained their current geometry. My point being, the current design seems like a lousy design. Of course I'm not an engineer and have no expertise in this field, so my opinion is worthless, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion.

I think others said the clearance isn't there with the oil pan to have implemented my solution, so that may have required the oil pan to also need a design change, which probably would have knock-on design changes to other components.
Exactly, there would be other elements requiring changes to lift the pinion and is probably the reason why Ineos compromised as they did and we’ve ended up with the stock geometry we have.

Add to it the press is still beating the “steering is horrible” drum so I could see the engineers change or tweak some parts for newer production models front end geometry but I doubt anything would be done for existing owners.

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:40 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried the Teraflex CV replacement, 175000 I saw it was drop in replacement from Align, https://teraflex.com/jl-jt-factory-replacement-cv-joint-kit-high-angle-rzeppa.html

just saw this after posting "I'd like to share valuable information about front drive shafts: the Jeep Wrangler JL/JT front Rzeppa CV joint is a direct replacement for the Grenadier front drive shaft CV joint. I plan to install and test it on my Grenadier to confirm fit and function, even though I've had no issues with my front drive shaft. Let me know if you have any questions."

Photo Bellow are from Agle Offroad, to show the install and what version he was using.
458732523_8640536659311413_2432825934444237846_n.jpg458641898_8640537022644710_4474612952968817890_n.jpg458694083_8640536615978084_7962401241181382957_n.jpg

Last edited:

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried the Teraflex CV replacement, 175000 I saw it was drop in replacement from Align, https://teraflex.com/jl-jt-factory-replacement-cv-joint-kit-high-angle-rzeppa.html

just saw this after posting "I'd like to share valuable information about front drive shafts: the Jeep Wrangler JL/JT front Rzeppa CV joint is a direct replacement for the Grenadier front drive shaft CV joint. I plan to install and test it on my Grenadier to confirm fit and function, even though I've had no issues with my front drive shaft. Let me know if you have any questions."View attachment 7870191View attachment 7870192View attachment 7870193
You grab these pictures from John Brindell's install at Agile Offroad?

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
You grab these pictures from John Brindell's install at Agile Offroad?
Yes since people had not seen, I now have one on Order now.

I sent note to John last night asking the flange was different. From John Brindell "Gregory Stoner it appears to be identical to the INEOS part"

Make me wonder if Teraflex is soucing these. now if we can find the source we not have to pay the markup, they are $189 at Teraflex, on sale on Amazon right now $161 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKKD9BJ4?tag=globalgrena0b-20

there are multiple model on Teraflex site the correct Part Number is 1745000 is the one that been tested. I going to keep spare in my kit.

Last edited:
Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
Seriously though. This all goes back 6 months to the castor discussion. We knew then the axle was designed odd considering it utilized cv’s. The solution is two dc joints. I suspect they will sell well.

It’s only one of the half baked design choices on this truck, but, the truck was never intended to rock crawl and this is solvable if you want a lift. Hell, a well designed lift with shocks for increased droop and adjustable arms still hasn’t hit the market, and that typically entails drive shaft mods anyway. I feel much worse for people having Hvac issues.

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Seriously though. This all goes back 6 months to the castor discussion. We knew then the axle was designed odd considering it utilized cv’s. The solution is two dc joints. I suspect they will sell well.

It’s only one of the half baked design choices on this truck, but, the truck was never intended to rock crawl and this is solvable if you want a lift. Hell, a well designed lift with shocks for increased droop and adjustable arms still hasn’t hit the market, and that typically entails drive shaft mods anyway. I feel much worse for people having Hvac issues.
Yep, On Caster, Metalcloak is comming out new control arms that are adjustable. FJ80 also had issue when lifted. I think you see once more truck are on the road we see more vendors will show up to solve few of these issues.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:40 AM
Reaction score
Why do all this whilst it’s under warranty and risk voiding the warranty. For me with world travel as the main reason I purchased the Grenadier, my mantra is keep it simple and as close to stock as possible. Sourcing parts that match aftermarket upgrades when half way around the world would be problematic

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Why do all this whilst it’s under warranty and risk voiding the warranty. For me with world travel as the main reason I purchased the Grenadier, my mantra is keep it simple and as close to stock as possible. Sourcing parts that match aftermarket upgrades when half way around the world would be problematic
I just looking at having Trail spare ( the CV) with me when I am running around Moab and Southern Colorado as precaution, like you I am not put new springs on the truck and waiting until my K02 wear out before I put new tire on the truck. But I blow through the warranty period pretty quick with kind a driving I do here in the states.

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Curious if a driveshaft rebalance would be needed after switching out the stock CV joints to the Teraflex ones? But if it’s only a spare for a trailside repair at least it would get you home.

Back
Top Bottom