The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary battery

Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know little about electronics. So, what comes with the auxiliary battery, and why would I want an auxiliary battery? Thanks in advance for your help.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:34 PM
Reaction score
A simple easy solution to solar charging until my wife ran over the solar panel 😡. connected directly to the jump start post under the bonnet. 100 watt suitcase style solar panel with inbuilt mppt controller. I’ve got two now which is more than enough to run my fridge ,lights and equipment charging

Dual Battery system or no? So there's really no need for the Ctek D250 or will the jump start post only charge to the main starting battery?

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
A simple easy solution to solar charging until my wife ran over the solar panel 😡. connected directly to the jump start post under the bonnet. 100 watt suitcase style solar panel with inbuilt mppt controller. I’ve got two now which is more than enough to run my fridge ,lights and equipment chargingView attachment 7818267View attachment 7818268
Do you think these panels could have a connector spliced into the wiring to connect to the exterior power outlets on the roof hand holds? That would be convenient and put them up high and out of the way. Thanks.

Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dual Battery system or no? So there's really no need for the Ctek D250 or will the jump start post only charge to the main starting battery?
The CTEK charger should see that the main battery's voltage has increased above the "start charging" set point, and after some amount of time will close the relay and start charging the aux. battery. Depending on the actual state of charge of the main battery and aux battery, this may only last a few moments before the relay re-opens because the main battery's voltage drops. Eventually, with enough time and enough sunlight, it could charge the aux battery as well.
Do you think these panels could have a connector spliced into the wiring to connect to the exterior power outlets on the roof hand holds? That would be convenient and put them up high and out of the way. Thanks.
They could, assuming the charge controller was also external to the vehicle (or connected to the panel directly). This would also require the assumption that there are no diodes or other wiring that would prevent bi-directional current through the roof switch system to the aux. battery.

Vote:
Upvote 0

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:34 PM
Reaction score
The CTEK charger should see that the main battery's voltage has increased above the "start charging" set point, and after some amount of time will close the relay and start charging the aux. battery. Depending on the actual state of charge of the main battery and aux battery, this may only last a few moments before the relay re-opens because the main battery's voltage drops. Eventually, with enough time and enough sunlight, it could charge the aux battery as well.

I think you're referring to the CTEK Smartpass120 and it's ability to wrangle both batteries. The external charge source (solar or AC device) doesn't have the capacity to sense multiple batteries via a single connection point - or am I wrong? Also, I see your point that with a constant drain on the main battery from various onboard electronics, its state of charge or discharge varies moment to moment. It would take a while to get (and keep) it above the preset threshold point before the second battery gets a significant amount of input. I'm assuming that the set points are determined by Ctek rather than Ineos or else the Smartpass would be a bespoke model in some way.

Seems @Logsplitter replied here --> Battery charging thread

Reactions: PBD
Vote:
Upvote 0

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can run accessories off the aux battery when the car is off? Which power outlets continue to have power for example overnight if you're camping. My car should arrive in the next week or two and I want to wire up power to my roof top tent for overnight and want it to have power when the car is off/locked. I saw that there is a battery on switch on the roof panel?
Thanks!
Yes you can. If the accessories are wired through the aux power switches. The switches can be turned on and off when the car is off. You must have chosen the aux power option for this.

For other accessories it depends on how they are wired into the aux battery - but most (like 99.9%) would be wired so they can be turned on when the car is off.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

FilipV

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
if its for camping and general purpose i would add a Ecoflow Delta Max 2 = LiFePO4 version with much more cycles that the previous generation technology.
add perhaps a solar panel if you don't drive a lot. charging in the car can over the 12V aux output Powers all kind of things, from 12V devices, computers over fridges, coffee machines, even small induction plates for cooking. It can be easily moved to different cars and camping situations. There are bigger versions with even bigger invertor and capacity, but all depends on budget and needs.

Reactions: PBD
Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think you're referring to the CTEK Smartpass120 and it's ability to wrangle both batteries. The external charge source (solar or AC device) doesn't have the capacity to sense multiple batteries via a single connection point - or am I wrong? Also, I see your point that with a constant drain on the main battery from various onboard electronics, its state of charge or discharge varies moment to moment. It would take a while to get (and keep) it above the preset threshold point before the second battery gets a significant amount of input. I'm assuming that the set points are determined by Ctek rather than Ineos or else the Smartpass would be a bespoke model in some way.

Seems @Logsplitter replied here --> Battery charging thread
Correct, the solar charge controller (connected to the jump start post) has no idea whether it is charging 1 battery or 10. All it knows is that it is providing voltage/current as it believes it needs to. If the factory CTEK DC-DC charger senses that the main battery is at a high enough voltage (because it cannot judge state of charge, only voltage) and closes the relay to start charging the aux battery, then the solar charge controller will effectively see a voltage drop on the "battery" that it is hooked to (because now there is an increased load on the main battery). Having this sort of periodically opening/closing relay (to charge the aux battery) isn't exactly ideal when you have an inconsistent power source (solar), but works great if you have consistent power (like an AC-DC charger). I have done the latter on several previous builds to ensure the aux (and subsequently the main) batteries were at 100% SoC while parked in my driveway for several days and leaving everything turned on (fridge on, charging devices, weboost, etc)

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score

They could, assuming the charge controller was also external to the vehicle (or connected to the panel directly). This would also require the assumption that there are no diodes or other wiring that would prevent bi-directional current through the roof switch system to the aux. battery.
I have to ask, how can we verify this can be done? The current owners manual is limited on this type capability.

Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have to ask, how can we verify this can be done? The current owners manual is limited on this type capability.
Those of us in the US have plenty of time to worry about it later...

For the RoW, I would recommend waiting until wiring diagrams are available... Or, for those who are rather bold, give it a try and see what happens (this is not my recommendation).

With all that being said, the small solar charge controllers that come with many of these portable panels are far from great (and often PWM not MPPT). So it would probably be notably more advantageous to run the solar in through the same grommet as the roof outlet wiring, but run it to a name brand MPPT solar charge controller mounted in the interior and wired directly to the aux battery

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
I'll be running lights and a 45L fridge/freezer which all up consumes on avg 40Ahrs/24hrs. The supplied 105Ah auxiliary EFB battery is nowhere near sufficient to run this without mothering so will remove it (& possibly the Smartpass) and install a 200Ah 12V slimline lithium battery on top of the rear drawer system, along with a Victron BT Smart 12/30A DC-DC charger which allows for preferred custom settings for lithium & Bluetooth control. The 200Ah (20kg) lithium is equivalent to around 320Ah (~90kgs) of lead acid deep cycle batteries. This may seem overkill but 200Ah covers for multiple overcast days when camped - fridge is mission critical. Will likely fit a 2000w inverter as well to run an induction cooker and small expresso coffee machine.
I carry a 5kg 200W AllPowers solar blanket which is used when camped up for a few days. It'll connect via Anderson plug to a 20A BT Smart MPPT Victron controller at the lithium battery. The 30A DC-DC charger will keep the lithium battery happy when on the go.

Attachments

• IMG_20230704_111356.jpg
    IMG_20230704_111356.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 28
Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
Vote:
Upvote 0

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
Vote:
Upvote 0

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After reading through the content of this thread I am still not sure how the exact wiring of the aux battery is. I have my car with the aux battery and would like to know how it exactly behaves.
Would like to collect some facts:
- Aux battery is decoupled from the starter motor
- Aux battery can support main battery
- Aux battery is powering some car systems
- CTEK is in between main and aux battery

Open questions:
- Specific behavior of CTEK?
- Which systems are powered by the aux battery?
- How are both batteries charged?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After reading through the content of this thread I am still not sure how the exact wiring of the aux battery is. I have my car with the aux battery and would like to know how it exactly behaves.

Open questions:
On my two seat utility the smartpass is connected between the two batteries this allows charging of both batteries with the alternator. As delivered nothing is connected to the auxiliary battery although i have connected my ARB fridge to the smart pass which will take power from the auxiliary battery.
I contacted CTEK yesterday and they confirmed attaching a smart charger or solar charger with inbuilt mppt controller to the jump start post under the bonnet would allow both batteries to be charged via the smartpass. My understanding is that the auxiliary battery will support the starter battery for starting if starter battery is depleted IMG_1634.jpeg

Vote:
Upvote 0

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As delivered nothing is connected to the auxiliary battery although i have connected my ARB fridge to the smart pass which will take power from the auxiliary battery.
Does this mean you fridge would deplete first the starter battery and then cut it off. However I you would try to start the aux batter would still be there as a back-up?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does this mean you fridge would deplete first the starter battery and then cut it off. However I you would try to start the aux batter would still be there as a back-up?
My understanding is that the smartpass will cut the power to any loads connected to the auxiliary battery when the voltage drops below a certain level so maintaining enough power to help the starter battery if needed. I don’t have the smartpass manual with me so can’t check at what level it cuts off. I’ve got a pdf copy but can’t check till later. If you connect loads directly to the auxiliary battery instead of via the smartpass then you have no such protection.

Vote:
Upvote 0

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is that the smartpass will cut the power to any loads connected to the auxiliary battery when the voltage drops below a certain level so maintaining enough power to help the starter battery if needed. I don’t have the smartpass manual with me so can’t check at what level it cuts off. I’ve got a pdf copy but can’t check till later. If you connect loads directly to the auxiliary battery instead of via the smartpass then you have no such protection.
In your photo above is your fridge connected, just trying to fathom the connections?

Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Open questions:
You really can't beat lifting the seats and just looking at the wiring - follow it from the positive terminal and see where it goes. Any information gained this way will probably stay with you far longer than just reading about it. Having said that, reading the Smartpass manual is also very useful, although I do struggle with the pictures indicating the various lights and what they mean when lit/flashing.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom