The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary battery

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know little about electronics. So, what comes with the auxiliary battery, and why would I want an auxiliary battery? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:08 PM
Reaction score
In

Kept closed in a climate controlled lab at 25C. 😉 It'd be at least double that in the field in summer.
In your field. Which fortunately isn't mine!

Vote:
Upvote 0

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In

Kept closed in a climate controlled lab at 25C. 😉 It'd be at least double that in the field in summer.
Well I won’t argue the actual numbers because I don’t have a proof point. However I do know that in my previous vehicle with an an Optima yellow top deep cycle battery well under 105Ah I could run my Bushman for about 2 days in hot temperatures fairly easily. I really don’t expect much more than that from any dual battery system without running the car or topping up with solar. Depends of course what else you are running but I don’t run an inverter or induction hotplates or appliances etc when I am camping. I do sometimes run some low draw led lights but usually they run from my camper battery

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
Does the IG come with an Anderson plug somewhere externally?

I don’t tow, but really liked having this on the old 110 with my dual battery setup as it allowed me to make a long extension lead and run it to tents etc., and also this is where I would connect a battery charger too when parked up in the garage for a while.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I don’t tow, but really liked having this on the old 110 with my dual battery setup as it allowed me to make a long extension lead and run it to tents etc., and also this is where I would connect a battery charger too when parked up in the garage for a while.
No Anderson plugs.... it will need to be a DIY mod.

Vote:
Upvote 0

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Depending in your spec it has a NATO style plug on the back and I have made up an adapter to Anderson, however apparently it isn’t live all the time. Rumours that a software change may fix but otherwise may need to bypass the relay to make it permanently live.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
Thanks. Trialmaster, so I believe that’s all the internal electrical toys/ options ticked? Not sure what a NATO plug is but not fussy about shape, only timing/flavour of the electricity supplied. Will keep an eye out for mods which enable 👍🏼

Vote:
Upvote 0

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
Thanks. Trialmaster, so I believe that’s all the internal electrical toys/ options ticked? Not sure what a NATO plug is but not fussy about shape, only timing/flavour of the electricity supplied. Will keep an eye out for mods which enable 👍🏼
5C55B30E-217E-43CC-82CB-F9B19335B992.jpeg

That is one.. certified for 12V or 24v and up to 1000A. Grenadier specified afaik (not verified). 12V 400A

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
Lead acid batteries of course have a cycle life depending on how deeply discharged they are. You often read caravaners saying 'I get 3 - 4 days no problem' but the batteries are being discharged to 10.5-11.0V. If regularly taken below 12.2V (50%) you reduce cycle life by about two thirds and you're replacing batteries every few years. Optimal cycle life is staying above 70% state of charge but typically not practical so 50% is a good compromise. A good system should be designed around that.

Attachments

• H_Battery.jpg
    H_Battery.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Fullriver DC.jpg
    Fullriver DC.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom