The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who regrets their decision?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
I know Scotland pretty well and rather than the prescribed NC500 as created by someone in the Scottish government in order to increase tourism but without first ensuring that the route could cope with the traffic...
I'm glad you said that.

NC500 is picking up a certain reputation and I've read a few articles about the locals on parts not taking kindly to some of the traffic types it seems to attract.

If you've the time, pouring over a few paper maps (best accompanied with a glass of your favourite tipple) and looking for the small roads that take you in the general direction you want to travel can be part of the adventure as well.

I can't recall the exact name of the vehicle ferry ticket we bought - I want to say an island hopper - but it allows an excellent tour up the Western isles.

Edit: It may have been one of these 'Hopscotch tickets' - which don't exist anymore apparently. 😔

But plenty of ideas here

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
I'm glad you said that.
If you've the time, pouring over a few paper maps (best accompanied with a glass of your favourite tipple) and looking for the small roads that take you in the general direction you want to travel can be part of the adventure as well.
funny you say that. That’s exactly what we do when planning our remote Outback trips, and it’s led us to some amazing places and landscapes.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And it gets you through the dark winter nights planning the next summer's trip. 👌

Mussels

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Living on the NC500 I can confirm that DCPU is correct, as usual! People don’t fully realise that part of the route is single track with passing places. Lots of folk hire camper vans and motor homes without any particular experience of driving them. Others hire sports cars and there is either a convoy of slow motor homes or (old) boy racers driving poorly. Timber and fish lorries coming towards you can be a problem - they won’t be backing up!

There is not really the infrastructure to accommodate this visitor influx during the summer months. Pulling off the road to take photos isn’t an option on most of the route and accommodation and eating outlets are limited. Finding a public convenience on the route is one of the main problems, don’t ask me to explain ‘dirty camping’.

Cheshire Cat‘s suggestion of being based near Inverness is good. Allow 30 miles per hour progress over the day. The most scenic coast is the West Coast but beware that midges can be a nightmare. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Mussels

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Do we think that DCPU stands for Double Cab Pick Up?

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Living on the NC500 I can confirm that DCPU is correct, as usual! People don’t fully realise that part of the route is single track with passing places. Lots of folk hire camper vans and motor homes without any particular experience of driving them. Others hire sports cars and there is either a convoy of slow motor homes or (old) boy racers driving poorly. Timber and fish lorries coming towards you can be a problem - they won’t be backing up!

There is not really the infrastructure to accommodate this visitor influx during the summer months. Pulling off the road to take photos isn’t an option on most of the route and accommodation and eating outlets are limited. Finding a public convenience on the route is one of the main problems, don’t ask me to explain ‘dirty camping’.

Cheshire Cat‘s suggestion of being based near Inverness is good. Allow 30 miles per hour progress over the day. The most scenic coast is the West Coast but beware that midges can be a nightmare. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
What time of the year do the Midgies stop..... or dont they?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just go up and visit @DaveB during the summer mate - you'll get used to midges, mozzies and sandflies real quick. ;) :LOL:
You can never get used to them up there - it is like a locust plague; you can see them and breathe them in they are that thick! My local area is just as bad - but chemicals fight them off!!!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You can never get used to them up there - it is like a locust plague; you can see them and breathe them in they are that thick! My local area is just as bad - but chemicals fight them off!!!
We spray Bushman's or our friend Mitchy's Itchys when outside.
Means we don't have to worry about sunscreen.
Plus Mitchy's is based on coconut oil so my skin is so soft and smooth.
Ceiling fans or windy days drive them away, as do citronella candles.
They also can't fly up to higher levels so no issue on the second floor
Honestly the small issues don't even come close to negating the positives of living here.
Same as when we lived in Tasmania and the cold winters were ok because the island was just so fantastic.

1694427305928.png
1694427351628.png

1694427791878.png

1694427821840.png

1694427875996.png
1694427913944.png

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Which decision are we onto now?
I would like to chime in but need to know which one to decide upon.
Just go to bed you old fool.
Or put another log on the fire
pour a scotch or port.
put the feet up and enjoy the beautiful place you live while you wait for your Grenadier to arrive.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Just go to bed you old fool.
Or put another log on the fire
pour a scotch or port.
put the feet up and enjoy the beautiful place you live while you wait for your Grenadier to arrive.
Well I've decided it's not cold enough for a fire...and I'm not an early to bed type. And port is for old men. And I don't drink scotch.
But I do have the option of putting my feet up , even though I don't have swollen legs.
And another day of waiting to add to the 670+ so far won't kill me 😜
In the meantime I can waste my life here like the rest of you old fools 😁

Back
Top Bottom