The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What did you do with your Grenadier today?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
My afternoon has been ruined. Driving on an A road just outside Poole about 35mph in a 40mph limit and an almighty bang. Stopped the Grenadier got out and Transmission oil everywhere and no drive. Now waiting for the AA 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
My afternoon has been ruined. Driving on an A road just outside Poole about 35mph in a 40mph limit and an almighty bang. Stopped the Grenadier got out and Transmission oil everywhere and no drive. Now waiting for the AA 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Oh dear, that sounds nasty and not a quick or easy fix buddy. Keep us informed

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The annoying thing is I’ve told the AA that it can’t be repaired by the roadside but they insist on sending a technician first to assess then they will arrange recovery and a courtesy car. The technician will be with me in three hours 😳🤬🤬🤬

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The annoying thing is I’ve told the AA that it can’t be repaired by the roadside but they insist on sending a technician first to assess then they will arrange recovery and a courtesy car. The technician will be with me in three hours 😳🤬🤬🤬
What a wild system you guys have over there... Here, other than a jump start, adding fuel, or putting on the spare tyre; nothing is done at the roadside.

Hoping the technician arrives ahead of schedule for you!

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That is crap news.
If it has shit all of its transmission fluid then just turning the neutral bolt to disengage the gearbox still wont allow the car to tow as when you start the car it won't stay in neutral.
When I cracked the sump this happened to me after it was loaded onto the flat bed, i.e could tow on but not off!
We needed to disengage the rear prop to be able to roll off the flat bed.
Might be worth checking if it will still select and stay in neutral?
I'm in North Hampshire and would drive down but I'm not sure there is much that can be done beyond recovery as towing would be problematic.
DM me if I can help in any way.
Good luck.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. I don’t think it’s just the oil as I had an almighty bang that certainly made me jump and shook me up a bit. I’ll mention about disconnecting prop shafts to the recovery driver whenever that may be.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
It is frustrating indeed when "service providers" don't listen and believe "users". My workshop was like that till some months ago. Now I have a technician as "dedicated" contact. (y)

It remembers me one of my similar experiences in a hospital like 20 years ago ...

Me: (with horrible pains): Doctor, I have an obstruction of the intestine
Doctor (in disbelief): you can not know that, we will take a radiography.
Me: hurry up, I will need surgery ...
after the radiography, the doctor came back ...
Doctor: you have an obstruction of the intestine, you need surgery. :eek:

It was my third time, I knew :mad:

I hope for you it gets sorted out ASAP, but it looks like you will have no Grenadier for some weeks! :mad:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well the AA technician has been and just left and it turns out the Cardan joint on the front prop shaft has snapped in half and the prop shaft has smashed into the gearbox. Hence the loud bang. 😳🤬🤬IMG_3732.jpeg

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
What a wild system you guys have over there... Here, other than a jump start, adding fuel, or putting on the spare tyre; nothing is done at the roadside.

Hoping the technician arrives ahead of schedule for you!

It’s good it it’s own way, as in if you have a very inexperienced driver, the recovery crews can get you going by clearing faults etc or even replacing a very basic part.

But the stupity is, that they will INSIST on sending a technician first to see if a vehicle can be fixed even when you are telling them the vehicle is FUBAR and needs a full lift.

Unfortunately for poor old @Logsplitter he has managed to time it with a Friday afternoon when it’s a real busy time and the dealer will be shut tomorrow so it will be Monday morning (at the earliest) before someone in the know looks at it.

If my memory serves me right, it’s not long since it was serviced, so all the oils would have been changed then, well hopefully changed and not just emptied. 😳

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well the AA technician has been and just left and it turns out the Cardan joint on the front prop shaft has snapped in half and the prop shaft has smashed into the gearbox. Hence the loud bang. 😳🤬🤬View attachment 7866966
ok that is a step forward for sure. nice to know what it was for you.

sorry it seems like im polishing a turd.

good luck pal in having Liberty back asap

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
On a positive note because the front prop shaft is in two pieces and the gearbox probably in many pieces the vehicle does roll with the handbrake off. 😎
Just for info who makes those cardan joints.

Is it Dana

There was a list floating round on the forum very recently

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh no- I hope nothing broke or cracked…..although this „bang“ sounds like that it is not just a drain….good luck

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So a well known and respected brand of cardan joints and prop shafts. 🤔

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well the AA technician has been and just left and it turns out the Cardan joint on the front prop shaft has snapped in half and the prop shaft has smashed into the gearbox. Hence the loud bang. 😳🤬🤬View attachment 7866966
Hm- wasn‘t there the same case just a fee weeks ago with somebody on vacation? With the same topic? Will try to find that note…..

Back
Top Bottom