The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What did you do with your Grenadier today?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
Hm- wasn‘t there the same case just a fee weeks ago with somebody on vacation? With the same topic? Will try to find that note…..
There was one in February:

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

That was exactly what I had in mind…… thanks Jean

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score

The thing from that thread that jumped off the page was the possibility of a seized transfer box. That would create a big bang as that snaps the prop shaft.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
I found that thread. It was a circlip issue I
think
Yes. Justin Hocevar spoke about that shaft at a subsequent owner's night. The circlip had come out which allowed the couplings to separate. It could have been reassembled but they swapped out the shaft instead to get the vehicle going again.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes. Justin Hocevar spoke about that shaft at a subsequent owner's night. The circlip had come out which allowed the couplings to separate. It could have been reassembled but they swapped out the shaft instead to get the vehicle going again.
" circlip had come out"
Anyone ask why or how?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not that I can recall, but it was presented as an assembly error.
I guess we have to wait and see if ours was a Monday morning or Friday afternoon vehicle!!
And having just dropped underneath for a look , the protection plate I've installed wouldn't prevent a flailing shaft from cracking the side base of the trans sump, though it is pretty thick at that point..

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OUTBACK SHAKE DOWN CHANGES – ROUND 2
ABNTR4X4 Rock sliders refined
A metallic noise/rattle/squeak developed about one week after the installation of the rock sliders. Luckily before I went on my Outback trip.

The sliders were attached using plates secured by bolts; some bolts were fitted through a drill hole, others through a slot in the metal plate (to allow adjustments). The bolts through the slots were trying to pull the washers through the slot, so the washer became cupped letting the rock slider move.

After the initial install the mechanic had commented the bolts should be longer. After discussing the noise problem with the mechanic, I bought longer high tensile bolts (replacing the OEM galvanized bolts) and large square washers that were also thicker than the OEM washers. After jumping up and down on the sliders after the refit, the mechanic found there was still some noise. On closer inspection there were screws in the body work exposed after the trim was removed to fit the sliders. So metal was still rubbing on metal. The mechanic adjusted the position of the sliders away from the exposed screw heads.

Everything has worked well since the changes and no more issues arose in the Outback trip.

ABNTR4X4 rock sliders are great, but they needed some refinement for Australia (at least for my purposes). First, longer 50mm high tensile bolts. Second, larger and thicker square washers and lastly adjusting the sliders to avoid touching the screws exposed after the trim was removed (you could cut these screws off, but that was not my preferred option).

IMG_9028.jpg
IMG_9019.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg

XHQ Molle Panels refinements – when fitted with 30l diesel tanks
When travelling on intense corrugations the XHQ Molle Panels were being vibrated, creating an annoying noise when the tanks were filled with diesel. The corrugations created a wave vibration in the Molle panel you could see in the rearview mirror. It looked like Rolf Harris was using it as a wobble board!

Additionally, two of the four washers down on the L track attachment points were not sitting flat over the Molle panel slot (sound familiar?). One washer had dug into the side of the slot on the Molle panel. I upgraded the L track bolts from M8 bolts to M10 bolts. I also used bigger and thicker washers. The upgrade has fixed the noise around the city, but no testing on corrugations so far.

IMG_9288.jpg

Rear Bracket – passenger’s side
My dual air compressor was attached to an ORS custom bracket on the driver’s side. I decided to get a matching bracket on the passenger’s side. ORS made the bracket and covered it in marine carpet. This allows me to use canvas bags with a carpet grabber to configure what to store on the bracket.

The bracket also creates a storage area between the bracket and the rear window for storage.

Below are images of the new bracket and the carpet grabber bags I have on order. These can be easily reconfigured depending on my needs.

I also reconfigured the driver’s side storage area with my AED device, new First Aid Kit and a storage bag. The distance between the windows and brackets is slightly different between the two sides - because the plastic wheel arch trim on each side. The AED and First Aid Kit were a better fit on the driver's side (RHD)..

IMG_9291.jpg
1723941602431.png
IMG_9294.jpg

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

NotHerDecision

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
Picked up our Grenny from Red Nolan and went to Pikes Peak! Hitting some other trails before heading back to Texas. We upgraded the leather interior and installed new 285/70/17 KO3’s

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0332.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 13

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I installed the high current adaptor for my Garmin Tread 8" to the INT2 in the passenger footwell. Connected with Deutsch plugs. I didn't manage to remove the upper panel in to footwell, so the cable is not completely hidden...

Any hints how to remove the upper side panel? As much as I saw I have to remove the panel at the seat to rech the screw. Requires removing the side panel to remove the seat?

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
Well the AA technician has been and just left and it turns out the Cardan joint on the front prop shaft has snapped in half and the prop shaft has smashed into the gearbox. Hence the loud bang. 😳🤬🤬View attachment 7866966
Sorry for your troubles my friend . Hope INEOS sorts this out really fast for you . If i am not mistaken this is the third joint failure we know about . There might be something that needs investigating here , recall on the horizon ?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles my friend . Hope INEOS sorts this out really fast for you . If i am not mistaken this is the third joint failure we know about . There might be something that needs investigating here , recall on the horizon ?
Well if I was Ineos I would be all over this like a rash! Luckily for me it happened on a 40mph stretch of A road. Most of my intended journey that day was on 70mph route, M27, M3 and A34. If this would have happened at 70 on a middle or outside lane then the results could have been catastrophic ! Even if there were no injuries or deaths then the cleanup bill would be huge and potentially a shut motorway whilst the oil was cleared up. I called the local council to come to the site of my breakdown to deal with the oil spill as a real hazard for motorcycles and bicycles.
I will be phoning Harwoods tomorrow am for an update.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well if I was Ineos I would be all over this like a rash! Luckily for me it happened on a 40mph stretch of A road. Most of my intended journey that day was on 70mph route, M27, M3 and A34. If this would have happened at 70 on a middle or outside lane then the results could have been catastrophic ! Even if there were no injuries or deaths then the cleanup bill would be huge and potentially a shut motorway whilst the oil was cleared up. I called the local council to come to the site of my breakdown to deal with the oil spill as a real hazard for motorcycles and bicycles.
I will be phoning Harwoods tomorrow am for an update.
It is a bit unnerving to be honest. I would be very interested in what INEOS says , not the dealer . Because as you said is quite the safety concern.
A spectacularly catastrophic failure like this is something that needs investigating . I am glad you guys are all ok .
Keep us updated , and since we have a pattern now it will be difficult for them to brush it off .

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
I installed the high current adaptor for my Garmin Tread 8" to the INT2 in the passenger footwell. Connected with Deutsch plugs. I didn't manage to remove the upper panel in to footwell, so the cable is not completely hidden...

Any hints how to remove the upper side panel? As much as I saw I have to remove the panel at the seat to rech the screw. Requires removing the side panel to remove the seat?
You look for this ?

Back
Top Bottom