The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What did you do with your Grenadier today?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:46 PM
Reaction score
All ready for a weekend away with the van ; LHS airbag not inflating normally.
Rear spring has come off the axle perch and is jammed onto it. Tried to free it before work ; no luck. Airbag hissing a bit :(.
Not sure if it was a bad install (not by me) or I've dislocated it offroad.
Ordered a new airbag as there's no point in taking it to the installer and finding it's worse than just a split top hose.
Edit:
It's all fixed. Managed to get the installer to put it up on the hoist this afternoon.
They had to remove the shockie and spring to inspect the bag ; the hard line was kinked and split but repairable.
Lesson learned : do not put more than 5psi in the bags (Originally I was told keep 10 in...) when going offroading when there may be significant suspension flex. The bag will prevent the spring extending, and in my case it looks like it has spun around and unable to reseat itself.
So if you have a trailer, deflate when not towing and if there is likelihood of a large flex.

PS I reckon I've driven on it "injured" the past week , including some light offroad, and even maybe some heavier trail stuff last week..
Luckily no major drama!

Attachments

• 20240816_092706.jpg
    20240816_092706.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • 20240816_092712.jpg
    20240816_092712.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All ready for a weekend away with the van ; LHS airbag not inflating normally.
Rear spring has come off the axle perch and is jammed onto it. Tried to free it before work ; no luck. Airbag hissing a bit :(.
Not sure if it was a bad install (not by me) or I've dislocated it offroad.
Ordered a new airbag as there's no point in taking it to the installer and finding it's worse than just a split top hose.
I also had a problem with my new airbags. Got no reading on the pressure gauge RHS and could not inflate or deflate the bag. Eventually removed the valve stem and manage to deflate by rocking the vehicle. Installer is on the other side of town but will stop by on my next run that way for them to check it out.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:46 AM
Reaction score
I also had a problem with my new airbags. Got no reading on the pressure gauge RHS and could not inflate or deflate the bag. Eventually removed the valve stem and manage to deflate by rocking the vehicle. Installer is on the other side of town but will stop by on my next run that way for them to check it out.
Oh this is not boding well! I’ve ordered the same airbags as @Tazzieman.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. So in in hind-site although I’ve ordered them they may not be right for my use case as I like to take off road routes on my travels even though fully loaded. Uprated springs may be the answer for me.
In that situation , if you are loaded up, the pressure means it's very unlikely the spring could come off ( is what I was told.)
I guess it depends upon how loaded up and how aggressive the driving is.
If you're not really loaded up you don't need the airbags!
IMO (and others will have their's) the airbags are there to keep the vehicle at normal ride height and thus allow control/safety at speed on the bitumen.
When offroading with a trailer you are travelling slowly , and porpoising and swaying aren't such a big deal.
I have an offroad van, and will just deflate the bags if there is a serious flexy situation.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. So in in hind-site although I’ve ordered them they may not be right for my use case as I like to take off road routes on my travels even though fully loaded. Uprated springs may be the answer for me.
Uprated springs are definitely the way to go but they are expensive - AUD 1,000 per pair. Airbags are the less costly alternative and they do have a warranty so don't be too concerned. I've had airbags in the back of my Disco for many years without a problem.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
A source for those please. They would be very helpful

Back
Top Bottom