The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What did you do with your Grenadier today?

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
I put some self iluminating stickers on the switches - makes it easier to see/remember the functions 😂😂👍
View attachment 7866953
Do tell where you got them please!
The thing from that thread that jumped off the page was the possibility of a seized transfer box. That would create a big bang as that snaps the prop shaft.
I'm thinking this issue could be initiated by a low /dry fluid level in the transfer case? My front seal is being replaced at the moment. My independent mechanic identified the issue and I had ~5k miles with 99.9% on asphalt. Poor quality manufacturing in my opinion. Ineos would not authorize a complete replacement of box - only replacement/repair of seals. Perhaps that is better ???
Welcome all feedback as I am learning! Being a vet, i know leaky vessels result in bad things in the pet.
Cheers!

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score
@Barney Thanks, but this only shows the lower panels...

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No, @Jean Mercier I meant the upper side panel of the centre console in the passenger footwell.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No, @Jean Mercier I meant the upper side panel of the centre console in the passenger footwell.
If you mean this:

It comes from the post of @MattG here:

You can see two red screws, but there are also two other ones I think at the lower side.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_1814.jpeg

Only the marked side panel…

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7867109

Only the marked side panel…
I don't think I removed it already, perhaps somebody else, but perhaps this picture can help:

There you will see that you probably have to remove first the panel from which I posted the picture in #4503 (half an hour ago), and then the side panel under the panel you want to remove (the picture I referenced to here above) to be able to access some screws, and then I think it is just "unclipping".

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do tell where you got them please!

I'm thinking this issue could be initiated by a low /dry fluid level in the transfer case? My front seal is being replaced at the moment. My independent mechanic identified the issue and I had ~5k miles with 99.9% on asphalt. Poor quality manufacturing in my opinion. Ineos would not authorize a complete replacement of box - only replacement/repair of seals. Perhaps that is better ???
Welcome all feedback as I am learning! Being a vet, i know leaky vessels result in bad things in the pet.
Cheers!
Aliexpress 😉👍 2 Euro or so.

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
In anticipation of the imminent deliveries, what did you do with your Grenadier this weekend?

Tell the community and share the love, and pictures, lots of pictures.

This thread will remain locked until the first member tells me they have taken delivery.
Went to Hollister and had an absolute blast. The car is a mechanical miracle.

Attachments

• IMG_6126.jpeg
    IMG_6126.jpeg
    632.4 KB · Views: 52

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
Went for a timber trail run with the Land Rover Club I am a member of...all dirt roads, easy to medium difficulty with the odd slide due to wet greasy surfaces but in all no big mishaps...17 vehicles in all and considering the 7 hours and over 300klm we escaped with one puncture...first stop a Fire Lookout Tower[154 ft]at Jimna Southeast Queensland, then a lunch stop at an old sawmill, Elginvale Mill which is being preserved and Heritage listed with a caretaker onsite...it simple appears that it was tools down and each tool as band with a punched number on it...fantastic. The rest of the afternoon was traveling to the Brisbane River headwaters and 48 crossings later arrive in the country township of Linville, then home...brilliant (y)

The Defender in front of my Grenadier at the Fire Tower has the BMW turbo diesel ZF gearbox conversion and goes hard💪
The old Leyland with solid rubber tyres just sitting there still badged up...love it:love:

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
  • Sawmill.jpg
    Sawmill.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Fire tower.jpg
    Fire tower.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • Leyland.jpg
    Leyland.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 56

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
Well if I was Ineos I would be all over this like a rash! Luckily for me it happened on a 40mph stretch of A road. Most of my intended journey that day was on 70mph route, M27, M3 and A34. If this would have happened at 70 on a middle or outside lane then the results could have been catastrophic ! Even if there were no injuries or deaths then the cleanup bill would be huge and potentially a shut motorway whilst the oil was cleared up. I called the local council to come to the site of my breakdown to deal with the oil spill as a real hazard for motorcycles and bicycles.
I will be phoning Harwoods tomorrow am for an update.
I phone the dealer and my understanding is that the clip that holds the cardan joint in place onto the prop shaft has failed in some fashion. This caused the prop shaft to separate then the prop shaft to hit the oil cooler pipes so oil pumped out via those pipes. Thankfully no damage to gearbox is evident.
One to watch though and hopefully an isolated incident.
I think it’s a great vehicle but I’m in for the infamous distinction of the most recoveries soon. 😂
Harwoods are on the case and Parts have been ordered so hopefully sorted soon. 👍🏼😎

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I phone the dealer and my understanding is that the clip that holds the cardan joint in place onto the prop shaft has failed in some fashion. This caused the prop shaft to separate then the prop shaft to hit the oil cooler pipes so oil pumped out via those pipes. Thankfully no damage to gearbox is evident.
I think it’s a great vehicle but I’m in for the infamous distinction of the most recoveries soon. 😂
Harwoods are on the case and Parts have been ordered so hopefully sorted soon. 👍🏼😎

So, that seems to be at least the second "clip" problem, see edit 3 of @Outlander in this post:

And congratulations for your "infamous distinction" (y) , I am not jealous :ROFLMAO:
Anyway, good luck with the repair! :)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
good luck @Logsplitter will be interesting to hear final thoughts from Harwoods on said clip failure once Liberty is all sorted and back on the road. Will be interesting to see what the Almont underbody protection protects around there once fitted.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
Drove about 1.5hrs from home to near the edge of the southwest wilderness part of Tasmania.
The Florentine Vally - the exact area the last ever Tasmanian tiger was trapped in the 1930s.
Walked to a reasonably obscure waterfall , then decided to have a crack at the much harder graded upper falls route. This has been badly affected by fallen trees (giant eucalypts amidst temperate rainforest) in recent decades and after a tedious joint-busting slippery muddy slog uphill and cross creek , eventually gave up - probably 90% there , but it was cold and getting dark, track had disappeared ; we weren't prepared for getting lost nor a bivouac with no means of communication - forgot the Zoleo , doh!

Attachments

• 20240819_130854.jpg
    20240819_130854.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20240819_130025.jpg
    20240819_130025.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20240819_134319.jpg
    20240819_134319.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 20240819_135520.jpg
    20240819_135520.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 38

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
good luck @Logsplitter will be interesting to hear final thoughts from Harwoods on said clip failure once Liberty is all sorted and back on the road. Will be interesting to see what the Almont underbody protection protects around there once fitted.
Yes I’m thinking protection for the oil cooler lines is a must now 🤔.

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for update.
As said before it will be interesting if there is any outturn from the circlip failure.
Would be interested to know if there is any check that could be done before venturing on a trip where this sort of failure would be problematic.
I would happily get the clip replaced for peace of mind (irrespective of warranty) if there was any doubt.
Good luck in getting your Grenadier back and it is in the best place with Sean and Stephen at Portsmouth.
Please keep us up to date with any recommendations.
Thanks

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for update.
As said before it will be interesting if there is any outturn from the circlip failure.
Would be interested to know if there is any check that could be done before venturing on a trip where this sort of failure would be problematic.
I would happily get the clip replaced for peace of mind (irrespective of warranty) if there was any doubt.
Good luck in getting your Grenadier back and it is in the best place with Sean and Stephen at Portsmouth.
Please keep us up to date with any recommendations.
Thanks
Agreed they are a great team. I need to get a better understanding of what exactly failed and whether it’s a manufacturing/component fault or an installation fault

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
It is a somewhat concerning failure.
It's either an installation issue or a weakness of the part. Or both. We need to know!

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I’m thinking protection for the oil cooler lines is a must now 🤔.
Having just fitted the Almont underbody protection I have just had a closer look as to whether they might shield the transmission oil lines.
Whilst I think they offer the sump protection by stopping the prop flail towards it, I am not sure they will have any shielding effect on the oil lines.
I am presuming the oil line cut is the one directly above the prop highlighted red.

1724065094678.png

Back
Top Bottom