The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

tyre rotation

Wile E Coyote

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
I had a damaged rim which I replaced with the spare. I had the rim fixed and now use it as the spare. I did no reset and didn't change the valves. The wheel speed sensors help to work out where the wheels are as far as I can tell.
All tyre pressures are correctly displayed at the correct corners.
Everyone is underestimating the car, it does have a brain after all! 😁

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
I have done two complete 5 tyre rotations in 25,000km and displayed locations have been wrong since the first roatation at 10,000km. I have had the dealer in Canberra "try" to reset them to correct positions, but after two attempts they said it can't be done! I suspect they just walked around the vehicle and gave up... I gave up arguing with them.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
I have done two complete 5 tyre rotations in 25,000km and displayed locations have been wrong since the first roatation at 10,000km. I have had the dealer in Canberra "try" to reset them to correct positions, but after two attempts they said it can't be done! I suspect they just walked around the vehicle and gave up... I gave up arguing with them.
Expedition HQ corrected the tyre positions on the headunit (after the tyre rotation) in under 5 minutes at my 15,000k service. I watched as they did it.

It can be done, your dealer cannot do it.

If you are going by the Gold Coast, drop in. Lucky for me I am up that way every few months. So I book the car in.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Expedition HQ corrected the tyre positions on the headunit (after the tyre rotation) in under 5 minutes at my 15,000k service. I watched as they did it.

Using only the Gren head unit?

How could the dealers not know this?

Local time
Reaction score
I just had to take my Gren in for a warranty HVAC blower replacement. At 6K miles, I had them do the oil/filter and tire rotation too since there is still no current solution for owners to reset their own factory TPMS sensors (unless you unmount the tires and remount them on the current wheel locations and then balance). Ended up being $265 for the rotation! Ughh. Apparently it's spendy because it's time consuming for them to reset the sensors. Face palm. This really is unacceptable.

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score

If you are going by the Gold Coast, drop in. Lucky for me I am up that way every few months. So I book the car in.
Do share how expedition HQ performed this magic please.

Wile E Coyote

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had a damaged rim which I replaced with the spare. I had the rim fixed and now use it as the spare. I did no reset and didn't change the valves. The wheel speed sensors help to work out where the wheels are as far as I can tell.
All tyre pressures are correctly displayed at the correct corners.
Everyone is underestimating the car, it does have a brain after all! 😁
After some research, this just works when one tyre is swapped with the spare not on a complete multiple tyre rotation.
This also leads me to think that if somebody worked out a pattern (I can't 🙄) then a complete tyre rotation could be accomplished by changing one tyre at a time with the spare over a number of days.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After some research, this just works when one tyre is swapped with the spare not on a complete multiple tyre rotation.
This also leads me to think that if somebody worked out a pattern (I can't 🙄) then a complete tyre rotation could be accomplished by changing one tyre at a time with the spare over a number of days.
I’ll swap a wheel with the spare and see what happens to the TPMS. Then I’ll do it three more times.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On my full-time 4wd vehicles I like the rearward-X rotation pattern, swapping the right rear with the spare. This 5-tire rotation has yielded outstanding mileage on my LR’s tires.

So, today I swapped the spare to the right rear, drove up and down the street, no errors. Next I did this with each wheel position, placing the removed wheel on the rear door, driving (up/down my drive way now, ~300ft.) and no errors. When I parked it for the night, all five tires had been rotated and I’ll get up early tomorrow to set my preferred 36F/38R pressures.

Could it be this simple?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Could it be this simple?
It shouldn't throw any errors, but when you compare pressures with the screen, their locations will be wrong

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It shouldn't throw any errors, but when you compare pressures with the screen, their locations will be wrong
I left pressures alone when I rotated them. Before calling it a day, the display showed 40psi front and 38psi rear. It appears to be reading them in the new positions.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
Future reference: my local local tire shop had a hand held ‘reader’ that, when held near each valve stem on my Kia, could determine the health of the battery in each TPMS sensor.

Wile E Coyote

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On my full-time 4wd vehicles I like the rearward-X rotation pattern, swapping the right rear with the spare. This 5-tire rotation has yielded outstanding mileage on my LR’s tires.

So, today I swapped the spare to the right rear, drove up and down the street, no errors. Next I did this with each wheel position, placing the removed wheel on the rear door, driving (up/down my drive way now, ~300ft.) and no errors. When I parked it for the night, all five tires had been rotated and I’ll get up early tomorrow to set my preferred 36F/38R pressures.

Could it be this simple?
Yes! This is what I expected.
I was thinking it would take more of a drive than 300ft though.

Back
Top Bottom