The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tool kit

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
I've never got on with security wheel nuts - devil's own work in my book.

Apart from the D4 spare wheel plate I get rid of them.

Reactions: PBD

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
I find that style have a tendency to roll off the nuts when applying real force.
It definitely looks like that.

But they made it so you can unscrew the spare wheel.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I love the Makita stuff as well. I even have their job-site radio 😁. But even the radio is top notch. DAB, FM, perfect reception. Internet Radio and podcasts as well, WLan. Stunning sound, fat bass, if you want (equalizer). It's the DMR115:

DMR115_C2L0.jpg

I use a Makita cordless screwdriver/drill powered by a brushless motor. More power than I need and extra short design that helps in tight corners. It rips off 6mm SPAX screws effortlessly, as if they were wax. I haven't tried larger screws (yet). It has a torque limiter, of course, a 'drill' mode and a percussion drilling mode (though this is not comparable to a proper drill for e.g. concrete - more noise than effect)...

I do however not see a reason for extra high torque in daily use: To loosen a very thight nut I find an extension better. And if a screw or a nut is loose, the extra torque is not needed any more.

And I never thought that a cordless angle grinder is worth anything. Until I bought one from Makita (couldn't resist). A excellent all purpose tool on any trip.

What I highly recommend is this thing, it's a hammer of a tool. Makita. (of course). The DWR180Z:

makita_dwr180z_akku.jpg

At the latest when you only have an e.g. 5° working angle for a ratchet or wrench, you no longer want to do without this thing. No need to talk about the quality: perfect. When I bought it last November it cost just 121€ which is a simply a bargain.

Pictures added, typos, wording corrected.

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I love the Makita stuff as well. I even have their radio 😁. But even the radio is top notch. DAB, FM, perfect reception. Internet Radio and podcasts as well, WLan. Stunning sound, fat bass, if you want (equalizer).

I use a battery screwdriver which is powered by a brushless motor. More Power than I need and most importantly short construction which help in tight corners, And I never thought that a battery angle grinder is worth anything. Until I bought one from Makita (couldn't resist). A excellent all purpose tool on any trip.

I do however not see a reason for extra high torque in daily use: To loosen a very thight nut I find an extension better. And if s screw or a nut is loose, the extra torque is not needed any more.

What I can recommend however is this thing, it's a hammer of a tool. Makita. (of course). The DWR180Z:

View attachment 7811540

At the latest when you only have a 5° working angle for a ratchet or wrench, you no longer want to do without this thing. No need to talk about the quality: perfect. When I bought it last November it cost just 121€ which is a just a bargain.
I can vouch for Makita as have a very comprehensive array of Makita battery kit for work and also the brushless motor hammer drill and 1/4 impact wrench at home for DIY. My battery circular saw has taken a real beating and still going strong. I’ve previously used Hitachi tools but don’t think they are available any more or maybe changed names.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Panasonic was once good as well. But they seem to be out of the market.

As to the angle grinder, it's the DGA452:

dga452.jpg

Metal gearbox, brushes easy to change (although they will with my using profile likely last longer than I will).

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Panasonic was once good as well. But they seem to be out of the market.

As to the angle grinder, it's the DGA452:

View attachment 7811554

Metal gearbox, brushes easy to change (although they will with my using profile likely last longer than I will).
I have the same one in my work set 👍🏼

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
And to make it complete, I looked up the model number of my screwdriver. It's the DHP485. Very compact.

makita-dhp485zj.jpg

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will see your 1/4" set and raise you my 3/8" set
View attachment 7811556
Now I’ve got tool envy. I must admit I’m a bit of sucker for tools and kit. I’ve just had a Machine Mart catalogue through door, that’ll keep me occupied for days drooling over that 😂

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I also like the tools from Wera. They are class A quality. However, Stahlwille is class A+, I must say. I only have their nut box, and the price was hefty. But it only hurt once - while suboptimal tools hurt for a lifetime.

The Stahlwille nut box is a masterpiece of precision and usability. All bits have a locking mechanism so you'll never lose a bit in the canyons of an engine, even if tou stick four parts together to get to a hidden nut. It's sheer joy to use it:

For the bigger screws I have a Dowidat box with all the bits and parts. You can not buy this any more as Dowidat was sold to Gedore many years ago. When I bought it they gave a warranty forever ! This is now forbidden by law, you can only get 30 years now at e.g. Gedore.

The Dowidat ratchet has 80 teeth as opposed to 60 which you usually get nowadays. This allows for a very small working angle. The box itself (metal) has a broken hinge, but anything else is in absolutely perfect condition. And I have abused it quite some times (a ratchet with a 2 m extension is definitely an abuse). Highest quality from long gone times, very precise fits. On Ebay they are sometimes offered in the 180 Euro price range, but it's the ratchet which makes them so expensive.

It was my very first high quality tool. I bought it 40 years ago.

Last edited:

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
Now I’ve got tool envy. I must admit I’m a bit of sucker for tools and kit. I’ve just had a Machine Mart catalogue through door, that’ll keep me occupied for days drooling over that 😂
Someone showed their Wera wrench set here a while ago, after seeing that I went deep, deep down the Wera rabbit hole. If you bide your time and know your product there are amazing deals to be had on Amazon.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The brushless kit seems to have so much more power
It does. And when you press the button to full power, it's almost immediately at full speed and gives an unpleasant backlash at the wrist. When you let go of the button, it stops within a fraction of a second. Very impressive response.

Back
Top Bottom