The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tool kit

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
I’d never seen hose clamps before. I would just have used those long nosed mole grips. I’m just a keen bush fix bloke though 😂

I much prefer this type, especially in the hard to reach areas, makes working in the cramped engine bay of modern land rovers so much easier, and looking at the Grenadier, they'll come in handy there as well. There's barely enough room to swing a cat, but I don't fancy its chances and at the very least it would be terribly messy.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:38 PM
Reaction score
Here’s my sort of bush fix. No more brake pads and the ones I had had fallen out in deep muddy tracks. The fix worked and we drove over 200km with no brakes to the next big town with a parts store 😬B2BECDF1-A380-426F-806E-1D66D9259744.jpeg0357E6C4-4397-4EC2-A91B-A43E87EDDF3C.jpeg

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I much prefer this type, especially in the hard to reach areas, makes working in the cramped engine bay of modern land rovers so much easier, and looking at the Grenadier, they'll come in handy there as well. There's barely enough room to swing a cat, but I don't fancy its chances and at the very least it would be terribly messy.
Very nice kit. I may invest in some. 👍🏼

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Logsplitter You don't carry a set of hydraulic blanking plugs?

Shame on you, but the home made barbed wire looks great... :)
Never heard of blanking plugs. I’m showing my ignorance here. I’m no mechanic. I can usually get home or to somewhere that can fix me though 👍🏼

Greasemonkey

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
Here’s my sort of bush fix. No more brake pads and the ones I had had fallen out in deep muddy tracks. The fix worked and we drove over 200km with no brakes to the next big town with a parts store 😬View attachment 7800919View attachment 7800920
Thats a very good "bush fix", because you don't have to bleed the brake lines afterwards. Another solution would be to carry a homemade "dead end piece" for the brake line in your tool kit.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thats a very good "bush fix", because you don't have to bleed the brake lines afterwards. Another solution would be to carry a homemade "dead end piece" for the brake line in your tool kit.
Thanks mate. I’ll look into that for my Grenadier travels 👍🏼

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Never heard of blanking plugs. I’m showing my ignorance here. I’m no mechanic. I can usually get home or to somewhere that can fix me though 👍🏼

A pair of these plugs and corresponding female caps and you're good to go. No squishy brake pedal in your case, just an uneven shimmy from the rear ;)

But that was an epic bush fix

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

A pair of these plugs and corresponding female caps and you're good to go. No squishy brake pedal in your case, just an uneven shimmy from the rear ;)

But that was an epic bush fix
Thankyou I’ll look into those plugs.
When you can make a bush fix it’s a great relief and also makes a great story to tell. Things going wrong and somehow getting out of the situation is what travelling and overlanding are all about. This actually happened in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and it was a long drive to a camp with the pistons rubbing on the brake disks , couldn’t get out to check and fix until in the safety of a camp as too many wild animals to contend with.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It seems to me when travelling that whatever spares you take, then they are not the ones you need, so an assortment of wire, cable ties ,silicone, duct tape, bicycle inner tubes etc is the way to go for a temp fix, to get you to town

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s my sort of bush fix. No more brake pads and the ones I had had fallen out in deep muddy tracks. The fix worked and we drove over 200km with no brakes to the next big town with a parts store 😬
Always carry a wire clothes hanger. It's useful for ... wait for it ... drying clothes ... and other stuff.
Spare brake pads are something worth having I guess but I've never carried them.
Nice bush mechanic repair btw!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would you use that type of hose clamp on the braided lines fitted to the grenadier?
Some would, I prefer not to. On my now long gone RR-P38, I used de-pressurise the brake line by opening the bleed screw on the calliper, unscrew the braided brake line, push a 50-75mm length of snug fitting clear pvc tubing over the exposed end of the brake line and plug/clamp the pvc tube to exclude contamination. Very quick and worked well.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Would you use that type of hose clamp on the braided lines fitted to the grenadier?
I’d never use any form of clamp on a metal braided line. They’re not designed for it. If you do as a bush repair then replace at the first opportunity.

This is where the plugs come in particularly handy.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Actually, I just recognised them. Don't any of you do your own maintenance? 😜
I used to.. for 40yrs..!Then I bought a "soft" SUV (Hyundai) which included 5yrs of service, I've become lazy in that regard. Then I realised that the reason I never took up smoking (other than a short lived pipe at uni (aged 17) because I thought that's what student and academics do.. :rolleyes:) was because I always busy with my hands fixing things.... so I didn't need to smoke :) .
I'm looking forward to breaking out my long stored treasure chest of tools and undertaking routine maintenance on the Grenadier..

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I think they're for a different purpose ~ removing/replacing hose clips. The clamps are for stopping the fluid leaking out.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

What would the world do without Amazon 👍

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I think they're for a different purpose ~ removing/replacing hose clips. The clamps are for stopping the fluid leaking out.
There’s a pair of ratcheting clamps for pinching hoses in my kit. As well as the ratcheting pliers to expand modern constant pressure hose clips. Best of both worlds. No more jubilees :)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mikalor used to be my clamp of choice ~ but got very expensive when the free samples ran out.

Back
Top Bottom