The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The big May 17 Announcement / Pricing / Discussion thread.

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
44 Pages. Whew! I was gone for the last week and missed the 17th by a little. Can someone give me the cliff notes version of what the main story is "so far" for US orders. I plan on ordering in the next 24-48 hours and would really appreciate a little more info.

- Is the price any cheaper for early reservation holders? 71k plus what charges?
- Electrical issues?
- Any update of when approx delivery date of US units?
- Order now (5 Days late) and they still keep my original place in line. (May 22)?

Thank you very much for any info.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
Prices are same for all at this point

The electric issues owners are having seem to be just random warning lights and may be related to battery charge

IA say deliveries before the end of the calendar year
edit - will begin before end of year. Not everyone will be in that boat. Personally I’m thinking Feb for me as I was pretty late to reserve.

Actual orders will not be taken until Jun 1. All we can do now is make and save configurations.

Last edited:

Xrford

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
Plus 20% federal luxury tax on the portion over 100K. So another 2K, which I think is taxed again with the Sales Taxes.

@ChasingOurTrunks , thanks for the PST heads up, did not know that. Commercial vehicle status might change the PST and the fed luxury tax. But I don't think IA has done anything for us in Canada.
I have included the luxury tax in my calculation and have calculated as per gov.bc website. See this doc Here see page 7

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
Prices are same for all at this point

The electric issues owners are having seem to be just random warning lights and may be related to battery charge

IA say deliveries before the end of the calendar year

Actual orders will not be taken until Jun 1. All we can do now is make and save configurations.
Thank you very much. Exactly what I needed to hear.

Local time
Reaction score
Agreed on this amount of off-road.
Agreed the Jeep/Bronco can do this like an IG should be able to. I still think there will be some IG owners exercising their IG this way. Low numbers, but some.

I definitely concur on the G-Wagen value; the price I paid for my used G500 in ~2013 is the same price they're selling for today 10yrs later. They have not dropped a penny in value.

Note that this will automatically remove Aux Battery WITHOUT the configurator alerting you to such (grumble, poor configurator setup).

Anything about warranty on options being void if an IG dealer doesn't install? I could see that being the case regarding liability.

Supposedly people were told this elsewhere, but I'm still waiting to hear more info too. Seems sneaky if this is the case.
I think the assumption, especially after dealing with dealerships during COVID, is that there is going to be a dealership markup.
Same here. $10k-$15k less, sign me the hell up. I would probably end up adding $10k-$15k in accessories :ROFLMAO:
A $10k discount for 7,000 reservation holders works out to $70m. Just for context.

Xrford

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Although I am pleased by the very few problems reported so far, I still think we have yet to see enough numbers on the road to have a large enough pool of owners to draw any conclusion re initial reliability. I will be paying very close attention to the problems reported and I for one will not be committing 100% to a purchase until the Aussies get their hands on it and start using it hard in the outback of Australia. It is known for breaking sub par vehicles.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking maybe early reservation folks will get very low interest rates from IA. That could help soften the blow. 0% could save someone a few grand.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking maybe early reservation folks will get very low interest rates from IA. That could help soften the blow. 0% could save someone a few grand.
I like everyone was hoping for prices to be lower, however after driving one at the test drive in Santa Clarita / Los Angles Drive event I was more impressed with the build quality, interior and features that I thought I ever would be. It is proper stout and over built to last as a long-term forever vehicle and will be an instant success. Yes there are some issues, although few in my opinion for a first new vehicle. I took the chance 2 1/2 years ago and purchased a new First Edition 2020 110 Defender, which was a totally new vehicle for Land Rover. I took a chance and was I glad I did. Best Damm Vehicle I have ever owned in the last 50 years by a long shot. Yes, I took a leap of faith and it could have gone differently. Glad I did buy it when I did as it was not more than one month after I purchased mine that dealers were marking them up $15,000 plus if you could even get one. It's Déjà vu all over again for me. New Grenadier being ordered. Good luck finding one or buying one for less than $15,000 over MSRP for the next 3 years if you don't get yours now. Will it be reliable? I think it has already proven itself. Enough so that I am taking that leap again for miles of smiles. Jump on in, the water is fine. Just wish it was a bit less expensive so more could have the opportunity to experience what this remarkable vehicle is all about. DaBull

Local time
Reaction score
Again, according to this link, ours does:

View attachment 7813014

you don't have an ineos problem. you have a canada problem.

maybe a dual citizenship in a tax friendly us state is what you need. there's endless ways you can save money if you have to pay exorbitant taxes. all completely legal.

Local time
Reaction score
Theres to hoping again ineos will do something. which they won't. Considering https://news.sky.com/story/sir-jim-...-energy-death-due-to-uk-windfall-tax-12882017 Jims main money maker is cut significantly. I wonder why he needs to make more money on the grenadier and maybe tax the US back. haha. Oh and he's also spending money on Man U which might be more important in his eyes. Cause its going to take him from the richest man in Britain to the second.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
you don't have an ineos problem. you have a canada problem.

maybe a dual citizenship in a tax friendly us state is what you need. there's endless ways you can save money if you have to pay exorbitant taxes. all completely legal.

Absolutely that’s true - Ineos is no more responsible for the taxes than they are for my healthcare, education, roads, clean water and air, and healthy food on the shelves. ;)

But, the taxes apply to the competition too. They don’t cost this much - and I think that may be the ticket that explains a good bit of this. I think about 476 pages ago of this thread (I’ve lost count) we figured that Canadians get crazy good deals on other vehicles.

It seems likely to me that the competition priced itself to avoid things like luxury taxes in some cases; it’s better to sell 1000 units at 25% profit than sell 100 units at 30% profit kind of thing. I don’t have direct evidence of this, but the tax structure would explain why other vehicles seem cheaper here, whereas Ineos appears to have priced Canada based on the current exchange rate between the US and Canada.

It’s still a question if this was a miss on Ineos’s part — not enough attention to the dynamics of the Canadian market/buying power of their target buyer perhaps. It’s more likely that they knew they’d sell 1200 in Canada at the higher price, so no need to make it cheaper.

All speculation on my part, that’s just what it looks like.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
... whereas Ineos appears to have priced Canada based on the current exchange rate between the US and Canada.

It’s still a question if this was a miss on Ineos’s part — not enough attention to the dynamics of the Canadian market/buying power of their target buyer perhaps. It’s more likely that they knew they’d sell 1200 in Canada at the higher price, so no need to make it cheaper.

All speculation on my part, that’s just what it looks like.
I actually thought there was a good chance the Gren would be cheaper in Canada than USA just using a straight exchange rate.

Even entertained the thought that US might provide a resale market :rolleyes:

I wonder what role the alleged 1,200 CDN reservation holders played into pricing vs the 6,000(?) in the US seeing as the population ratio is closer to 1:8.4.

And yet, only 2 dealers for Canada vs ? for USA

Then there was the infamous, "hard pressed to reach $100K CAD" comment from the Big Guy. I really thought $100K would be a level IA Canada would try to stay under for the most part, particularly with that luxury tax.

Did their data show the overwhelming number of CDN reservations were in Van and TO ? Perhaps, and perhaps there were a few more tall tales floating around. Still, the rest of the country gets nothing (except maybe Calgary if they are good)

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out here. Not sure I'll be playing tho ...

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I actually thought there was a good chance the Gren would be cheaper in Canada than USA just using a straight exchange rate.

Even entertained the thought that US might provide a resale market :rolleyes:

I wonder what role the alleged 1,200 CDN reservation holders played into pricing vs the 6,000(?) in the US seeing as the population ratio is closer to 1:8.4.

And yet, only 2 dealers for Canada vs ? for USA

Then there was the infamous, "hard pressed to reach $100K CAD" comment from the Big Guy. I really thought $100K would be a level IA Canada would try to stay under for the most part, particularly with that luxury tax.

Did their data show the overwhelming number of CDN reservations were in Van and TO ? Perhaps, and perhaps there were a few more tall tales floating around. Still, the rest of the country gets nothing (except maybe Calgary if they are good)

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out here. Not sure I'll be playing tho ...
I’ll be playing, but in the used market. You, me, and @Xrford should discuss what specs we are looking for. If there’s a good one that matches your specs on Van island in ~2025 I’ll scoop it and hold it till you get here and vise versa!

Jokes aside, I get we have a tough market to break into — the population of California, with an even more aggressive tax and regulations framework, but we are about 2300% bigger. It makes for a difficult business case outside of the lower mainland and the Laurentian corridor.

If I had gains reflecting those percentages in my investing account I’d have a weekday and weekend Grenadier and not even blush!

Local time
Reaction score
The price should be $15k-$20k lower. Compared to a gwagen or bronco raptor it's a poor value, but compared to a rebuilt defender from one of the several companies producing those, it's a good value.
I'm still getting one because I want a defender copy that has good quality and modern engineering. When I get mine, the engine and transmission will be modded immediately, along with some good looking wheels and 33" or 35" tires.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, I'll wait a year and see what happens. North American region dealer and repair network has yet to be announced and that's my biggest hold up regardless of vehicle price. Besides I've got a Wrangler and Tacoma that run just fine for now.
I agree there are some serious limitations in choosing to purchase the IG with pricing being a big one. What I'm particularly concerned about is the potential for the dealers to "mark up" our so called guaranteed MSRP pricing which I read now as not guaranteed, I'm probably going to bail also.

Local time
Reaction score
I agree there are some serious limitations in choosing to purchase the IG with pricing being a big one. What I'm particularly concerned about is the potential for the dealers to "mark up" our so called guaranteed MSRP pricing which I read now as not guaranteed, I'm probably going to bail also.
Others have made the point but it bears repeating: there is no cost to convert a reservation to a pre-order, so there's no monetary risk in waiting to speak with a dealer and confirm whether they will honor MSRP before deciding whether to bail or convert the pre-order to an actual order.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And we have the ability to not only select a dealer of our choice, but can also relocate our delivery to a different dealer (up to a certain point - I can't recall if it's up until the truck leaves the factory, or is placed on the boat, etc.).

Local time
Reaction score
And we have the ability to not only select a dealer of our choice, but can also relocate our delivery to a different dealer (up to a certain point - I can't recall if it's up until the truck leaves the factory, or is placed on the boat, etc.).
that may be a benefit to Americans but for Canadians where Ineos documentation indicates that at launch they plan only two dealers that are 3000 miles apart, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom