The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The big May 17 Announcement / Pricing / Discussion thread.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
I am so pissed off.
I was expecting it to be a $40K back to basics budget 4WD
With lane keep assistant, autonomous braking, adaptive cruise control, premium sound system with a huge subwoofer, a 20,000 watt inverter, 14,000 lb ft of torque, 76 MPG, 137" tyres/tires, 27 electronic off road modes, 35,0000 lb winch with 4 miles of cable.
That's it
I am cancelling the order/reservation I never placed.
I can't afford anything over $41k and never could.
🤣
You are so right! Also I already paid the car I will not collect it for the very same reasons you mentioned above.
It is just so unfair that Ineos did not meet my expectation and over all did not keep all the promises they never gave to me!
Very sad!

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
You guys in the States have always experienced cheap prices in comparison to Europe, plus cheap fuel. Guess you are now experiencing what we have to.

The pricing compares with British prices, and I guess is the true cost of such a vehicle. Whether it's fair or not I don't know.

I think all we want is a reliable, fairly priced vehicle.

Reactions: DDG
Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
“My” config which is very basic is…. I live in the the US & UK.

UK. $74,450. All in including taxes etc.
USA $82,455. All in including taxes etc but NO dealer markup.

Yes I did include all those extra gizmos that come standard on the US model.

WTF…. how can Ineos justify exactly $8,000….? Yes I can afford it but I’m definitely out for now and will wait at least until the end of the year to decide wether or not to get my deposit back….

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
“My” config which is very basic is…. I live in the the US & UK.

UK. $74,450. All in including taxes etc.
USA $82,455. All in including taxes etc but NO dealer markup.

Yes I did include all those extra gizmos that come standard on the US model.

WTF…. how can Ineos justify exactly $6,000….? Yes I can afford it but I’m definitely out for now and will wait at least until the end of the year to decide wether or not to get my deposit back….
How do you think it gets from Europe to US?
do you think there is no import costs into the US?
your stupid laws mean there has to be a dealer, do you think they work for free???

A wether is a ram or goat that is castrated at a young age.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that DaveB…..

I’m an owner of a business and not bloody stupid, we import £1,000,s a month from the UK etc. Including vehicles so quite aware of shipping costs/import duties etc.
Referring to the dealers at the moment it’s the EXTRA totally unjustifiable scam “market adjustment” markups that some US dealers put on the MSRP which is unknowable until delivery. If you read my post carefully I stated the US price is BEFORE any dealer markup OVER MSRP.

p.s. I lived in Aus for 9 years (still have daughter there) love a banter but petty comments regarding an accidental misspelling is just that… petty

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that DaveB…..

I’m an owner of a business and not bloody stupid, we import £1,000,s a month from the UK etc. Including vehicles so quite aware of shipping costs/import duties etc.
Referring to the dealers at the moment it’s the EXTRA totally unjustifiable scam “market adjustment” markups that some US dealers put on the MSRP which is unknowable until delivery. If you read my post carefully I stated the US price is BEFORE any dealer markup OVER MSRP.

p.s. I lived in Aus for 9 years (still have daughter there) love a banter but petty comments regarding an accidental misspelling is just that… petty
Sorry but is is extremely tiring to hear some Americans commenting on how they are some way entitled to a better product at a cheaper price to the rest of the world
I stress the point ......some.....Americans............not all.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What other driver assistance packages do you want?
It's doing everything but scratching your arse and picking your nose for you

View attachment 7812447
Honestly, I would trade much of that for blind-spot "alert" (usually a little light on the outside mirror or similar). I think it's a fantastic feature that, while it may seem superfluous, makes "seeing" your blindspot much easier and safer - especially when there's lots of stuff in the vehicle and the side window(s) might be blocked. There is an endless supply of shitty, self-obsessed, distracted drivers in the US who will blindspot sit because they are, in fact, shitty, self-obsessed, distracted drivers.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly, I would trade much of that for blind-spot "alert" (usually a little light on the outside mirror or similar). I think it's a fantastic feature that, while it may seem superfluous, makes "seeing" your blindspot much easier and safer - especially when there's lots of stuff in the vehicle and the side window(s) might be blocked. There is an endless supply of shitty, self-obsessed, distracted drivers in the US who will blindspot sit because they are, in fact, shitty, self-obsessed, distracted drivers.
It's a global phenomenon Krabby... brought on by attention deficit disorder fed by obsession with their mobile phones. Two problems (apart from being let loose behind a steering wheel) ... they breed and they vote! 🫣

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm just throwing this out there, and it won't seem to change things for many NAs here, but the Smooth Pack is included in our price but elsewhere it would knock off about $1,786 (UK), $2,222 (EU/DE) and $1350 (Oz) so let's just average them - interestingly enough is $1,786 (the UK equivalent) - so if we could spec without the Smooth Pack, the US base-base price would be $69,714.

There's something comforting about that lead-off 6 in the ten-thousands place.

edit - I used XE for the conversion rates and did not account for VAT, I just took the prices as listed in the configurers for the respective currencies.

Last edited:

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:09 PM
Reaction score
Kinda -

The summary so far:

Americans are upset and expected it to be cheaper. Some are dropping out but it’s not clear if it’s any more/less than the 50% expected. Americans are actually getting the same value for money as the Australians more or less. So whatever happened after the announcement in Australia is likely to similarly happen in America. There are 330 million of them after all - surely a few thousand will proceed with purchase.

Canadians got more of a sticker shock and we spent all our money on pointy sticks to fend off the polar bears, so we don’t have the same “it’s the same as Australia” value proposition here and the Gren is looking like it’ll cost a lot more loonies here than we expected. There will likely be more attrition in Canada, but TBD.

And South Africans are getting the best deal on Big Macs, and some people prefer Porches to Civics and vise versa.

How’d I do with that summary of 30 pages, gents?

Great and thorough post. That was a good read. One thing didn't really make sense to me though: you mentioned that you feel cramped sometimes in the 4-Runner, and that you are strongly considering the Grenadier as an alternative. We own a 4-Runner and I sat in the Grenadier for quite a while back in August 2022, and I drove it twice in April 2023. The Grenadier is notably less spacious than the 4-Runner. The driver's seat is roomier in the 4-Runner (seat width, shoulder room, elbow-room), and the passenger seat is much roomier (especially in the foot-well). I've posted comparison pictures in the past, and won't do that again. Just curious what you are thinking as I know you are a pretty thoughtful and calculating guy.

Thanks @ChasingOurTrunks and @stickshifter

Let me expand on my 4Runner thoughts..perhaps I should have been more specific

While I didn’t measure the exact dimensions of the driver seat in the 4Runner.. the interior width and driver foot well space seem to be on par with the Gren. I think the Gren feels a bit snug because of the Recaro’s which not only bolster well but also have excellent thigh support. The 4R always felt a bit short on seat comfort for me..mainly because the seat is flatter and not as bolstered.

Secondly, what got me with the 4R was the shorter headroom. I am blessed with a longer torso. I am also a bit biased here, I currently drive a pre-MBUsa G-Wagen, and while dimensionally it is smaller than the 4R and Gren, it feels and is quite spacious internally. Mostly because the 1997 regulations for safety are not the same as modern standards..but also because the design is a lot more simple and elementary. The Gren is definitely better than the 4R in terms of headroom but the G-Wagen is even better than the Gren.

Thirdly, I think the 4R has a higher ‘belt line’ than the Grenadier..so you sit a bit more in the car rather than high up on it..if you know what I mean. The best way to illustrate that is where does the window sill line-up with your body when you sit? At the waist or around the rib cage? Land Rovers in the past have always touted their command driving position..basically it’s the belt line that makes it feel so. Grenadier and G-Wagon have a lower belt line than the 4Runner.

I didn’t sit in the passenger seat of the 4R and Gren and compare..but @stickshifter you point is correct there. The ‘hump’ in the Gren will definitely reduce foot room vs. 4R.

Now looking at the space behind the front row. What actually I like in the 4R (and the LC200) is that there is a proper 72” of length from the drivers seat back to the tail gate..with the driver/ passenger seat at a comfortable driving position. The Gren (and my G-Wagen) have only 65-68”. This means for an interior sleeping setup that accommodates my 6’ frame, I need to move the seats when I camp, have a 8-12” foldout section of the bed.

Last point, objectively the reduced headroom of the 4R also translated to a lower floor to ceiling height in the cargo area. If memory serves me right its 39” for the 4R, 42” for the Gren and 47” for my G-Wagen. So if you want to have a drawer setup (10” in height) where you can also sit inside during bad weather or just lounge, the 4R is too tight, Gren is just OK and the G-Wagen is quite good.

Again all these points are very subjective to my body dimensions, my perception and my specific build + travel needs. In fact the Grenadier can’t still hold a candle to my G-Wagen when it comes to visibility. When I sat in the Grenadier at a comfortable seating position, my eye line was just at or above the top of the driver side window. So I had to bend down just a fraction to see behind when switching lanes kind of scenario.

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a 2023 Defender that was $85K that I will be switching to a $85 Grenadier.
Same. I waited a long time for my 23.5 Defender X-Dynamic but I'm planning to swap it for the Grenadier assuming the issues the early adopters are seeing are fixed AND no dealer markups as a reservation holder.

Reactions: BD1
Local time
Reaction score
For folks criticizing others' complaints about price, I would humbly remind you that we're all members of an enthusiast forum and some have been emotionally invested in this project for years. It's understandable for some to be upset that price reality exceeded their price expectations. Let them have their space to complain; no need to pile on/shame them for it (though I did enjoy @DaveB 's $41k post 😂 ).

For those that have been priced out, I'm truly sorry. If it won't be salt in the wound, I'm sure those of us who are placing orders will happily give you a spin behind the wheel when ours arrive.

Local time
Reaction score
For folks criticizing others' complaints about price, I would humbly remind you that we're all members of an enthusiast forum and some have been emotionally invested in this project for years. It's understandable for some to be upset that price reality exceeded their price expectations. Let them have their space to complain; no need to pile on/shame them for it (though I did enjoy @DaveB 's $41k post 😂 ).

For those that have been priced out, I'm truly sorry. If it won't be salt in the wound, I'm sure those of us who are placing orders will happily give you a spin behind the wheel when ours arrive.
I think the biggest culprit is really just the inflation, the supply chain issues, the interest rates, all compounded with the delays to bring it to market (none of which are really the fault of IA, except maybe some communication issues).

When I first heard of this project in March 2022, reserved the following month, i was drawn to a back to basic vehicle that shirks the frills and techy stuff that i dont want but is super capable and built to last.

There was a very real thought that the entry level version could be priced at $45k, and perhaps a fully optioned topping out around $65-70k. Of course that got all blown up. But everything in the world has been affected like that too in the last 10 months.

My issue now is the IG i want costs $86k, and I look at what I could also get for that in the states (albeit totally diff type vehicle) with better track record and better service support locally. So there are def things to weigh now that didnt exist when my rez was made.

Local time
Reaction score
we do not have access to that level of data. We’re just users like you. One FB poll, for whatever that is worth, showed nearly 70% rate of cancellation. INEOS was apparently expecting 40-45% cancellation rate. The prices here are causing much concern. As is the fuel mileage.
I think this is because the $450 deposit was so low it allowed many people "in" that may not have been realistic buyers, or thought the IG was going to be a new "bargain-basement" rock-crawling machine....

Local time
Reaction score
A few thoughts. The US pricing is much higher than I hoped and slightly higher than what I expected. Seeing that there is about a ~+10% difference in the US market probably explains that expectation difference. Some of that I can handle as I do see the Grenadier as much more than a Jeep Rubicon 4 dr and yet I love Jeeps. While I believe offroad capability is similar between the two, with Jeep having the edge due to the swaybar disconnect and lighter weight, the Grenadier has a shorter wheelbase, much higher payload, better visibility, better towing specs, stronger solid axles, larger interior, more roof payload, sturdier / likely safer, and more comfortable seating. The Grenadier could be a forever car for me. The Grenadier is more like what I'd want from a G-Wagen without all the luxury and still with solid front axles and proper wheel size--a new old school G-wagen:). So the real consternation comes from the unknown pricing due to possible dealer mark up. Since Ineos dealers have not existed, nor have been announced, they have not contributed in anyway to my Grenadier experience or decision making. I'll likely have to make my purchase decision without knowing this vital info so it throws an unfortunate wrench into the equation. Optimistically, I would like to think that the higher relative pricing in the US is there to actually cover the dealers mark up during their start up with the brand. Then after the initial orders from the reservation pool, the more traditional dealer process (test drives, Q&A, markup) can resume for better or worse. Fingers are crossed. If a dealer markup is inevitable, perhaps Ineos would feel compelled provide a rebate funded by their US pricing difference. One can dream, right?

Local time
Reaction score
Having driven semi trucks and busses its truly amazing to see how someone will sit in that blind spot for miles going down the road when they could be in a much safer spot. Then you have the folks with BVS (Big Vehicle Syndrome). They pull out in fount of you only to slow down, pass you on a hill and then slow down or just have to pass you no matter what it takes.

Local time
Reaction score
I think the Rolex analogy is a great one. I perceive little value in a $250 Seiko, but I perceive high value in Rolex stainless sport watches such as Submariner / Sea Dweller / Daytona.

To me the Grenadier is like a Rolex sports/tool watch: completely unnecessary, over engineered, over built for the task, a beautiful balanced functional design and it will be relatively uncommon.
Interesting. To add to the analogy, the primary function of a watch is to tell the time. Which the Seiko may do as well as (or better?) than a Rolex. Th difference is the Rolex should last longer, will hold its value (or appreciate) and - Mainly - stroke the ego of the wearer...... ;)

jamgolf

Forum Supporter
Local time
9:09 PM
Reaction score
"Forever Car" .. that's what I want the Grenadier to be for me, as @Scott_USA also expressed.

If it is that, then the price becomes completely secondary/irrelevant in the long term, for me.
However for this to be possible, the quality control has to be much much much better. Sensors, electronics etc. have to be totally sorted. Software quality has to match the mechanical and build quality.

I hope Ineos can deliver THAT vehicle.

Last edited:

singlefin

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly I did not have sticker shock from knowing the other market pricing. There was a bit of disappointment to realize might be best to purchase the extra bits later on. So now I have base build with the options I want.

This is filling the hole in my heart left by selling my Vanagon Syncro and replacing an Outback. Grew up lusting over D90/110 but never opened the wallet. I find value in the Gren. So cheers to the rest staying on the ride til delivery.

Back
Top Bottom