The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The big May 17 Announcement / Pricing / Discussion thread.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
For folks criticizing others' complaints about price, I would humbly remind you that we're all members of an enthusiast forum and some have been emotionally invested in this project for years. It's understandable for some to be upset that price reality exceeded their price expectations. Let them have their space to complain; no need to pile on/shame them for it (though I did enjoy @DaveB 's $41k post 😂 ).

For those that have been priced out, I'm truly sorry. If it won't be salt in the wound, I'm sure those of us who are placing orders will happily give you a spin behind the wheel when ours arrive.
Couldn't have said it better myself @bmore_burnsy

One thing is at this price point there will be an inevitable attraction from people that change their vehicles when they come off lease ~ 3 years (I've not heard about leasing so it's just a turn of phrase) and will never take them off-road. So when they do hit the second hand market it will be pretty buoyant I'm willing to bet. Everything has its upper price limit whether that be emotionally or fiscally, second hand, well that moves the goalposts dramatically with regards to purchasing power.

In my case, I've never bought a brand new vehicle, my method was to let someone else take the hit and I'll get the best specced one I can for the best price. There is a long game and short game here. Both are winnable but it's up to us which one we play. For those that wait, then you'll have the benefit of others working out the problems and fixes for these vehicles at the cost of not having it now. For those that buy now, well you get a new vehicle with a known history if you do use it to its full potential.

Local time
Reaction score
Honestly I did not have sticker shock from knowing the other market pricing. There was a bit of disappointment to realize might be best to purchase the extra bits later on. So now I have base build with the options I want.

This is filling the hole in my heart left by selling my Vanagon Syncro and replacing an Outback. Grew up lusting over D90/110 but never opened the wallet. I find value in the Gren. So cheers to the rest staying on the ride til delivery.

Ride or die, eh?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
This is filling the hole in my heart left by selling my Vanagon Syncro and replacing an Outback.
I had never seen a Vanagon before I saw one wheeling at Paragon Action Park (in Pennsylvania) years ago. It blew my mind how nimble that little truck was. Granted it wasn't on the hardest trails, but it kept up with the pack on most everything else.

Local time
Reaction score
I think the people that are backing out will regret it and wish they did more to get it. there's a strong chance that the window of opportunity might never come again without paying even more money.

quite a few seem to be backing out because of the extra 15% to the big guy . but the thing is IG told us in advance and they basically told us 65 for the base at a starting point before the Biden hike.

Local time
Reaction score
I think the people that are backing out will regret it and wish they did more to get it. there's a strong chance that the window of opportunity might never come again without paying even more money.

quite a few seem to be backing out because of the extra 15% to the big guy . but the thing is IG told us in advance and they basically told us 65 for the base at a starting point before the Biden hike.
The question is ...

do you let them bow out gracefully or do you fight them, challenge their opinions and decision ?

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The question is ...

do you let them bow out gracefully or do you fight them, challenge their opinions and decision ?
I always go devils advocate on all decisions. Your emotions control so much of the buying decision. If you force yourself or someone to play the otherside a better picture emerges.

On side note, I have been lurking on the other car forums like Bronco and Jeep. Not a peep since the price drop. The big conversation the Bronco forum continues to be the Tie Rods snapping and a few broken axels now showing up. The most recent broken axel was someone took their sasquatch package and add 37. The front locker was locked and the axel snapped. I only bring this up because so many are quick to point to different options at lower price point but never ask why is it lower. Devils advocate should always ask why is it lower.

Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
I always go devils advocate on all decisions. Your emotions control so much of the buying decision. If you force yourself or someone to play the otherside a better picture emerges.

On side note, I have been lurking on the other car forums like Bronco and Jeep. Not a peep since the price drop. The big conversation the Bronco forum continues to be the Tie Rods snapping and a few broken axels now showing up. The most recent broken axel was someone took their sasquatch package and add 37. The front locker was locked and the axel snapped. I only bring this up because so many are quick to point to different options at lower price point but never ask why is it lower. Devils advocate should always ask why is it lower.
Most people don't seem to realize that putting 35s and 37s on anything is going to break all the parts you don't beef up. Especially if you try to go rock crawling and have no idea what you are doing.

Local time
Reaction score
Most people don't seem to realize that putting 35s and 37s on anything is going to break all the parts you don't beef up. Especially if you try to go rock crawling and have no idea what you are doing.
I think the last sentence is completely accurate. Especially if you are locking a IFS axle and turning in rough terrain. There are a number of 200 LC owners that never have any issues running 35s, but the LC is overbuilt. Hopefully the IG will have similar track records as time goes on. I'm sure a brand new vehicle, we'll see a lot of small gremlins that hopefully work out before mine is delivered to my later this year/early 2024.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That's thing I'm trying to say. Everyone is trying to compare lower cost options without asking why is it lower. "I can put 35 on a bronco for 35k. Blah blah blah" you can but you still have parts on there that are lower quality to get you a car at 35k.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

frank its always sunny in philadelphia GIF

Sorry @pioneerofthenile I couldn't resist :D I actually totally agree with you as one of those people who will have to wait and revisit my purchase of the Gren. I know I will likely always feel a tinge of regret, and I know that, for at least buying new, this is the cheapest they'll be.

At the same time -- "did more to get it" isn't as easy to do as it is to say for a lot of folks. Remember a few weeks back when eggs were $10/dozen? I know for a lot of folks, our wages aren't increasing nearly as quickly as the price of living, and there's only so much one can do. I thought about selling a Kidney but I like having a spare! :D

Does anyone want to subscribe to my OnlyFans if I start one? I'm a bit hairy but I've been told I'm a great dancer and have some pretty flash underwear for the job at hand!

Local time
Reaction score
Price is one to consider, but what about being located in one of the flyover states. Any warranty issues, you are out of luck?

Reactions: jwb
Local time
Reaction score
Price is one to consider, but what about being located in one of the flyover states. Any warranty issues, you are out of luck?
This is def a consideration

Im in northwest arkansas. I would have thought they would have put one in at least kansas city

Dallas is almost a 5 hour drive for me

Local time
Reaction score
With only two dealers in Canada planned at launch (4500km apart) an effective owner support strategy is critical. However given the Canadian pricing perhaps two dealerships are more than enough.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
Is this because it's built in France? The Grenadier is probably the only car build in France that you can buy in the US. For a good reason. Maybe if they decided to build it in Eastern Europe like the big boys are doing, they could have kept the prices down.

Limeyjeeper

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am out for now and let me explain why:-
The Grenadier was conceived as a tough off road utility vehicle for the working man, not a fancy Mall crawler. The fact is that it is not well equipped enough and doesn't have the brand recognition of Mercedes or Land Rover to be a mall crawler means it sits in the middle. It is too expensive for the Jeep/Bronco user and too cheap without the build quality and residual history of a G Wagon or a Land Cruiser/Lexus. It will probably end up like a Range Rover with atrocious depreciation. Lexus and Toyota hold their value because they have had decades of good reliability and proven offroad chops.
Anybody serious about off-roading knows that 35's. rock rails, lockers and winches are absolutely mandatory. These accessory prices are insane. You aren't going to tackle much at Moab or any other national park without them.
I want to wait and see how the third-party accessory market embraces this vehicle because except on the margin there is simply not enough demand to support a robust aftermarket. Just look at the Land Cruiser/Lexus market very few options with a vehicle that has a much bigger customer base.
The dealer network in the US is so subpar and undefined that I might find myself 300 plus miles from a dealer. My nearest Land Rover/ Jeep/ Mercedes dealer is 8 miles away. Customers simply aren't going to drive that far. This looks like the Alfa Romeo relaunch in the US, not enough dealers, sketchy out the door reliability and atrocious depreciation.
I think INEOS don't understand the US market, It will make or break the Grenadier it creates volume (unless they can crack China who are not big off road vehicle buyers). To get the factory to a margin level 25,000 units a year is a minimum, so it must be successful in the US. It is the largest off-road vehicle market in the world by far. The sheer size of the US aftermarket for Jeep parts proves that. There are hundreds of companies producing all sorts of gear because the market is huge. The Bronco is growing it further, along with the Colorado, New Tacoma, Ranger who all are very capable off-road vehicles and have at least some aftermarket support.
I want to see if Sales really do support the value proposition. To achieve the sales levels INEOS needs the UK, SA, Australia and other markets simply cannot generate enough sales. Holden folded in Australia because they couldn't make money in a market where in their best years, they only sold 100k units. The UK new car market is Australia around 1m units, SA is 500k, The UK is 2.3m in a good year. The USA is around 16m (pre covid) this is why prices are lower it is where the sales are. The G wagon in its best year sold 15k units globally and 8.5k in the US. Half of global sales!!! Land Rover sells 90,000 units in the US (30% of its production) with the Defender being the best seller by far.
I am concerned about depreciation. If it is the same as Land Rover then waiting is the prudent move.
There will always be people who will buy the latest cool toy. It is a very small market. Not enough to sell 10,000 units in the US, EVERY YEAR, which INEOS must do. If the Grenadier was $10k - $15k less then I would probably be in but at mid $90k including taxes for a well-equipped but spartan in comparison a Lexus, Range Rover or Mercedes vehicle, it is going to have a very small market. If they have soft sales, they will have to cut prices to drive efficiency in the plant.
I am willing to make the bet that INEOS have their pricing wrong, and that pricing will soften. It will for all manufacturers as inflation and supply chain shortages disappear. We are already seeing it starting to happen in the US. You can only throttle back production so much unless you can keep raising prices. It worked for a while, but I think that ship has sailed. Every Auto manufacturer is at their peak margin position right now as they all priced much higher than their cost increases because they could. Keynes was not wrong......
Another point of note is that the UK configurator includes VAT and OTR costs. The US configurator excludes taxes and OTR. So even with the exchange rate at 1.20 and import duty which is 2-3% the pricing is way off.
I love the vehicle; I love the concept, but it simply isn't THAT much better than other options to justify the price right now. I have the means to buy it but not the desire.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Is this because it's built in France? The Grenadier is probably the only car build in France that you can buy in the US. For a good reason. Maybe if they decided to build it in Eastern Europe like the big boys are doing, they could have kept the prices down.
They will need a North America factory to be competitive here.

Back
Top Bottom