The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The big May 17 Announcement / Pricing / Discussion thread.

Texas Grenadier

Global Grenadier Member 942
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone found any price ‘hack’ in pricing the Trialmaster or Other one that gives a price break over the standard and adding bits?

I don’t need the air snorkel, and I don’t want Aluminum rims, so it would have to be a goof bundle to make either a savings.
Start from the base and add what you want!

Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score
Folks also have to consider how much it costs to get a properly redone Defender from Arkonik or ECD Automotive. These are easily double the cost of an IG and in many ways a better comp — at least for me — than a Toyota Taco or some other piece of plastic.

I would heavily caution on the A....choice. The E choice looks solid. Too many Defender refurbishers putting out pooo.

So now going down the road of what I can get for $80kish or less
Nicely equipped 2024 Defender 110 3.0l ($78,600 including destination)
Nicely equipped 2024 Ram Power Wagon ($79,660 including destination)
Loaded Jeep Gladiator Rubicon $65,625 (OUCH)
Loaded 2023 Colorado ZR2 with $30 K Left over
Loaded New Bronco with about $15K Left over (OUCH)
2024 Tacoma with $$$ left over
Next Gen 4 runner $$$ left over

The LR3 on Cars and Bids the other day with only 24K miles on it, $55k Left over
Just putting a lift kit on my F150, $78K Left over

Just a small list of options that I have been looking at, seems like life in the automotive world is pretty good, even if the Grenadier is a little more pricey than I was hoping.

I remember the day we bought our Volvo XC70 back in the mid 2000s, couldn't believe we would spend $38,000 on a car.

Some of these aren't even comparable to an IG; RAM Power Wagon, JT Rubi, Colo ZR2; they're not "station wagon" SUV's.
LR3 at that mileage could be solid.
Still perplexed why more aren't considering a slightly used G-Wagen or LandCruiser 200.

I saw some nice low miles (~30k) G550s for $80k while looking for alternatives today. Used cars can be negotiated as well, so probably lower than that.

<clapping>

Has anyone found any price ‘hack’ in pricing the Trialmaster or Other one that gives a price break over the standard and adding bits?

I don’t need the air snorkel, and I don’t want Aluminum rims, so it would have to be a goof bundle to make either a savings.

Yep. I built my own from scratch. Here's one;
Rough pack with F&R diff locks, and 5qty 265/70/17 BFG K02's at $2850.
F&R diff locks alone at $2250.
5qty BFG's at $950.
So....Rough Pack is deal in that the tires only cost $600, when they retail for $250/ea. Granted, I don't want the K02's as I'll be upsizing immediately, but perhaps I could sell them to a Sprinter owner....so I'm debating between whether to Rough Pack for just F&R diff locks.

Last edited:

ZEN_OWT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But it wasn’t supposed to be a luxury vehicle. Therein lies the pricing disconnect. And, quite frankly, it’s not a luxury vehicle.
I believe "luxury" means that it is another level of off-road capability, and meant to be used that way first and foremost. Whereas other car markers have to be heavily modified to make it work in the back country. For example, the new defender with 20"+ rims is a suburban luxury street car. You don't see these off roading. The IG is being built for off-road enthusiasts that are serious about their passions and willing to pay for an over-built car that will last.

Local time
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of imports! Vehicles and related componentry manufactured and assembled in the US for (mainly) US consumption are somewhat sheltered from price vagaries through economies of scale and operating within the "continental" USA.
The imported Grenadier is subject to current European inflationary pressures, huge increases in energy costs (there's a war going on there remember which has hiked energy cost world wide) and, most important, to the relative movement of the US$ to the Euro and GBP on foreign exchange markets. The US Fed's interest rate decisions have significant impact on Rest of the world economies. The US pricing has to take account of all of these factors. I read here of large increases in MSRP of US vehicles generally over the past couple of years...

I have great sympathy for your disappointment. However, I've not read anywhere that Ineos promised a particular price point for the US market... there was speculation on this forum based on FOREX back -of-an-envelope calculations comparing UK/European and Australian prices. ..which may have influenced expectations...but the reality is far more complex.

How does the Ineos compare pricewise to JLR offerings? That, to my mind would be the yardstick...not to the mass production output from Ford/Toyota/GM and Stellantis (Jeep)
That makes zero sense. Japanese vehicles are not close to being this expensive, neither are other European vehicles including Land Rover.

Local time
Reaction score
Unless you're in it for the jacket, I frankly don't see the point of the TM and FM trims over spec'ing a base. Fluff marketing, faux prestige. My two cents anyway 😁
The base doesn't even have lockers. Not that anyone who buys this car will actually take it off roading anyway.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
What USA only reg do you think affected the price?
Well, never said it was just USA only regulations however, I am pretty sure if the Grenadier was built as my 86 FJ60 was built it would have cost a lot less since it would not have had back up cameras, all the air bags, park assist, AB, TPMS, Automatic Hazard Warning, ADAS 1, Rear view cameras, Touch screen display, android auto, blue tooth and a few other items. Looking at the Standard Features I see Eco Start Stop and one can only hope that shit can be disconnected.

Forgot to add - automatic transmission.

DANG, Actually said Uncle Sam, so Zimm was right.

Last edited:
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
I believe "luxury" means that it is another level of off-road capability, and meant to be used that way first and foremost. Whereas other car markers have to be heavily modified to make it work in the back country. For example, the new defender with 20"+ rims is a suburban luxury street car. You don't see these off roading. The IG is being built for off-road enthusiasts that are serious about their passions and willing to pay for an over-built car that will last.

All the serious off road enthusiasts I know are going to build their own rigs, not buy a $100k SUV to take on the trails. The Grenadier isn't going to do any better offroad than a Wrangler or Gladiator.

Local time
Reaction score
The base doesn't even have lockers. Not that anyone who buys this car will actually take it off roading anyway.

Disagreed. % will be low yes.

All the serious off road enthusiasts I know are going to build their own rigs, not buy a $100k SUV to take on the trails. The Grenadier isn't going to do any better offroad than a Wrangler or Gladiator.

When you say serious off-road, what type of terrain are you talking. I assume less serious than Rubicon or Fordyce, but more serious than a groomed gravel forest road? Perhaps like a BDR route is what you're thinking in terms of "off-road trails"?
Jeep Rubi(incl 392) or Ford Bronco(Raptor) if used, are coming in at less $ than a new IG. Braptor is on 37s stock and I can say from experience, that is ONE difficult to beat off-roadable rig from the factory--wow. Both are smaller interior-wise than the IG.

Local time
Reaction score
When you say serious off-road, what type of terrain are you talking. I assume less serious than Rubicon or Fordyce, but more serious than a groomed gravel forest road? Perhaps like a BDR route is what you're thinking in terms of "off-road trails"?
Jeep Rubi(incl 392) or Ford Bronco(Raptor) if used, are coming in at less $ than a new IG. Braptor is on 37s stock and I can say from experience, that is ONE difficult to beat off-roadable rig from the factory--wow. Both are smaller interior-wise than the IG.
The guys around here regularly do Moab and Rubicon trips, normal use would be weekend camping and exploring on unmaintained forest service roads with 2' deep ruts and large rocks. Sometimes we have to cross rivers and creeks while the snow is still melting. My area is also high desert, so lots of deep sand to be found. You don't even need those big engine models to keep up with the Ineos offroad. There just isn't an offroad situation that the Grenadier can do that a Rubicon or Badlands can't.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
So I've had a couple of days to think about it - my build is around $100K - then by the time I add on the other goodies I would want after market it gets near $105-$110 very fast. I imagine most people will start to weigh the other toys out there (a 3-4 year old G-Wagon with 30K miles is about $135K or a well equipped Raptor is less than $100K) one Q - 'how reliable will this vehicle be and how much value will it hold.' On the value front, a G-Wagon holds its value very well - if there are issues with the IG being a new vehicle - the value could plummet fast. I will still place an order as the development backstory and other lore has sucked me in, and then watch the threads about delivery issues and mechanical issues.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
It is selling well in Australia, as opposed to any Jeep product.
Jeep sold less than 8,000 vehicles in Australia last year across all models.
The Grand Cherokee is the best seller at under 2,000 in a year
The Wrangler sold about 1,100
Gladiator under 1,000 when the best selling vehicles in Australia are dual cab utes/pickups.
Most of the Jeeps are also purchased as "Lifestyle" vehicles not serious offroading
Yes they are very capable of it, but we have to drive thousands of kilometres on rough roads and they just fall apart.
They also have such a low load rating that they are useless for our use cases.
I should also add that Ineos have already sold more Grenadiers in Australia than Jeep have sold Wranglers.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The Big Mac has een used for years by "The Economist" magazine ( best international news/financial magazine in the world) as a comparitor for a country's economic status. So your use is not out of left field!

Blind squirrels find nuts and broke clocks are right twice a day - and to be clear I am the squirrel/clock! I did not know that but it sure feels good to know smart people use it too! Thanks for this!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The guys around here regularly do Moab and Rubicon trips, normal use would be weekend camping and exploring on unmaintained forest service roads with 2' deep ruts and large rocks. Sometimes we have to cross rivers and creeks while the snow is still melting. My area is also high desert, so lots of deep sand to be found. You don't even need those big engine models to keep up with the Ineos offroad. There just isn't an offroad situation that the Grenadier can do that a Rubicon or Badlands can't.
In Australia a common 4wd trip will include a long drive over corrugations
This will test any vehicle (including Toyotas)
There is no way you would do it in a Jeep without significant modifications or with any faith that it won't fall apart
I am a lot more confident that the Grenadiers suspension and components will stand up to it.
We shall have to wait and see.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTE4On69kXQ

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
I should also add that Ineos have already sold more Grenadiers in Australia than Jeep have sold Wranglers.
Also add to that the poor resale and reliability issues make the choice easier

Local time
Reaction score
In Australia a common 4wd trip will include a long drive over corrugations
This will test any vehicle (including Toyotas)
There is no way you would do it in a Jeep without significant modifications or with any faith that it won't fall apart
I am a lot more confident that the Grenadiers suspension and components will stand up to it.
We shall have to wait and see.
We call that "washboard". Every dirt road is like that here. It's a pain in the ass when you have to do 100s of miles on it.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We feel for a lot of our USA Brethren regarding the price shock.
I think most of us felt a little similar when the prices were initially released here in OZ, however after the initial phase passed, we still saw the value in the vehicle despite the pricing.
I would be interested to hear @Stu_Barnes take on it all, and how the pricing sits in the USA market, and how it is impacting perceptions.
Agree, I don’t think the guys are in any different position than we were in the rest of the world. We all thought and hoped it might be cheaper because it was “back to basics” when our pricing can out it was about the same amount higher than we hoped as it is for you. And there are a few factors.
1. Some features are “basic” compared to new SUVs but these trucks are engineered with tons of expensive extra steel and metal and paint etc and thay doen’t come cheap. I have a Thailand built Mitsubisha Pajero Sport right now, its a great car for the very reasonable price, but the metalwork is thin, you touch it and it dents, the paint is the thinnest I have ever seen, breath on it and it scratches and chips, the plastics look nice but all the chrome paint on them comes off at the slightest touch. The Grenadier is the opposite of that, plus top end engine and transmission etc.
2. None (or very few of us) actually want the stripped back, back to basics version. We tick all the accessories boxes and the price goes up accordingly. Go to any real competitors and add the leather and the diff locks and winches and sunroofs etc and watch the price go up.

No it’s not a bargain basement car, it’s not built like one either. Its a vehicle with a bit less bling (although you can add a fair bit) but a lot more substance, literally more substance.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@TradChap Let me ask you simple question. Which would you buy Honda Civic or a Porsche GT2 RS Both are kitted out the same in terms of top specs provided by each manufacture. And then please share why
In my opinion, a Honda Civic is usually owned by a senior with poor driving skills and puts your life at risk.
A GT2 RS just wants to kill you. It is a truly frightening car , especially on a twisty , damp and/or potholed road. A GT3 RS just wants to maim you .
Both will morcellate your inner organs.

Back
Top Bottom