The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The big May 17 Announcement / Pricing / Discussion thread.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:11 AM
Reaction score
I finally got some time today to dig in and think about what is needed versus what is nice to have. I got a Ultility down to 80.5k.. It is a utility with a rough pack, towing, safari windows, sliders and overhead panel but no battery. Now I can get it lower but the MM, safari windows, sliders, rough pack and overhead panel is a must.

I personally think that is a great price and it is similar to my L663 build. I paid 65k for the P300 in 2020. I went on to the LR site and rebuilt it and price is 71.5.

Side question does anyone know if the overhead panel provides the wiring to hook up a battery and management system or I would have to run it.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
@TradChap Let me ask you simple question. Which would you buy Honda Civic or a Porsche GT2 RS Both are kitted out the same in terms of top specs provided by each manufacture. And then please share why
I would say this - it depends on which GT2 you are referring to - the 2019 RS is insanely fast but actually more forgiving than its reputation. Clearly not the widow maker the '10 GT2 was - that car had a smile on it while it was trying to kill you - it would then go and kill your family and cut up your dog in front of you just for grins....

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
The base doesn't even have lockers. Not that anyone who buys this car will actually take it off roading anyway.
I didn’t say buy the base, I said spec the base, i.e., add options to the base rather than start with the TM or FM trims. That’s what I’m doing.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I didn’t say buy the base, I said spec the base, i.e., add options to the base rather than start with the TM or FM trims. That’s what I’m doing.
By the time I was done with adding the options to the base or adding to the Trial Master - the pricing was the same

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:11 PM
Reaction score
For even another perspective - a 2021 Toyota LC with 5k miles and a certified warranty is $94K. Nothing against the IG - but that is a good bench mark.
That will be a good benchmark against a second hand IG
that is also extremely low mileage on a 2-3 year old vehicle.
I would expect to see double that per year
This is a low mileage slightly modified 2021 model for sale in Australia
That is USD$125K
My brand new, fully specced Grenadier is looking pretty good at AUD$126K USD$83.4K
1684448018107.png
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id2XVNzBS2I

Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
that is also extremely low mileage on a 2-3 year old vehicle.
I would expect to see double that per year
I do maybe 3k miles per year on my vehicles, which makes this pill even harder to swallow :ROFLMAO:

FlyingTrotter

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m in the UK so seeing this as it’s a high intensity thread in the days after the price announcement

am I right that the pricing is causing a lot stateside to drop out

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I would say this - it depends on which GT2 you are referring to - the 2019 RS is insanely fast but actually more forgiving than its reputation. Clearly not the widow maker the '10 GT2 was - that car had a smile on it while it was trying to kill you - it would then go and kill your family and cut up your dog in front of you just for grins....
The earlier one. I haven't kept up with the latest. But they do have nanny aids as most of the very wealthy buyers aren't the drivers they think they are!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
$140kAUS is ~$93k USD, which is about in line with outfitted IG's in the USA. So, Aussie's aren't getting any special discount pricing.
Usually cars are 30-100% cheaper in the US compared to Australia. Primarily due to manufacturers trading margin for volume but also to compete in the heavily subsidised US car industry and relatively lower costs of production for US carmakers, at least compared to Europe. I suspect this means that INEOS is running on very tight margins and there just isn’t room for heavy discounts even for volume. US cars are also going to have more active safety equipment, extra airbags, AEB, lane keep assist etc I believe.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just priced out a US Defender 110 as close as possible to my Grenadier. $75K for Defender vs $85K for Grenadier. I will go with Grenadier.
Not the case here in Oz. Land Rover has more margin to discount in the US for volume than INEOS does I suspect as I said above. Larger volumes, less steel, better parts bargaining power for volume, more integrated supply chain.

Local time
Reaction score
I just specced out the exact build of Bronco my brother has, and it came out to $69,000. While cheaper, it is still in the ballpark of the Grenadier.

I recall my dad looking into LC200s back in 2017/2018. They were asking $84,000 back then, and so I just optioned out a similar spec current generation Sequoia TRD. it came to $86,000 (no, I did not check every box… far from it, really) and that doesn’t even have lockers.

While some say that you could buy X or Y vehicle and have so much $$$ left over, I think they may be looking at the base prices of those vehicles, and rarely does anyone buy the straight base vehicle.

I don’t think Ineos is horribly off here. Yes, I wanted it to be 5k less, but it’s still in the ballpark of acceptable looking at a host of other offerings.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly my point - the numbers I used would reflect a similar process that a bank would use for financing in most places, and those kinds of numbers are already in the area of the mega rich for financing alone - financing exists as a means of making things accessible/affordable for more buyers, but in this case, even with financing, it's only accessible to those who are mega wealthy.

I don't know of too many people who can afford to spend $136,000 cash on anything, let alone a car. The only ones I know who can tend to travel on private jets way more often than I ever will, and they are in that "mega rich" category. My meaning is, it's a very small number of folks who can afford this rig in Canada, and of those who can afford it, those who will use it how it's designed are scarce (and instead will be buying them to be 'seen' in them outside of the $10,000.00 per bottle nightclubs).

I actually think my American friends aren't as hard done by as it seems -- it's more expensive than we wanted/were promised in the USA, but I dare say not unreasonably so when compared to other vehicles that can do the same kinds of things. The closest "real" competition in my opinion from an engineering standpoint is actually the LC300, but I left that out of my analysis for a reason -- we haven't been able to buy new Land Cruisers in Canada in a dog's age. I think the same may be true now in the USA, but at least you have LC200s running around - we don't even have those up here.

In the USA, the Gren is pretty competitive with the LC too -- @Paachi your assessment is superb in your two posts and I agree with every word -- but in Canada, it's both priced proportionally too high to the competition, and the competition is less because we don't get certain vehicles up here in the frozen north.
I think you are exaggerating a bit. There is an enormous gulf between being able to comfortably pay cash for an IG and flying private. Most multimillionaires don‘t fly private

Local time
Reaction score
I just spaced out the exact build of Bronco my brother has, and it came out to $69,000. While cheaper, it is still in the ballpark of the Grenadier.

I recall my dad looking into LC200s back in 2017/2018. They were asking $84,000 back then, and so I just optioned out a similar spec current generation Sequoia TRD. it came to $86,000 (no, I did not check every box… far from it, really) and that doesn’t even have lockers.

While some say that you could buy X or Y vehicle and have so much $$$ left over, I think they may be looking at the base prices of those vehicles, and rarely does anyone buy the straight base vehicle.

I don’t think Ineos is horribly off here. Yes, I wanted it to be 5k less, but it’s still in the ballpark of acceptable looking at a host of other offerings.
Agreed. My GF just placed an order for a Jeep JLURX, $75k in similar configuration as I’d spec a Trialmaster. Just need to figure out how to get steelies on the damn thing

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
I’m in the UK so seeing this as it’s a high intensity thread in the days after the price announcement

am I right that the pricing is causing a lot stateside to drop out
Everything has gotten more dramatic over here since Harry and Meghan moved in.

ZEN_OWT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All the serious off road enthusiasts I know are going to build their own rigs, not buy a $100k SUV to take on the trails. The Grenadier isn't going to do any better offroad than a Wrangler or Gladiator.
Agree to disagree. I have a JK and a 4runner - both overbuilt and highly modified. The IG was next level in the test drive off-road and feels like a tank. It well exceeded my off road expectations. The high price tag is because the money is spent where it needs to be. To each their own, and I understand it might not be in everyone's budget. But I'm tired of car companies cheaping out and doing "trail" cars, when really they are made for the street and have to be upgraded before you can do some serious off roading.

Local time
Reaction score
The IG is being built for off-road enthusiasts that are serious about their passions and willing to pay for an over-built car that will last.
This is the epiphany I’ve had. When first announced, it was a basic for-Everyman utility vehicle. As delivered, you’re spot on. Unfortunately, I’m not that guy. I don’t need a $90k weekend toy. I have three motorcycles and don’t ride them enough, so the IG is not for me and that’s fine.

Local time
Reaction score
I did that because I want the steelies on basically a Fieldmaster. Can’t add premium audio when speccing up a base but you can’t add auxiliary battery to the FM. Price was essenti the same, no discount for starting from base

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
100% cheaper? That’s free, right? 🤣
🤣 fair cop. Probably should have been 30-100% more expensive. So not free, double the price in Australia compared to US.

Back
Top Bottom