The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Robert Pepper review coming

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
It gets a bit complicated ; the different springs at front for winch/bullbar , the bias when to shifting loads towards the rear/right vs left , moving stuff into the trailer/van.
I guess until people post detailed weighbridge figures , it's guesswork and the usual risk taking.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Another well crafted, in depth report as we have come to expect from Robert Pepper, which will of course be misconstrued and quoted out of context by the Facebook crowd.
I like that Robert's reviews are technical fact based, but when it comes to 4x4 vehicles in Australia with such partisan fans of specific manufacturers/models, direct comparisons would work a lot better to avoid giving the impression of damning with faint praise.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It gets a bit complicated ; the different springs at front for winch/bullbar , the bias when to shifting loads towards the rear/right vs left , moving stuff into the trailer/van.
I guess until people post detailed weighbridge figures , it's guesswork and the usual risk taking.
A lot of the guesses are a bit surprising.
I can see the reason for different spring rates if you add the winch because you permanently have a 30kg pendulum weight mounted in the very front of the vehicle.
If you option the roof rack I can't see why you would get different spring rates.
Even if they assumed you were going to put 400kg up there that is no different to adding 4 fat bastards into the vehicle.
Imagine picking up your mates from the pub and having to weigh them first
Sorry guys, I just have to change the springs before we can go.

Last edited:

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A good analysis again. Many of us, early on, were probably expecting 3,500 GVM - 1,000 payload meant a 2,500 car and that seemed about right for a big 4WD wagon. The eventual equation was a bit disappointing but, realistically, nobody has designed a car that operates well over a ton range of payload - e.g. mid size pickups like Hilux are pretty abominable without some load in the back.

However, most of us have also decided the payload is still good and already have strategies to work with it. For example, I plan to diet and lose 10kg so I can take another carton of beer but drinking beer will make me put on weight so I can’t fit the beer in anymore, but without beer I’ll lose weight so then I can fit the beer in… ok, it’s still a work in progress.🥵

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see how many people (our FB friends) bag out the grenadier as shit based on this video, without having a clue that their wagons are so much worse. Robert clarifying that is one thing, the great unwashed getting it is another.

So, the elephant in the room - should the IG have been given IFS/IRS to free up payload??

Runs and ducks for cover……😂

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Robert said he’s unsure why Australia got a 50kg GVM upgrade over the rest of the world. Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought it was entirely due to Ineos managing to get an agreement with the ATO to remove the luxury car tax. It saved most buyers around $11K.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Robert said he’s unsure why Australia got a 50kg GVM upgrade over the rest of the world. Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought it was entirely due to Ineos managing to get an agreement with the ATO to remove the luxury car tax. It saved most buyers around $11K.
I believe the 3550kg GVM was to class the vehicle as a medium commercial vehicle so it did not require safety tech such as lane departure and active braking. It probably helped with the LCT argument as well.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I worry for our American friends who will struggle with the 160kg load estimate Robert uses for 2x front seat occupants.
😉
I noticed far more over-weight "persons" around the local shopping centre than I did in my many work-related trips to the US over the years. The obesity rates in Western populations generally aren't all that different
Two persons in the front seats e.g. a 90-95kg bloke plus a 65-70kg sheila is probably a reasonable estimate.... 😉

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed far more over-weight "persons" around the local shopping centre than I did in my many work-related trips to the US over the years. The obesity rates in Western populations generally aren't all that different
Two persons in the front seats e.g. a 90-95kg bloke plus a 65-70kg sheila is probably a reasonable estimate.... 😉
Crikey
If my wife weighed 65-70kg she would be incredibly pissed off.
Then again if I weighed 90-95KG she would be extremely happy

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:33 AM
Reaction score
1000 steps for every beer should do it...or perhaps 1000 times around the Grenadier
I've lost 55# / 25 kg since May. I don't recommend my method, however. Hope I can keep it off, or better, keep losing weight with a more reasonable rate by regular exercise and healthy diet.

So, 25 kg is good for what, a couple of Jerry cans of petrol, an ARB air pump and pair of MaxTraxx?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:33 AM
Reaction score
I nearly resembled that remark. 150kg, anyway. 😟
Down to 121 this week.
Why do Grenadiers make you want to lose weight? Are we all getting in shape to man up to the Grenadier?
Down 36# / 16.33kg since I put in my reservation on 11/22/2022. Getting in shape to go back surfing at 71.
Carry On. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom