The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Robert Pepper review coming

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:33 PM
Reaction score
I think it is a bit nitpicky. Anyone wanting to regularly tackle gnarly tracks (those deep pocketed dudes) will get bigger tyres , a lift and maybe a sway bar disconnect.
Stock , it coped pretty well with a track I'd be loathe to tackle with a loaded Gren, esp with a RTT.
Too true. Unfortunately, those same spenders are big contributors to making tracks more gnarly in the first place. View the video as a demonstration of track damage and you see a purpose built vehicle barely shifting a pebble vs the others bouncing and spinning and making the holes that little bit deeper.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
e a purpose built vehicle barely shifting a pebble vs the others bouncing and spinning and making the holes that little bit deeper.
One of these things breaks less and wears out less!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
But as we know, real world "ground clearance" is as much about wheel articulation as how far the diff is off the ground. If your vehicle is dropping further into dips, you're getting closer to mother earth overall.
Being live axle you'd think that generally the IG would benefit in that regard as well.
The only way to test and compare the "real world" is to setup an artificial track and run a series of vehicles through.
It's like a "clinical trial". You remove as many variables as possible before submitting your conclusions to a panel of experts for peer review ;) Anything less than that is bordering on "gut feeling" and "seat of the pants" credibility.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The only way to test and compare the "real world" is to setup an artificial track and run a series of vehicles through.
It's like a "clinical trial". You remove as many variables as possible before submitting your conclusions to a panel of experts for peer review ;) Anything less than that is bordering on "gut feeling" and "seat of the pants" credibility.
Do you mean something like this??
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Rn0CyHh2g

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ng66xBRM4

Reactions: Max

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes , and remove any driver bias ;)
So let's bring it on with stock 4x4s in the same class as the Ineos.
Wait , how many solid axle new cars are in that class now???
That would be the Jeep Wrangler & Suzuki Jimny.
Neither a direct similar spec alternative to the Ineos Grenadier.
However both are an alternative.
Then again so is a Mahindra

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not available for sale anymore but if you could get one I suppose the GXL with central locking and a chrome grill would definitely be a good comparison.

View attachment 7821503
View attachment 7821504
Yes, whilst Robert says it is better than the 70, until there is a real world offroad test comparison between the two, then the 70 is overlander king.
Although finding a bog standard 76 series is probably going to be like looking for a unicorn. 😉

I do want to see the real world offroad and towing test between the IG, 300, Patrol and Defender though. These being the vehicles I would have looked at without the IG coming to market. That’d be real world for me.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, whilst Robert says it is better than the 70, until there is a real world offroad test comparison between the two, then the 70 is overlander king.
Although finding a bog standard 76 series is probably going to be like looking for a unicorn. 😉

I do want to see the real world offroad and towing test between the IG, 300, Patrol and Defender though. These being the vehicles I would have looked at without the IG coming to market. That’d be real world for me.
Most owners of the 70 series spend at least $30-50K making them livable.
As for the Tank, I think it has a place but really the stats aren't all that comparable.
The Hybrid has more power and torque but at very high rpm.
2,500kg towing capacity and a GCM of around 5,000kg compared to Grenadier 7,000kg
1690508965437.png

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So here we are...stuck with our Grenadier orders , and perfectly content!
Yep, gotta love that order, perfectly content as you say… if only we could take it for a spin and hear it purr… the paperwork is maybe just a mite less satisfying than the metal 🥴

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well, apart from the Footrest.:LOL:
And the speedo. 😉

Interesting I drove my daughters cx-30 today, it has a HUD and the info screen is about the same position as the IG. So I tested looking at the clock on the screen(where IG’s speedo is) and the HUD. I reckon it’s every bit as easy to look to the left as the HUD is, and actually found the HUD a little distracting, albeit you’d get used to that as well.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Most owners of the 70 series spend at least $30-50K making them livable.
As for the Tank, I think it has a place but really the stats aren't all that comparable.
The Hybrid has more power and torque but at very high rpm.
2,500kg towing capacity and a GCM of around 5,000kg compared to Grenadier 7,000kg
View attachment 7821509
I’m not sure how the Tank came into the equation (did someone mention it on a previous page??) it’s not comparable in any shape or form.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
I’m not sure how the Tank came into the equation (did someone mention it on a previous page??) it’s not comparable in any shape or form.
There's just some guy on Roberts page that keeps banging on about comparing to the Tank...Robert says it's not in the same league

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When I read 300 I thought you meant Tank 300
Right.

No. There’s the LC300, which may be discussed in the same context as an IG, with obvious pluses and minuses, and then there’s some Chinese toy car with a dinky engine and a future broken down on the side of the road somewhere.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Next review by Robert will be interesting. I think the rear axle load is very good but what about the front axle when you have a diesel, winch, roo bar and few extras via roof or meat pies... :D

Back
Top Bottom