The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering noise

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone;) I was finally able to pick up my grenadier yesterday🥳 Unfortunately, I noticed at home that my power steering makes a strange noise. I think it's not a normal noise, or? The filling level in the container was at maximum with the engine warm but switched off. The German instructions do not say exactly in which condition the oil should be checked. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to post a video but I always see the file is too big (7mb)
Thank you;)

DavidG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same high pitched noise that comes from the steering pump. It has gotten a little less noisy after 2,000 miles but definitely still there. The dealer told me it was normal :(

Vote:
Upvote 0

Dlucky

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
I have the same high pitched noise that comes from the steering pump. It has gotten a little less noisy after 2,000 miles but definitely still there. The dealer told me it was normal :(
Why do some make the noise and others don’t. That can’t be normal? Right?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
Why do some make the noise and others don’t. That can’t be normal? Right?
There seem to be more reports from the US about this issue, maybe its due to the diesel being a louder engine which may conceal or reduce the perceived noise of the pump in many of the ROW vehicles.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
I have a 2024 with the pump whine. Everyone comments on it. When I tell them Ineos says it’s “normal”, I get reactions that would make the Ineos marketing and sales teams sick. Ineos is making a mistake by not replacing these defective pumps immediately. I’m a lawyer in the USA and will be taking action against Ineos. It’s a shame because it’s a great vehicle otherwise. Ineos is being shortsighted in not fixing this for the early adopters.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
6:22 PM
Reaction score
I have a 2024 with the pump whine. Everyone comments on it. When I tell them Ineos says it’s “normal”, I get reactions that would make the Ineos marketing and sales teams sick. Ineos is making a mistake by not replacing these defective pumps immediately. I’m a lawyer in the USA and will be taking action against Ineos. It’s a shame because it’s a great vehicle otherwise. Ineos is being shortsighted in not fixing this for the early adopters.
Seriously each vehicle on the street a moving billboard for them.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
Seriously each vehicle on the street a moving billboard for them.
Although Ineos claims the power steering pump whine is “normal”, I find it curious that every demo vehicle I’ve driven or been around didn’t have the abnormal noise, including the loaner I got when the dealer was working on mine.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
Although Ineos claims the power steering pump whine is “normal”, I find it curious that every demo vehicle I’ve driven or been around didn’t have the abnormal noise, including the loaner I got when the dealer was working on mine.
We need to establish a qualitative measure of the sound.. for example “normal” may be something described like:

“with vehicle idling and driver side window down, and no immediate wall or vertical surfaces around the vehicle, the power steering whine should not be audible to the driver, as you turn the steering wheel slightly, side to side”

If going by above description, my vehicle fails the test. We need Ineos to articulate what is meant by normal

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
The whine on mine is very loud and distracting, particularly in parking lots. This decreases the driver’s attention to safety operate the vehicle around pedestrians. In my view, it substantially impairs the use, value and/or safety of the vehicle. This is not a noise a consumer would or should expect from a vehicle.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
The whine on mine is very loud and distracting, particularly in parking lots. This decreases the driver’s attention to safety operate the vehicle around pedestrians. In my view, it substantially impairs the use, value and/or safety of the vehicle. This is not a noise a consumer would or should expect from a vehicle.
how do you quantify the volume level? There are 3 states of the system that can be assessed while the vehicle is idling. How does your vehicle rate?
Idle State - no steering engagement for x (5-6sec) amount of seconds and the system deactivates
Triggered State + no steering input - Recent steering engagement triggers/awakens some component, and it may or may not not make an audible whine
Triggered State + active steering input - Steering wheel is moving. This may trigger additional whine that appears to be largely coherent / in-sync with the steering wheel movements.

UserIdle StateTriggered + No steering InputTrigger + Active Steering Input

HereinDaRockies

No Noise from outside or insideFrom driver seat, with window open, can hear a dentist drill like noise.From driver seat with window open, can hear whine of varying pitch, coinciding with the steering wheel movement.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@HereinDaRockies - How about we all use the same sound level meter, take readings at your three states, and post our individual values. I would think this will get some attention by Ineos.

Below is the sound meter app I have use as a reference for other projects.

IMG_8658.jpeg

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom