The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering noise

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone;) I was finally able to pick up my grenadier yesterday🥳 Unfortunately, I noticed at home that my power steering makes a strange noise. I think it's not a normal noise, or? The filling level in the container was at maximum with the engine warm but switched off. The German instructions do not say exactly in which condition the oil should be checked. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to post a video but I always see the file is too big (7mb)
Thank you;)

outono

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
Here is a recording of mine. The first half of the video shows the whine when the steering wheel is briefly tapped. The second half is moving the steering wheel back and forth.

The sound is the consistent when the engine is cold or hot, doesn't matter.

The video was recorded from here

IMG_7115.jpg

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
Here is a recording of mine. The first half of the video shows the whine when the steering wheel is briefly tapped. The second half is moving the steering wheel back and forth.

View attachment 7861186
Nice recording rig.
That is different to my MY23 and would get on my nerves.
Did you tick a dentist drill option?

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7861186
I can see why Ineos says the sound is normal. An annoying sound but it doesn't sound any different to any other 12v or 24v high load hydraulic gear pumps working. It would be interesting to fit a test gauge in the circuit and see the differences in working pressures between the noisy pumps and quieter pumps.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain Ineos' software validates most electronic components attached to the harness. That means you won't be able to just swap whatever you want into the vehicle and be on your way. A good example of this challenge is what @Tinki is going through with his inverter retrofit. He's got the whole thing wired up with Ineos parts, but the software won't let him make use of it because he's missing a module (or something else).
Is the part validated when used in a Wrangler or any other modern vehicle that utilizes it? If not, why not buy it and try it? It's not gonna catch fire and kill you. It's not like you're setting a 60yo claymore. For a 250 item you can return, all you have to lose is 2 hours time, to potentially gain 5 years of peace and quiet. I'm not saying it isnt bullshit you have to do that, but Ineos is telling you to go pound salt so that ship sailed and abandoned you on bullshit island. Apparently its up to you to swim off.

And just to do a mental reset here... 4 years ago this car was.... "Unlike every other car on the market, you can fix it all yourself!!"..... and now, I have a customer telling me Ineos is denying warranty on a defective part that's a common shade tree mechanic swap, but they are afraid to touch it because ONLY Ineos can fix it. What you're suggesting means there's no point in the manuals people are pineing for anyway. Without a laptop and a connection to Ineos, you're as dead as a Fisker owner.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can you snap a photo of the pump motor? Im curious if the sticker on it has a diff part # that mine.
You check and let us know. Mines at the dealer at the moment.

Attachments

• 92C1E03B-BDA2-4C43-815E-788A53AFE94B.jpeg
    92C1E03B-BDA2-4C43-815E-788A53AFE94B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 3A7E6DF7-DEC9-4B21-88D7-D817BDA125BD.jpeg
    3A7E6DF7-DEC9-4B21-88D7-D817BDA125BD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 7E448D79-FBB4-4E7D-BE52-1CE24326342B.jpeg
    7E448D79-FBB4-4E7D-BE52-1CE24326342B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
  • BAE38FE6-EB92-4C32-8D9D-6FDC8086AF06.jpeg
    BAE38FE6-EB92-4C32-8D9D-6FDC8086AF06.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
I can see why Ineos says the sound is normal. An annoying sound but it doesn't sound any different to any other 12v or 24v high load hydraulic gear pumps working. It would be interesting to fit a test gauge in the circuit and see the differences in working pressures between the noisy pumps and quieter pumps.
I've never heard a pump make that noise before. Damn, that's irritating and its just a recording. I bet dogs freak out when they hear that.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
You check and let us know. Mines at the dealer at the moment.
They don't even pay to have the part roll stamped with their own number like MB does. Peal the sticker off and see if there's an OEM number on it

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They don't even pay to have the part roll stamped with their own number like MB does. Peal the sticker off and see if there's an OEM number on it
Does this mean anything from underneath?

Attachments

• 9AAE4061-5BC8-4EEA-B2F3-4358FEAAAD13.jpeg
    9AAE4061-5BC8-4EEA-B2F3-4358FEAAAD13.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
Vote:
Upvote 0

outono

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I evaluated 2 other Grenadiers today, both with 2024 manufacturing dates. While each had a similar whining sound from their pump, neither were anywhere near as loud as mine is, though still annoyingly present.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
I evaluated 2 other Grenadiers today, both with 2024 manufacturing dates. While each had a similar whining sound from their pump, neither were anywhere near as loud as mine is, though still annoyingly present.
Might have been covered but is it possible that air has been introduced into the hydraulics for the pwr steering?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can confirm that the new 24 plate courtesy car I’ve got my driveway doesn’t have the squealing noise. So it’s definitely not normal. I’ve opened up the engine bay and the steering fluid still weeps out. The steering on this compared to mine is lot sharper, maybe a bit too sharp.
Is the steering sharper because the tyres are inflated to a higher pressure as seems many vehicles on delivery are overinflated for an unladen vehicle , so maybe the demo vehicles are overinflated to 🤔

Vote:
Upvote 0

outono

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might have been covered but is it possible that air has been introduced into the hydraulics for the pwr steering?
This is not cavitation, this is definitely electrical noise from the pump itself.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is the steering sharper because the tyres are inflated to a higher pressure as seems many vehicles on delivery are overinflated for an unladen vehicle , so maybe the demo vehicles are overinflated to 🤔
No 37 psi, I checked. It’s on Bridgestones, where as mines on Ko2. Both 17 inch. I’m thinking, someone posted a picture of the steering gear previously and there is a screw with -/+ underneath it. I wonder if this it to adjust sharpness.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or it could be the tyres which are sharper on the road.

Vote:
Upvote 0

armydiver

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I know people are going to call me 'crazy' but I'm going to throw this out and if the crazy fits, so be it. I think I'm a victim of mass hysteria.

Not always, but more often than not, I get a loud-ish sort of whiny sound that I associated with the PS pump. After all, everyone has a case of the loud PS pump, right? The sound kind of reminds me of the vacuum at the car wash. The sound emanates from directly behind the passenger side headlight (LHD) which is where the PS pump is located. So far, so good. Everyone has it, so what...

Ok, here is the crazy part, in my case I'm pretty sure it isn't the PS pump. However, because there is SO MUCH TALK about PS pump sounds, I just assumed my noise, given its location, was the PS pump. But, when I turn off the AC compressor, the sound goes away. Turn the AC back on and the sound returns. How could that be, the two systems are not related. I now believe what I thought was the PS pump, is actually the electric fan attached to the back of the small radiator below the PS pump.

I'm not saying that PS pumps don't make noise. I'm just saying, I assumed my sound was PS pump noise and it isn't. I may be a lone dolt but there may be others out there laboring under the same misconception.
Mine is doing the exact same thing, turn off a/c and it goes away immediately. Have you asked the dealer yet?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, AC fans have their own small turbine sound. When I have the AC off I don’t really notice the PS motor unless windows down and near to a wall the sound can bounce off.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is doing the exact same thing, turn off a/c and it goes away immediately. Have you asked the dealer yet?

Kind of interesting that the INTERNAL fan that blows into the cabin gets really loud and sounds bad at the highest setting…. Does IG have a fan problem?

I would think the AC fan would be a fairly easy fix?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Bigsur21

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
New to this thread and to this forum. Picked up a brand new Field Master this past Saturday and already cannot stand the annoying dentist drill

View attachment 7861186
Have you gotten any clarity on this issue or has it gotten better? I am in the same boat the day after driving it off the lot.

Vote:
Upvote 0

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the Jeep wrangler has a similar steering set up and components. It also has a ‘whine’ to it, but no where near the level on the IG. There has to be a better component out there? How does a Jeep and IG pump compare capacity wise?

Of all the component parts out there, I’d say that this is the one that I’d like to replace the most.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom