The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering noise

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone;) I was finally able to pick up my grenadier yesterday🥳 Unfortunately, I noticed at home that my power steering makes a strange noise. I think it's not a normal noise, or? The filling level in the container was at maximum with the engine warm but switched off. The German instructions do not say exactly in which condition the oil should be checked. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to post a video but I always see the file is too big (7mb)
Thank you;)

IdahoGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
After significant whining coming from the nut behind the wheel, my dealer replaced the power steering pump to try to reduce the whining. It got about half as loud and overall higher pitched, which makes it sound thinner. Took it from completely obnoxious to quite annoying. I'm reasonably satisfied for now, but it still sounds worse than a new Wrangler, and those sound terrible.

Still seems like a bad design and/or component, but there's also a difference between some that are worse and some that are better.

Vote:
Upvote 0

jsm0730

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
My dealer just keeps telling me the sound is normal, it is specific to Grenadier and the X5, but I’m confident I didn’t hear that sound in the one I test drove.

Vote:
Upvote 0

outono

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
New to this thread and to this forum. Picked up a brand new Field Master this past Saturday and already cannot stand the annoying dentist drill

Have you gotten any clarity on this issue or has it gotten better? I am in the same boat the day after driving it off the lot.
No progress. I haven't had a chance to get it down to the dealer to discuss, but as I posted before, it's not really a "problem" so they likely won't address it. Our best bet for now is complaining to HQ about it and looking to an acoustic jacket, which is something im hoping get moving in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if these sort of pumps overheat easily? I have a vendor that can make a custom acoustic jacket to shut this thing up, but I worry about overheating it...

Vote:
Upvote 0

fredp45069

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_5021.jpegNo progress. I haven't had a chance to get it down to the dealer to discuss, but as I posted before, it's not really a "problem" so they likely won't address it. Our best bet for now is complaining to HQ about it and looking to an acoustic jacket, which is something im hoping get moving in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if these sort of pumps overheat easily? I have a vendor that can make a custom acoustic jacket to shut this thing up, but I worry about overheating it...
No progress. I haven't had a chance to get it down to the dealer to discuss, but as I posted before, it's not really a "problem" so they likely won't address it. Our best bet for now is complaining to HQ about it and looking to an acoustic jacket, which is something im hoping get moving in a couple of weeks.

Mine also has terrible noise along with troubling power steering error messages.

Attachments

• IMG_5855.jpeg
    IMG_5855.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Vote:
Upvote 0

Michaelandthebees

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:32 AM
Reaction score
Mine is doing the exact same thing, turn off a/c and it goes away immediately. Have you asked the dealer yet?
Hi,

My Grenadier is now 9 months old. It runs well but it has 3 known issues. One is an accepted issue, one is not and one is awaiting a resolution.

1. The very loud PS noise that is regarded as a standard noise that the PS makes - especially noticeable at low speeds ( think 4WD and slower urban driving). It is a shocker - except if you have lost your high frequency hearing.
2. A high pitched whistle associated with the Air Conditioner fan. The latter is a recognised known issue requiring resolution - and my dealer tells me multiple attempts at fixes have as yet not resolved it.
In addition
3. Mine carries a metal to metal vibration under acceleration behind the centre console - most likely the insulation panels. Awaiting resolution!

Vote:
Upvote 0

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was talking the with INeos people at the show last weekend in CO. I told them that I personally have made peace with the steering whine. The Jeep has a similar whine, but no where near as loud. What I did tell them is that the whine is probably costing them business. My wife first instinct was that there was something wrong with the vehicle- it is that loud. If when people are test driving them, or are around them when running- I wonder how many people, especially spouses, put the kibosh on it because of teh noise. I know my wife would have.

The AC fan is just because they went cheap. My BBQ smoker got a fan upgrade and it went from jet engine to nearly silent. PRoblem is that under-dash HVAC items are usually really expensive to repair- ala my 2004 JGC AV/HEAT splitter door.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
I was talking the with INeos people at the show last weekend in CO. I told them that I personally have made peace with the steering whine. The Jeep has a similar whine, but no where near as loud. What I did tell them is that the whine is probably costing them business. My wife first instinct was that there was something wrong with the vehicle- it is that loud. If when people are test driving them, or are around them when running- I wonder how many people, especially spouses, put the kibosh on it because of teh noise. I know my wife would have.

The AC fan is just because they went cheap. My BBQ smoker got a fan upgrade and it went from jet engine to nearly silent. PRoblem is that under-dash HVAC items are usually really expensive to repair- ala my 2004 JGC AV/HEAT splitter door.
Did the Ineos guys acknowledge the whine is present? I agree that spouses notice it - my wife says it's the only thing that annoys her about the vehicle.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

My Grenadier is now 9 months old. It runs well but it has 3 known issues. One is an accepted issue, one is not and one is awaiting a resolution.

1. The very loud PS noise that is regarded as a standard noise that the PS makes - especially noticeable at low speeds ( think 4WD and slower urban driving). It is a shocker - except if you have lost your high frequency hearing.
2. A high pitched whistle associated with the Air Conditioner fan. The latter is a recognised known issue requiring resolution - and my dealer tells me multiple attempts at fixes have as yet not resolved it.
In addition
3. Mine carries a metal to metal vibration under acceleration behind the centre console - most likely the insulation panels. Awaiting resolution!
I had a vibration behind the glove box area. Turns out the AC pipes were rattling against each other. Dealer padded them out. Behind the centre panel next to the footwell.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
5:32 AM
Reaction score

agree - have lost count of the amount of times people in the work car park have told me there’s something wrong with my engine. TBH I probably wouldn’t have bought one if I knew it sounded like that. Dealers saying they’ve reported it but don’t seem fussed about doing anything about it

Vote:
Upvote 0

Quartermaster

Quatermaster Owner
Local time
9:32 PM
Reaction score
I had a vibration behind the glove box area. Turns out the AC pipes were rattling against each other. Dealer padded them out. Behind the centre panel next to the footwell.
Was that in the cabin or in the engine bay?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Dlucky

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The steering pump noise is starting to piss me off, probably because I’ve also picked up a squeak when going over bumps at low speed. So if I’m turning into parking lot that has a rough patch of pavement all you hear is the turbine whine from the pump punctuated by squeaks. Not really confidence inspiring. The squeak I have a separate post about, but that pump makes a noise that an $85k vehicle shouldn’t make. I mentioned it when I was last at my dealer, they have tried swapping PS pumps and it is all a matter of degrees on noise it seems. Like I said to them, it may be ‘normal’ but first time my wife was out of the car, she thought there was something seriously wrong with the car.

I’d gladly pay a couple of hundred bucks to get that sucker to be quiet..
Just picked up mine last week. The sound is terrible and can’t possibly be normal. Let us know if the dealer gets it resolved.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Nocrays

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
agree - have lost count of the amount of times people in the work car park have told me there’s something wrong with my engine. TBH I probably wouldn’t have bought one if I knew it sounded like that. Dealers saying they’ve reported it but don’t seem fussed about doing anything about it
Keep onto them Peter. I was lucky enough (or unlucky) to have a loan car for 6 months that was perfect. When my vehicle arrived I started having issues which were a significant departure from what I had experienced with the first vehicle.

1. I had the PS pump replaced as it was making a significant amount of noise and now it is quiet. The Power steering pump should be only "just" audible when you are outside at the front of the vehicle when its running. Unless you're listening for it, you shouldn't hear it inside the vehicle.

2. I also have a vibration under load at about 105kph (1800rpm). Not the metal rattle, but a vibration enough to be annoying. Ineos say they "all do that to varying degrees" but that is a rubbish answer. This became worse when they replaced the TC (as I could not shift into low). Still havent got the bottom of this.

Still happy with the vehicle despite the issues.

Vote:
Upvote 0

jcooper

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All - Just picked up my Grenadier this past weekend and joined this forum this morning after finding this thread. So far it's been fantastic to drive minus the high pitched whining that comes with anytime I touch the steering wheel. I plan to reach out to the dealer to discuss what it is and how we can hopefully decrease this noise. Will keep this group posted with any updates on my end.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Dlucky

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All - Just picked up my Grenadier this past weekend and joined this forum this morning after finding this thread. So far it's been fantastic to drive minus the high pitched whining that comes with anytime I touch the steering wheel. I plan to reach out to the dealer to discuss what it is and how we can hopefully decrease this noise. Will keep this group posted with any updates on my end.
Please do, dealers normal doesn’t mean it’s ok.

Vote:
Upvote 0

jsm0730

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
1. I had the PS pump replaced as it was making a significant amount of noise and now it is quiet. The Power steering pump should be only "just" audible when you are outside at the front of the vehicle when its running. Unless you're listening for it, you shouldn't hear it inside the vehicle.

Would love to know what you said to your dealer to get them to replace the PS pump? So far mine has been sticking with the “it’s normal” but now it is starting to get louder.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom