The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New improved steering! - diffrent Box + less play Late 2023/2024 cars

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
Something to be aware of, not sure I actually 100% believe it though, I had a check engine light and limp mode a few weeks ago (cleared with a restart) and when I got the agent to check the codes I was informed that it occurred because it registered accelerator and brake input at the same time. Firstly I am pretty sure that since I was doing 110kph overtaking a truck at the time that I didn’t touch the brake, so if that was the case it was a spurious signal. And secondly others have done similar to you, albeit at slow speeds and not had this happen. But be aware that there is a risk that brake and acceleration at the same time may trigger limp mode.
My 2003 VW TDI 5-spd will prioritize brake over accelerator if pushed simultaneously.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
Well I have driven it!!!!! - chassis number 5700+ has a change (maybe a bit earlier as well)

It seems to be tighter in the middle section of the box, the whole feel on the road is tighter, I did not count the lock to lock (oops forgot to do that). It's better and feels less vague, not an huge change but defiantly better. The self centring issue is not very different but again maybe a minor improvement.

Had a look under the bonnet, It was raining so did not get on the ground to look underneath, nothing to see the damper looks the same. So I suspect its a change in the box itself, It would be interesting to see if there is a new part number for the box.

So if anyone else wants to test it It's at Ineos Oxford. Lewis has been very helpful and although the showroom is not fully up and running yet definitely very knowledgeable and great to deal with.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
Well I have driven it!!!!! - chassis number 5700+ has a change (maybe a bit earlier as well)

It seems to be tighter in the middle section of the box, the whole feel on the road is tighter, I did not count the lock to lock (oops forgot to do that). It's better and feels less vague, not an huge change but defiantly better. The self centring issue is not very different but again maybe a minor improvement.

Had a look under the bonnet, It was raining so did not get on the ground to look underneath, nothing to see the damper looks the same. So I suspect its a change in the box itself, It would be interesting to see if there is a new part number for the box.

So if anyone else wants to test it It's at Ineos Oxford. Lewis has been very helpful and although the showroom is not fully up and running yet definitely very knowledgeable and great to deal with.
Thanks Joejet for the feedback - a very interesting change.

By "tighter", do you mean that there was less play in the steering wheel before the direction of the car changed; i.e. any movement of the steering wheel impacted the direction of the car- or have I misunderstood you?

cheers

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

By "tighter", do you mean that there was less play in the steering wheel before the direction of the car changed; i.e. any movement of the steering wheel impacted the direction of the car- or have I misunderstood you?

cheers
yes less play, but maybe the ratio in the centre area of the box is closer together, basically a variable ratio box. It would be good to get feedback of others as I am so used to old defenders they all feel great to me anyway!

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score

cheers
There was zero play in the den IG I drove on Sunday for over an hour. Didn’t feel anything “off” on-road and off-road.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There was zero play in the den IG I drove on Sunday for over an hour. Didn’t feel anything “off” on-road and off-road.
Hopefully some others can drive it soon and describe it, I'm not the best at that, I also looked under the bonnet but did not take a pic however I could see a label on the damper and looking at mine again maybe the damper is also in a different position as mine seems to be under the arm form the top. (Wish I took the pic then I could be sure)

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
Yeah, and it is an unusual pump/assist setup, I think electro-hydraulic?
Ive noticed, in several cars, that if you are stationary at lights, and you turn the wheel maybe 20-30 degrees and hold it, so that there’s a bit of compression in the rubber and steering system, there’s a periodic twitch of the wheel. Quite peculiar. Never seems to happen underway, but not something ive experienced in any other vehicle.
so it could be a new pump, an uprated pump, or a slightly different setup of pump/assist. Or option d, all of above, or e, none of above… gotta love idle speculation!
I get this “twitch” in mine… but I’ve felt it in other cars too… so never paid any attention to it.

Local time
Reaction score
I get this “twitch” in mine… but I’ve felt it in other cars too… so never paid any attention to it.
Yes I hate that. Is particularly awful in rack and pinion vehicles with the auto shop/start activated.
If the wheels are even slightly turned, there is all kinds of feedback to the steering wheel when the motor starts.

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully some others can drive it soon and describe it, I'm not the best at that, I also looked under the bonnet but did not take a pic however I could see a label on the damper and looking at mine again maybe the damper is also in a different position as mine seems to be under the arm form the top. (Wish I took the pic then I could be sure)
I could drive up to the dealer tomorrow and look.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I could drive up to the dealer tomorrow and look.
I was under the impression that the one that we're discussing was in the UK and the latest edition, whereas the USA dealer demos were the PTO vehicles, which probably would have the first gen steering boxes. Maybe they swapped them out? No idea, but doubtful.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
I think US cars start in the 6000s? This was late 5000s, no idea how far back this goes, but once US cars started there was an in principle move from 23.5 to 24 versioning. Sounds like there’s been more of a continuous tweak than a version change, excepting of course the safety tech and subwoofer for the US market.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the change is the 23.5 version. I guess that the non prototype cars in the USA will already have the change. But no idea for sure.

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the one that we're discussing was in the UK and the latest edition, whereas the USA dealer demos were the PTO vehicles, which probably would have the first gen steering boxes. Maybe they swapped them out? No idea, but doubtful.
The dealer demo's in the US aren't PTO AFAIK, they're production minus the latest software updates. I've driven both and I'd be surprised otherwise.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The dealer demo's in the US aren't PTO AFAIK, they're production minus the latest software updates. I've driven both and I'd be surprised otherwise.
They are not "production" technically; they are still considered some sort of pre-production hybrid, and are of varying degrees of "production" level (some have bits and bobs that others do not, that make then more like a MY23 or more like a MY24, but are truly neither one). This applies to the Ineos corporate demos, dealer demos (which are still owned by Ineos), and media vehicles

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They are not "production" technically; they are still considered some sort of pre-production hybrid, and are of varying degrees of "production" level (some have bits and bobs that others do not, that make then more like a MY23 or more like a MY24, but are truly neither one). This applies to the Ineos corporate demos, dealer demos (which are still owned by Ineos), and media vehicles
Ah ok, that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom