The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New improved steering! - diffrent Box + less play Late 2023/2024 cars

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
Whatever, I’m trying to get a test drive before I go away, I will post more once I have driven it, and confirm if it’s different or not. I was told it was though. I don’t know if it’s been announced yet so I will try and find out more. I heard there is also a new doorlock and door seals which will be retrofitted to all cars. (I did break the news on new firmware release + all the suspension setup - so believe this or not).

Just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are using a different steering pump setup, which would affect the feel, but not really change the dynamics (and probably not do too much to the centering) . It would be very surprising if they changed the steering system from the existing reticulating ball, but who knows?

I do think that, much as we owners adjust quickly, that the steering feel is a big issue when Ineos get past advance orders, and into the space where people make their decision based on a test drive. Lots of people who may have a valid equal preference for another car will not like their first hour or more of grenadier driving, compared to other cars.

Thanks for the heads up joejet, and looking forward to your impressions, thanks for sharing info!

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
Whatever, I’m trying to get a test drive before I go away, I will post more once I have driven it, and confirm if it’s different or not. I was told it was though. I don’t know if it’s been announced yet so I will try and find out more. I heard there is also a new doorlock and door seals which will be retrofitted to all cars. (I did break the news on new firmware release + all the suspension setup - so believe this or not).
Hi joejet, when you take the test drive, try and get photos of the new steering set up and the original so we can compare. Thanks in advance. DaBull

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe they will option up a "city" steering box and a "rugged" version.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't even notice an issue with the steering after the first hour of the first day.
My Diesel takes off extremely well (for a 3 tonne diesel) but on a couple of occasions when pulling onto highway from standstill I have used left foot brake and right foot light rev on accelerator to spool up the turbo. this removes the small turbo lag.
As the diesel has twin sequential compound turbos it is easy to spin up the first turbo at low revs.
Something to be aware of, not sure I actually 100% believe it though, I had a check engine light and limp mode a few weeks ago (cleared with a restart) and when I got the agent to check the codes I was informed that it occurred because it registered accelerator and brake input at the same time. Firstly I am pretty sure that since I was doing 110kph overtaking a truck at the time that I didn’t touch the brake, so if that was the case it was a spurious signal. And secondly others have done similar to you, albeit at slow speeds and not had this happen. But be aware that there is a risk that brake and acceleration at the same time may trigger limp mode.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are using a different steering pump setup, which would affect the feel, but not really change the dynamics (and probably not do too much to the centering) . It would be very surprising if they changed the steering system from the existing reticulating ball, but who knows?

I do think that, much as we owners adjust quickly, that the steering feel is a big issue when Ineos get past advance orders, and into the space where people make their decision based on a test drive. Lots of people who may have a valid equal preference for another car will not like their first hour or more of grenadier driving, compared to other cars.

Thanks for the heads up joejet, and looking forward to your impressions, thanks for sharing info!
I suspect that’s more likely, a different pump, apart from anything elelse the existing one is very noisy. But I agree that the one criticism that comes up regularly from motoring journos who only have short drives and will
Also impact short test drives is comments on steering. Those of us who have done some driving mostly adapt quickly but it may well impact sales if not addressed.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
Great point. We’ve heard stories of pump failures (esp the early issues Logsplitter had) so maybe that’s the change that is really happening.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great point. We’ve heard stories of pump failures (esp the early issues Logsplitter had) so maybe that’s the change that is really happening.
Yeah, and it is an unusual pump/assist setup, I think electro-hydraulic?
Ive noticed, in several cars, that if you are stationary at lights, and you turn the wheel maybe 20-30 degrees and hold it, so that there’s a bit of compression in the rubber and steering system, there’s a periodic twitch of the wheel. Quite peculiar. Never seems to happen underway, but not something ive experienced in any other vehicle.
so it could be a new pump, an uprated pump, or a slightly different setup of pump/assist. Or option d, all of above, or e, none of above… gotta love idle speculation!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That "twitch" happens whilst driving my daughter in law's 2002 MB 320ML.
Never found a reason why, though the car is chock full of sensors.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Something to be aware of, not sure I actually 100% believe it though, I had a check engine light and limp mode a few weeks ago (cleared with a restart) and when I got the agent to check the codes I was informed that it occurred because it registered accelerator and brake input at the same time. Firstly I am pretty sure that since I was doing 110kph overtaking a truck at the time that I didn’t touch the brake, so if that was the case it was a spurious signal. And secondly others have done similar to you, albeit at slow speeds and not had this happen. But be aware that there is a risk that brake and acceleration at the same time may trigger limp mode.
Actually I dd have the little yellow triangle in bottom right of display come on briefly last night

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
In aviation we call this Short Take Off if you're on a short runway. (y)
(Although we have both feet on the brakes and the right hand on the throttle)

Deep in your heart, you're pilot, man!
I don't drive fast, I fly low...

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's entertaining hearing what foreigners have to say about our politics lol
That‘s nice; from our perspective it’s bloody frightening. Regardless of anyone’s left or right political opinions. How can millions of smart people not notice narcissists and psychopaths seeking power? Not just in the US, theres several examples, but you are leading in this…
We are rooting for you guys, admittedly with more than a note of desperation… it’s important for the world that democracy itself stays healthy and able to re-set through crises; there’s problems aplenty everywhere, but some of the loudest ‘solutions’ will accelerate dramatically in the wrong direction.
Apologies, back to excellent cars…

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's entertaining hearing what foreigners have to say about our politics lol
Unfortunately they‘re not just your politics: the world is a pretty small place these days. +1 James comment above, the attention is driven by shared interests rather than any appetite to stir the pot.

To the topic though, and perhaps for US buyers who haven’t had time with their vehicle, the obsession with the steering is super puzzling (for me, at least). It’s an adjustment from a typical SUV but so is the 2,900kgs. I’m a bit swervy when I get back in the Disco Sport so clearly one adapts. Near GVM on dirt at speed and the Grenadier is steady as a rock... noting that’s not how everyone will use the vehicle.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Unfortunately they‘re not just your politics: the world is a pretty small place these days. +1 James comment above, the attention is driven by shared interests rather than any appetite to stir the pot.
If it takes an earworm to get off politics , I'm happy to contribute :)
save.png

Back
Top Bottom