The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New improved steering! - diffrent Box + less play Late 2023/2024 cars

Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
We literally spent months driving these vehicles with two foot driving, with no errors registered because of it. Granted, it was never done on the highway, but on technical terrain, there are no problems with it; in fact, in early Ineos talks it is specifically brought up as a feature compared to some other brands that cut throttle immediately
Good to hear. Were you in "off-road mode"? If so, then it is likely that off-road mode overrides the issue. I've never had an off-road vehicle with "modes" - I guess you can't get away from it anymore.

Months driving it? Were you one of the three people who did the "Way Home" or whatever Ineos called that?

But without a "launch-mode" this means you can't use the Gren as your track vehicle ;)

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
Good to hear. Were you in "off-road mode"? If so, then it is likely that off-road mode overrides the issue. I've never had an off-road vehicle with "modes" - I guess you can't get away from it anymore.

Months driving it? Were you one of the three people who did the "Way Home" or whatever Ineos called that?
I was a pro driver on the US PTO2 tour; and this was both with and without off-road mode

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
I believe the steering of this thread has returned to center, but let me just throw out a quick reminder we should avoid politics, religion, and if a hotdog is a sandwich.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Krabby (with mod hat on 😉)
I’d rather be center than right or left 😅😅

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
Might it be something as simple as fixing the steering rod boots? I recall people had wonky fittings in the early deliveries.

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Two-foot driving in an auto-transmission is pretty much essential for technical terrain.
I don't 2 foot drive in my Rubicon with its much lower crawl ratio and more instant throttle response and bitey brake. After driving the Grenadier I realize, with its much smoother input responses and 2.5 transfer case ratio (a higher ratio which I believe I'll prefer for overlanding), 2 foot driving will be a necessity.

Local time
Reaction score
That‘s nice; from our perspective it’s bloody frightening. Regardless of anyone’s left or right political opinions. How can millions of smart people not notice narcissists and psychopaths seeking power? Not just in the US, theres several examples, but you are leading in this…
We are rooting for you guys, admittedly with more than a note of desperation… it’s important for the world that democracy itself stays healthy and able to re-set through crises; there’s problems aplenty everywhere, but some of the loudest ‘solutions’ will accelerate dramatically in the wrong direction.
Apologies, back to excellent cars…
Wow.
Again, someone commenting not on politics itself, but on personality.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
We literally spent months driving these vehicles with two foot driving, with no errors registered because of it. Granted, it was never done on the highway, but on technical terrain, there are no problems with it; in fact, in early Ineos talks it is specifically brought up as a feature compared to some other brands that cut throttle immediately
as I said, I am not 100% sure I believe it and I am almost sure I didn’t actually touch the brake. However whether or not it was me or some kind of spurious signal if that actually was what caused it, potentially it is speed dependent. Usually if you are two foot driving off road it is at low speeds and I was doing 114kph on the clock, 110 gps.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might it be something as simple as fixing the steering rod boots? I recall people had wonky fittings in the early deliveries.
The ‘wonky’ boots apparently are intended to be fitted that way, or at least thats my memory of how it turned out; its somewhere in these threads…

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't 2 foot drive in my Rubicon with its much lower crawl ratio and more instant throttle response and bitey brake. After driving the Grenadier I realize, with its much smoother input responses and 2.5 transfer case ratio (a higher ratio which I believe I'll prefer for overlanding), 2 foot driving will be a necessity.
The benefit of 2 foot driving isn't just for smoothness, but also because it effectively acts as a mechanical diff lock to limit wheel spin and send power to the traction wheel

Local time
Reaction score
I have very little experience driving an auto transmission, but we got a 4-Runner for my wife a couple of years ago (the first auto either of us has ever owned). We don't wheel that car very hard, and have never needed to two-foot drive. Our hardest wheeling was done in my 4-door Rubicon, which was on a 2-inch lift with 35s, re-geared to 4.56 in the axles. That also had the 4:1 transfer case, and it was a dream on steep rocky trails - which is most of the off-roading we do. Now I'm in a lifted Tacoma on 33s, and every time we get on the trails, I miss the Jeep - for its size, for the 35-inch tires, and for its transfer case.

I'm not surprised to hear that you didn't need to two-foot drive in your Rubicon. Nothing that you can buy off the showroom floor beats that transfer case for steep technical trails, and with lockers, you don't have to worry about trying to brake a spinning wheel with two-foot driving. But yeah, for more general use, the 2.5:1 will probably be better. Hope you enjoy your Grenadier!

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was able to go on an extended drive today with a mix of surface streets, highway, and offroad.

I get the whole steering bit but now. It’s a tad different but quickly adjusted to it after a few miles. If you’re used to a late model Rover, or any modern vehicle really, there’s a bit of a transition. But once learned, it doesn’t not detract from the driving experience. It’s neither good or bad IMO, it’s just whatever ever you’re used to.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting information, thank you for sharing.

I am ok with the steering but on balance would be even happier with a set up that gave the best of on and off road feel. I hope IG do consider giving early adopters access to the new set up since I suspect it is our real world experience that has given them feedback to improve the vehicle. I appreciate there is a limit to what early adopters can expect and that cars typically improve over time hence I am happy not to demand every new enhancement, it’s just that steering is pretty fundamental

While IG consider doing the right thing on any steering improvements the other thing I would welcome them “improving” is the pull away from standstill response for my diesel engined vehicle. Surely there is an ecu adjustment that means the car responds promptly and energetically to throttle input from standstill. I don’t know whether the issue is the auto box sorting itself out or whether there needs to be an ecu tweak but something changed would be great. At the moment I cannot get going quick enough to actually take advantage of the breaks in oncoming traffic that I should be able to access. There seems to be an excessive (it feels like several seconds but I’m suspect it is not that much) delay which makes using the car on the road less rewarding than it should be
Utlimate9 (formerly known as iDrive) do a throttle controller - you can pick different profiles. I have installed the EVC-X version (model 401 the BMW All Models option fits) - Adaptive Control is pretty good to counter this. (Ultimate9 is a bit too untamed to use) and Factory setting back to original is great for off road. Have yet to play fully with other modes (Eco, Anti-Slip, but there is a lock mode too to provide a measure of AntiTheft).

It installs off the accelerator plate (helps to remove the plate with the single screw to fit it, and a bit of work chasing the cable through to the dash).

Attachments

• tempImage5vA65m.jpg
    tempImage5vA65m.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 38

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe the steering of this thread has returned to center, but let me just throw out a quick reminder we should avoid politics, religion, and if a hotdog is a sandwich.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Krabby (with mod hat on 😉)
Well, since it wasn't addressed, I'll just say that Die Hard IS a Christmas movie! ;) Fight me. No, don't. Steer this thread back to the gearbox.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi joejet, when you take the test drive, try and get photos of the new steering set up and the original so we can compare. Thanks in advance. DaBull
I'm test driving at Rusnak on Sunday - tell me what you want a picture of and I can get that.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm test driving at Rusnak on Sunday - tell me what you want a picture of and I can get that.
There is nothing different on the dealer demo vehicles (steering wise) from the PTO2 vehicles everyone had a chance to drive earlier in the year.

the post he was replying to said that their dealer (not in the US) said something had been changed on vehicles just now arriving

Back
Top Bottom