The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NATO Plug,Socket

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:59 PM
Reaction score
I suppose, the socket is rated 100-500A, somewhere you even find 1000A ratings.

The cost differential is only short term. MIL grade outlasts consumer or industrial grade by far. The NATO plugs / sockets will be trouble free over the lifetime of the vehicle, as proven by armies across the world. Can't see that for the Anderson gear..

I keep it with Dieter Rams and Jonathan Ives "form follows function"..
Personally I’m going with what Ineos supply using the built for purpose and form follows function analogies. But I guess the Australia’s will go with what they are used to or what is readily available at the right price.
I guess we need to know the fuse rating of this circuit before we can decide it’s uses such as for jump leads, other than for the removable winch,
For jump lead purposes i am going to be using the live post under the bonnet as intended by Ineos.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I keep wondering about those theoretical values.

In practise, the jump leads in the picture were supplied with a 15m coach ex works. They did the job for the bus no problem from what I know - and have certainly done it for me for the past five years.

View attachment 7811758

We jump started anything with them. Once, a 3l BMW diesel wouldn't want to fire up and the jump leads were used for about five minutes, more the less continuously, until they got the engine running.

Cables are 50mm2 and 2m in length.

Jump starting a small engine draws what, 200-300A..?..the 2kw starter motor of the BMW was more like 400-500A I guess, and a truck/bus engine starter can be inxs of 1000A I´d say.

After a few minutes of starting, the cables got a bit warm, ts it...

Running a winch of a NATO socket is equally uneventful. Done that for ten years in the sand, without a single failure..like this Ramsey-type 5000lb worm gear winch.

View attachment 7811765

The "NATO wiring" saves a lot of headaches and money in my book. What has been good for the military for decades, will outlast any consumer or even industrial grade stuff.

Personally I can't understand the desire for conversions to Anderson, once you are used/familiar with NATO, you´d probably want to convert your Anderson gear to NATO rather then vice versa.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Anderson was originally a product for industrial applications and was only later adapted by enthusiasts for automotive use..?

I know, there are a lot of trailers in certain parts of the world with Anderson. Well, maybe they all get converted, eventually...:). After all, you guys are getting used to the 13-pin trailer sockets too...
Those are exactly the jumper cables i am after !!! If i cannot find a pair i will just chop up a new pair and stick a nato plug at the end !

Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
Those are exactly the jumper cables i am after !!! If i cannot find a pair i will just chop up a new pair and stick a nato plug at the end !

You better, they cost an arm and a leg, $250-400, or more, depending on length and diameter, like those in 35mm

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
that is interesting !!! I will have a look see what i can come up with ! :) thnx . Maybe surplus auctions might have some …

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s what we did 15 years ago! Plus an NATO plug under the drivers seat of the Defender to provide an extra short cable to the battery.

Burki

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Check out post #33 in this thread. Cable is 50 mm2.
post#33 says only that the NATO socket CAN be wired with max. 50mm² cabling. Hopefully the Grenny has internally a cabling with 50mm² to the NATO socket.
Background of question: I will install an outside 19" rack with a broadcast transmitter and an AC 230Volt inverter with 1,5kW
And for 1,5kW I need at least 50mm² on the 12Volt side

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
post#33 says only that the NATO socket CAN be wired with max. 50mm² cabling. Hopefully the Grenny has internally a cabling with 50mm² to the NATO socket.
Background of question: I will install an outside 19" rack with a broadcast transmitter and an AC 230Volt inverter with 1,5kW
And for 1,5kW I need at least 50mm² on the 12Volt side
It seems your transmitter would use around the same power as the removable winch which the wiring is designed for so should be OK

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well done that's a good set up. Once the main battery is charged, will the second one get charged up with these systems?
Well I've checked it this morning and the screen is displaying a charge of 96% and a voltage of 12.8v. It was measured at the starter battery at 12.8v also, but with the ignition off:
WP_20230514_015.jpg

The interesting thing is the CTEK is showing the battery as more depleted and the auxilary battery was showing a voltage of 13.2v. It sort of suggests to me that it has moved over from the starter battery and is charging the auxilary now:

WP_20230514_014.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
s

So are you suggesting that after spending AUD$120,000 on the vehicle, that spending another AUD$450 is the line in the sand?

Not really, but the pricetag is hefty, nevertheless. Some people think twice before spending that sort of money on jump leads..

Reactions: PBD

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not really, but the pricetag is hefty, nevertheless. Some people think twice before spending that sort of money on some jump leads..
Would be interesting to see if it would be cheaper to get the components separatey ie nato male socket , cables (photovoltaic guys usually have good prices ) , and crocodiles . Xmmm …

Reactions: PBD

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see if it would be cheaper to get the components separatey ie nato male socket , cables (photovoltaic guys usually have good prices ) , and crocodiles . Xmmm …
🤔 I just bought a NATO plug and cut of the crocodiles from one end of the starter cable.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
🤔 I just bought a NATO plug and cut of the crocodiles from one end of the starter cable.
Let’s hope the wiring and fusing of the rear NATO socket will allow the sort of amperage needed for jump starting another vehicle now that you have cut the crocodile clips off.
I just copied and pasted this info from a jump lead supplier website in the U.K. -
For most standard size cars, a set of cables rated for 400 amps will be sufficient. More powerful vehicles such as trucks and SUVs will need somewhere around 800-1000 amps in order to turn over the engine.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Let’s hope the wiring and fusing of the rear NATO socket will allow the sort of amperage needed for jump starting another vehicle now that you have cut the crocodile clips off.
I just copied and pasted this info from a jump lead supplier website in the U.K. -
For most standard size cars, a set of cables rated for 400 amps will be sufficient. More powerful vehicles such as trucks and SUVs will need somewhere around 800-1000 amps in order to turn over the engine.
I cut it long ago for my Defender, so I don’t care to much. On the Defender I just wanted to have a possibility to jumpstart someone without removing my seat. I have another jumpstart cable with both crocodiles still on both sides.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I cut it long ago for my Defender, so I don’t care to much. On the Defender I just wanted to have a possibility to jumpstart someone without removing my seat. I have another jumpstart cable with both crocodiles still on both sides.
IMG_8166.jpegUnderstood. I had the same for my Defender with Anderson plug outside of battery box and jump leads made up with Anderson plug on end.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7811850Understood. I had the same for my Defender with Anderson plug outside of battery box and jump leads made up with Anderson plug on end.
Not being overly sparkie orientated and a bit naive in these things, my issue with using the NATO plug socket connected to croc clips as a jump starter cable is - when I plug in, how do I know the red cable is actually the pos and the black cable neg? After all the plug can go into the 2-pin socket either way, or doesn't it matter. Apologies if it's a stupid question.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not being overly sparkie orientated and a bit naive in these things, my issue with using the NATO plug socket connected to croc clips as a jump starter cable is - when I plug in, how do I know the red cable is actually the pos and the black cable neg? After all the plug can go into the 2-pin socket either way, or doesn't it matter. Apologies if it's a stupid question.
Sorry I don’t know much about NATO plugs and sockets but I would be surprised if it could go in either way! Until someone can work out what that circuit is fused at I would hold off on making those leads up. As per earlier post the NATO plug as far as I’m aware is there primarily to power the rear removable winch which has max 150amp load. So if that circuit is only fused to suit that current loading then it may not be suitable for jump leads. For me I’ll be using the dedicated live post under the bonnet if I have to use jump leads at any point. Thats just my understanding of it. Hope that helps.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve just looked at the pictures on post 33 as I’ve never used NATO plugs only Anderson and they can only be located together one way as I suspected otherwise you could have disastrous consequences 👍🏼

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve just looked at the pictures on post 33 as I’ve never used NATO plugs only Anderson and they can only be located together one way as I suspected otherwise you could have disastrous consequences 👍🏼
Thanks!

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
The interesting thing is the CTEK is showing the battery as more depleted and the auxilary battery was showing a voltage of 13.2v. It sort of suggests to me that it has moved over from the starter battery and is charging the auxilary now:
Yes it's now charging the aux, the charger is mimicing the alternator, the Smartpass flicks to the aux once the main is looked after.

Back
Top Bottom